The online racing simulator
What a great article. I love the way you wrote it. NIce tips that do come handy.Make this sticky

+1
Quote from Voytech :Thanks for this guide. I stumbled upon it a bit late, as I have been driving for a while now. It would have been very useful back when I started.

Anyway, I just wanted to add just one thing that has helped me tremendously.

Find a "tutor".
Scout for empty servers with just one or two drivers that are faster than you are. Ask for help! Most drivers will take it as a honorable thing to do to help you out. Ask for their setup. You'll have fun and they will too. Ask them to do a few slower laps with you on their tail (not too close, maybe 1s behind). Find a pace that you're comfortable with. Don't try to pass them, just imitate their lines and brake points. Once you get the hang of that, ask them to speed up a bit. Repeat. If you find yourself spinning out or going off track, ask them to switch places. Have them follow you for a few laps and they will surely tell you what you're doing wrong. This is a great thing to do when you're just hot lapping and get stuck at a certain point of the track, knowing you're doing something wrong but can't figure out what the hell it is.

Not only will you learn to be a faster and safer driver, but you'll make a friend or 2 in the progress. I have found that it is the LFS community that makes this game so much fun online.

P.S. Do not be ashamed to ask. Yes you are a noob, but showing that you have the will to learn will earn you respect and differentiate you from the oh so common "I am the best" noobish behavior.

I can certainly vouch for that advice! I found a tutor like you described early on and it helped me immensely. In fact I now belong to the team that helped in the first place. Its amazing how people are willing to help if you ask for it.

And you're right, the LFS community is really something special, especially compared to that of xbox live and most PC FPS, such as counter-strike.(*shudders*)...
Thats cause its in everybodys best interest to have no total noobs racing - one total noob at turn 1 can ruin 16 people's races.
Although I've been playing since S2Q days I am still a li'l bit nooby. Great guide here! +999 to vote for this to be a stickie!
Despite adversity (wife, kids, laptop + mouse, work, age...) I got S2 today (had to shamefully sneak the payment around my wife, reminds me of my teenage guilt).
I've been playing a good deal of demo and think the devs deserve this money already.
I like this guide but would like more advice: what is feasible with a mouse? I expect it would be near impossible to drive GTR or single seaters with that awkward controller.
Apparently I gather from the forums that the thing "button control rate" could help me, what are the ranges for the different car types?
I use 6 for xfg, xrg and 5.5 for xrt to keep it smoother, I wonder how other mousers set that for faster cars.
I see absolutely no chance to get my hands on a wheel, it is much more difficult to smuggle than a virtual license

Greetings from far back on the grid
Thank you
Really good job..
Quote from Stigpt :Thats cause its in everybodys best interest to have no total noobs racing - one total noob at turn 1 can ruin 16 people's races.

I'd say that's because they are just friendly (most of them)
:bump:

Nice guide for the newer drivers! Bumping since it needs a bit 'o love!
Nice bump silver! even learned something myself.
I appreciate your work and will put tit to use.
Quote from Mille Sabords :Despite adversity (wife, kids, laptop + mouse, work, age...) I got S2 today (had to shamefully sneak the payment around my wife, reminds me of my teenage guilt).
I've been playing a good deal of demo and think the devs deserve this money already.
I like this guide but would like more advice: what is feasible with a mouse? I expect it would be near impossible to drive GTR or single seaters with that awkward controller.
Apparently I gather from the forums that the thing "button control rate" could help me, what are the ranges for the different car types?
I use 6 for xfg, xrg and 5.5 for xrt to keep it smoother, I wonder how other mousers set that for faster cars.
I see absolutely no chance to get my hands on a wheel, it is much more difficult to smuggle than a virtual license

Greetings from far back on the grid
Thank you

you need to buy yourself a really cheap wheel, like 25euro or something, then a few months later, you buy a G27... wife will never think about it...

Yeah, my sympathies... had to smuggle my S2 in too... followed my own strategy to get the G27 after initially buying a Genius Twinwheel for myself for Christmas 2010..
Quote from Jettascuba :

you need to buy yourself a really cheap wheel, like 25euro or something, then a few months later, you buy a G27... wife will never think about it...

Yeah, my sympathies... had to smuggle my S2 in too... followed my own strategy to get the G27 after initially buying a Genius Twinwheel for myself for Christmas 2010..

LOL second that. Used to have a Thrustmaster thing - not crappy though but old - now thers a G27. Wife dont notice..
Works on other things as well. I do trials in summertime. Used to have a 2006 200ccm. Now theres a 2011 280ccm in garage.. Wife dont notice.. Immoralistic? Hmm... maybe? :-)

-Jan
Are the setups mentioned still valid?
Are the downloadable setups by BOB that are linked
to in the beginning of this thread still usable with the
latest LFS release?

If so, are they implemented in the same way?

Regards
Jim
thanks, it's was helpful for me. +1
Fine that evryone will send you the setup on the servers .. But where do i find the setup when someone sends it to me and how do i send it to others ?
Quote from oz3bto :Fine that evryone will send you the setup on the servers .. But where do i find the setup when someone sends it to me and how do i send it to others ?

Press "n" until the player list comes up, then next to the player who sent you the setup there will be a green "S" - click it, input a name and click ok. Then go to your garage and will be in there as long as you have the right car selected
Quote from oz3bto :Fine that evryone will send you the setup on the servers .. But where do i find the setup when someone sends it to me and how do i send it to others ?

To send it to other users, you press 'n' untill the connection list comes up then next to there name you press 'SS' which stands for 'Send Setup'
Don't forget about the a.i. cars. In my opinion they are very good as a tutor as their lines and times are quite consistent, they (later edit: somewhat) avoid crashing into you, they recover very well from you crashing into them and most of all they don't hold grudges.
Quote from apo3d : they avoid crashing into you,

I have NEVER had that experience with the AI. I try to use them to practice racing in a tight grid before I go online, but every single time I ragequit because I was going a bit slower than the AI; so instead of overtaking or compensating for my speed, they hit me and knock me off the track.
Isn't it the same with humans on some servers?
Just kidding.

Come to think of it you are right...
What I was thinking of when writing that part is the situation of going side by side in a turn with the a.i. and mainly I was thinking about the predictability of the a.i.'s racing line (if this makes sense).

Usually this results in some paint exchange, mainly because he's following the racing line and is very predictable, while a human might see me, get nervous and leave very much space, or not see me at all and crash into me harder than the a.i. does.

Except for people I've raced before and know, I'm more relaxed going side by side in a turn with a car in singleplayer than in multiplayer, so I consider this usefull when learning to drive the whole track.

I was not explicit; what I had in mind was rather pointing out the fact that in my opinion the a.i. is good at the very beginning for following around and getting the hang of a track, getting some idea of the speeds needed to negotiate the corners and seeing the racing line in a somewhat real situation.

This is because the "painted" racing line is not dynamic with regards to the player speed, while a car in front seems to be more helpfull.
Thanks for the information bro
setup for xfg and xrg are missing. I put all of the setup folder but it wont show up in game. Make one pls!!!!111
Racing lines
-
(newballance989) DELETED by Flame CZE : spam
Hey guys, I need a huge help with setups. I have played this game a long time ago, and I do not remember where should I paste the set that I have already downloaded. Can someone tell me on which folder should I paste it?
Thank you so much

GuiMaverick
You can paste your setup into LFS/data/setups

From a noob to a noob: A small guide.
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG