The online racing simulator
continuing progress in lfs?
(31 posts, started )
I havent played for quite some time, I was wondering if there were going to be any continued progress updates of significance ever going to happen any time soon?
depends on what you call "updates of significance"
updates as in new content.
gahhhhhd i love this game so much, I just wish the updates came faster. it shouldnt take 6 years to develop cars and tracks. but idk the dev team is pretty small.
Ever tried the new Westhill? Or it's not new enough for you?
Of course it doesn't take 6 years to develope cars and tracks,but obviously content hasn't been the main objective for devs in these years.
last update was in april (westhill remake & more stuff for layout editor)
I'm just saying it feels like ive been playing the same exact game since 04, just wondering when were gonna get some new content, not just miniscule updates. Im not hating ill continue to play it, im just curious as to when anything "big" will happen.
Westhill (including new objects and the 'drive anywhere' standard) wasn't a small update :s ... In fact it's so big there are now performance problems.
Quote from MiniVan :I havent played for quite some time, I was wondering if there were going to be any continued progress updates of significance ever going to happen any time soon?

No. LFS in software terms is end of life. A few token updates, (that those in denial will point out) that aren't trivial, but add little to rejuvenating the "racing" game. It's been that way for nearly 10 years and certainly will not change.

I picture the devs sitting in front of BW TV's, working towards building the 1st colour TV, only they deny it's 2015, but hey we've got a tethered remote control and a manual in 100 different languages....We're getting there.

Rift support is a great example LFS development philosophy. A niche game, supporting niche hardware not even to market. Sure the concept is cool, but the "reality" is, VR support for looking at 2005 vintage graphics.
Honestly, I feel the rift update is Irrelevant. Mainly due to hardly anyone having enough money to buy one in the first place. all that time they uses could have went to something a little more useful. But what am I saying? I got banned for 6 months saying the same stuff this post is all about. (Negative Follows)
I said that a couple of times but its not my time, work, money, project, idea's..

At least this whole Rift thing brought us into DX9 territories, various optimizations and probably also the decision of Westhill 2.0 in a higher resolution then Scawen actually would have liked to see .. But... Now everything is good. Who knows how far Eric progressed with other (track(s) and other tweaking? Time will tell.. As long as there are occasional updates everything is fine. This latest update I already rate as pretty big. Looking forward to K and M Razz
"P" will have "physics"? ... Big grin ... (although I'm rather not trying to guess the number of that version Smile )
Quote from TheNoobisonFire :Honestly, I feel the rift update is Irrelevant. Mainly due to hardly anyone having enough money to buy one in the first place.

I've never understood that argument on this forum. Current Rift devkit costs the same as a standard mid-tier monitor, mass produced consumer version will be even cheaper.

Getting the Rift support done and honed now is smart, especially as LFS is the benchmark of VR implementations done right.
Yes, BUT..., Not according to Farcebook.

How does this fit with Scrawens view/aims/min specs for LFS. ?
Answers on the back of an envelope please......

"In a post on the company’s official blog, Oculus recommends the following for the “full Rift experience” when the headset ships in Q1 2016:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer
“The goal is for all Rift games and applications to deliver a great experience on this configuration. Ultimately, we believe this will be fundamental to VR’s success, as developers can optimize and tune their game for a known specification, consistently achieving presence and simplifying development,” the company says."
http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-resolution-recommended-specs/
15 May 2015

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/01/zenimax-carmack-stole-oculus-virtual-reality-facebook/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/21/zenimax-sues-oculus-rift/
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/10/game-publishers-lawsuit-against-oculus-moves-forward/?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=1
Quote from Matrixi :
Quote from TheNoobisonFire :Honestly, I feel the rift update is Irrelevant. Mainly due to hardly anyone having enough money to buy one in the first place.

I've never understood that argument on this forum. Current Rift devkit costs the same as a standard mid-tier monitor, mass produced consumer version will be even cheaper.

Getting the Rift support done and honed now is smart, especially as LFS is the benchmark of VR implementations done right.

OK sir. let me ask you this: What person of the Live For Speed Community would by a Oculus Rift for LFS, than a visually enhanced mid-tier Monitor? Like I said..."I feel the rift update is irrelevant"

Explanation (Because I knew it was coming):Nobody would buy a Rift for LFS in their right mind. Sure, if you owned a rift, than I would see if you wanted to use it towards LFS. But common sense would tell you if a small community would use a Rift on LFS, why would you make this huge update for it? That's like Buying a Steam game for $9.99 but you can get the Steam game PLUS 5 DLC's for $14.99 It really doesn't make sense.

Hopefully this should explain why "This" argument...is an argument.
Quote from TheNoobisonFire :OK sir. let me ask you this: What person of the Live For Speed Community would by a Oculus Rift for LFS, than a visually enhanced mid-tier Monitor? Like I said..."I feel the rift update is irrelevant"

The Rift support primarily attracts new users to LFS, not the other way around. If you really need to ask why someone would get a Rift over a standard single monitor for simulators, then it speaks volumes how clueless you really are about this topic. The only reason you find it irrelevant, is because you haven't experienced VR.

Quote from TheNoobisonFire :Explanation (Because I knew it was coming):Nobody would buy a Rift for LFS in their right mind. Sure, if you owned a rift, than I would see if you wanted to use it towards LFS. But common sense would tell you if a small community would use a Rift on LFS, why would you make this huge update for it? That's like Buying a Steam game for $9.99 but you can get the Steam game PLUS 5 DLC's for $14.99 It really doesn't make sense.

You're being nonsensical. Why are you so stuck on thinking someone would be buying a HMD only to use it with LFS? That's like arguing against LFS having TrackIR support, because you think people would be buying a TIR only to be used with LFS.

VR is all about different games and experiences, simulators just happen to be a match made in heaven for it.

First your argument is that it costs too much, now this. The Rift support is already implemented and programmed in LFS, it's pretty pointless to keep yammering on about it with changing strawman arguments.
Quote from TheNoobisonFire : why would you make this huge update for it?

Quote from cargame.nl :
At least this whole Rift thing brought us into DX9 territories, various optimizations and probably also the decision of Westhill 2.0 in a higher resolution then Scawen actually would have liked to see .. But... Now everything is good.

Handy, I can repeat myself.
noob, sooner or later things have to be implemented, doesn't matter in what order (sort of).
Is it really worth arguing about these things? Scawen is very happy to work at his own pace and I am very glad that he does not get influenced by other forum users. We know what the devs are capable of, just let them do their thing...
..meanwhile go and play some other game if you feel like it.
Quote from TheNoobisonFire :Nobody would buy a Rift for LFS

This is exactly what I did!

I bought a DK1 and one year later a DK2. Both of them almost only for lfs, because thats one of the few full games that run smoothly on my old machines in VR.
Seriously: Everybody who is playing racing games should buy a VR Headset when they will come to market!

Personally I´m so much spoiled that I can´t imagine to play lfs on a monitor again.Ya right
And im done
Quote from TheNoobisonFire :And im done

I feel like you are only thinking about yourself when you are expressing your opinion. You should look at things from different perspectives, not just your own.
Why they dont just open the game for community addons like tracks, cars, etc?

(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG