The online racing simulator
TEST PATCH 0.6H2 (now H11)
(391 posts, closed, started )
It runs really great on my cheap PC, I gained around 25% FPS in H10 compared to version H. Now even my business laptop with Intel HD 4000 graphics accelerator can run LFS at a usable speed as well.
Im having some major graphical bugs on h10, every so often my screen will flicker and my car will either disappear or the screen overlaps itself.
Attached images
Bug.png
That is strange. Has anyone else seen anything like that?

Do you have a frame rate limit set? As now the frame rate can go high and there is a higher possibility of overheating graphics cards. Just in case it's a graphics issue rather than a bug...

It's best to set a limit now with the new frame rate limitation system.

When this happens does it stay like that? Does it change if you use different views or look in different directions? What exactly do you mean by the screen overlapping itself?
it does it for a split second every few minutes, I have the rate locked at 60, ive tried a few misc options but no avail. Ive check my graphics card and a few other games and lfs seems to be the only one. I reverted back to H6 but its still doing it. the screen goes into sort of an infinite loop for a few seconds
Im running until it happens with my GPU temp open so i can see if it overheats

(EDIT)
78 Celsius steady, I'm rated for 90 max, I'm thinking I may have a windows 10 issue.
Discovered it was my revolution pack 2010 reflections on westhill x only o no bugs, carry on.
I have a strange stuttering on BL carpark when I'm driving around a layout. When I don't use V-Sync LFS runs at 100-120 FPS. When V-Sync is enabled I get stuttering when I'm turning and new parts of the layout have to be drawn. See attached screenshot.
Attached images
lfs_00000053.jpg
I just tried turning on VSYNC and got crazy stutters. Soon I found the issue, my CPU underclocked to 1000 MHz from original 3200 MHz (saw on LFSLazy gadgets). Normally when VSYNC is off I get 250+ FPS, so I guess same problem is on your PC.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :I just tried turning on VSYNC and got crazy stutters. Soon I found the issue, my CPU underclocked to 1000 MHz from original 3200 MHz (saw on LFSLazy gadgets). Normally when VSYNC is off I get 250+ FPS, so I guess same problem is on your PC.

It seems that it's something like that because it's stuttering less when the minimum processor speed is set to 100% in the Power Settings. But the stuttering is still there sometimes so I guess the other power saving options are working in the background. I never thought I'd see the day when LFS uses so little CPU power that my low spec computer goes into power saving while playing Smile
(I tried LFSLazy and it seems that because it uses some CPU power it smoothes out LFS Big grin) Thanks for the advice Smile
It should use almost to no CPU, but default LFSLazy set LFS to high priority which should help a bit. Just messing around with something to programatically set Minimum processor state to 100% when LFS is in foreground. Will see the results.
Quote from AnnieC :
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :I just tried turning on VSYNC and got crazy stutters. Soon I found the issue, my CPU underclocked to 1000 MHz from original 3200 MHz (saw on LFSLazy gadgets). Normally when VSYNC is off I get 250+ FPS, so I guess same problem is on your PC.

It seems that it's something like that because it's stuttering less when the minimum processor speed is set to 100% in the Power Settings. But the stuttering is still there sometimes so I guess the other power saving options are working in the background. I never thought I'd see the day when LFS uses so little CPU power that my low spec computer goes into power saving while playing Smile
(I tried LFSLazy and it seems that because it uses some CPU power it smoothes out LFS Big grin) Thanks for the advice Smile

You will always have the risk of random stutter because of game clock and display refresh clock they are not in sync, as i descriped why here:https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1892764#post1892764

The only way to get completely stutter free is to resample/interpolate from game to graphics or get HW that supports G-sync or free-sync or simlar.. Or make LFS sync to refresh rate clock if that is possible.
Quote from hetner :
You will always have the risk of random stutter because of game clock and display refresh clock they are not in sync, as i descriped why here:https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1892764#post1892764

The only way to get completely stutter free is to resample/interpolate from game to graphics or get HW that supports G-sync or free-sync or simlar.. Or make LFS sync to refresh rate clock if that is possible.

Yeah, I know that completely stutter free gaming is not possible with the current system but if you check my screenshot that is far from the random little stutter that you are referring to.

Regarding the interpolation, isn't some kind of interpolation already used in calculating the positions of other cars in multiplayer? Or does that system only use the last know parameters for the calculations?
Quote from AnnieC :
Yeah, I know that completely stutter free gaming is not possible with the current system but if you check my screenshot that is far from the random little stutter that you are referring to.

Well I could understand that you had improved the stutter since that Screenshot was taken as you say here in a later post:
Quote from AnnieC :because it's stuttering less when the minimum processor speed is set to 100%

So i was assuming "less" would be only one frame less or more per physics clock? and that you can't avoid even if you have 1000FPS in overhead and it is still very annoying and very noticable, especially now when the general frame rate is very high and smooth
Quote from AnnieC :
Regarding the interpolation, isn't some kind of interpolation already used in calculating the positions of other cars in multiplayer? Or does that system only use the last know parameters for the calculations?

If anything it would be extrapolation and/or prediction of position, and as i understand it, it has nothing to do with graphics. But there is a synchronization between local and server game clock going on, which could change how these random stutter patterns behave on your PC when switching between offline and online gaming. but it is probably not something most people will notice :-)
Thank you all very much for the testing.

0.6J is now available.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/88217

hetner, the improvement of the synchronisation between physics frames and vertical sync had to wait for another update, along with a few other things inspired by this patch. Thanks for the feedback! Smile
Quote from Scawen :hetner, the improvement of the synchronisation between physics frames and vertical sync had to wait for another update

I totally understand your prioritiesThumbs up And thanks for yet a great update, it have been like getting new HW for free!!
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6H2 (now H11)
(391 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG