The online racing simulator
Decent controller for LFS
(16 posts, started )
Hey y'all,

Of course a wheel is best to play LFS, but I work on boats offshore for weeks on end and like to play LFS on my laptop on my downtime. I need something more portable to be able to play with that's better than the keyboard.

I bought a cheap steel series controller at walmart but it sucks, as there is no sensitivity in the joysticks. It's either full left, full right, or full on the gas, or full on the brakes.

Anybody know of a controller that has sensitive joysticks/buttons that could be usable? I'm having a hard time finding this info.

Thanks
Quote from bigdutchman :Hey y'all,

Of course a wheel is best to play LFS, but I work on boats offshore for weeks on end and like to play LFS on my laptop on my downtime. I need something more portable to be able to play with that's better than the keyboard.

I bought a cheap steel series controller at walmart but it sucks, as there is no sensitivity in the joysticks. It's either full left, full right, or full on the gas, or full on the brakes.

Anybody know of a controller that has sensitive joysticks/buttons that could be usable? I'm having a hard time finding this info.

Thanks

Bump

I would like this too please

If you can't airlift a cheap wheel then this is a viable choice, a number of people are very fast with keyboard and mouse. Failing that, is it hard to take out a DFP or similar force feedback wheel ?.

I commend you for your LFS addiction, most people I know on rigs use downtime for sleeping or ........
Logitech dual action G-UF13A (Gamepad)

Harvey -pretty well known in the public racing scene- was very fast with it for years. Now has a wheel.
First off, are you certain that there is not some "mode" button?
To switch between joysticks acting like buttons and being analog?

Quote from Morieza :Handheld Racing Wheel

Beside the obvious fail, that one also seems to only have one axis. (so no seperate gas/brake)
But the channel has some funny controllers, WTF is that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVH4MkyXGEc&list=UUL_KPq7zOVJd5Ijrd3VbeSQ

I think ANY modern gamepad that is not super-duper-cheap should have useable joysticks.
Just stick to the classic gamepad (none of the stuff like above) and none of those "ultra small" ones or similiar. X-Box controllers work on PC: From infrequently playing friends Xbox those always felt like good quality, although probally not the cheapest.
Yes X-Box controller is the best gamepad, its analog is very detail and smooth.

But IMO the good controller for playing LFS "offshore" is mouse (I hope some mouse driver can give some advice),

if you wanna stick to non X-box gamepad (cheaper/bad analog/digital only),
and you need sensitivity adjustment like on keyboard option (steer rate, return rate, etc...),
here... use JOYtoKEY,

...setup the control for keyboard (key, steer rate...), but then you play using gamepad.
#9 - robt
I used a PS2 controller with a PS to USB adaptor. think it was 99p on ebay. Works fine, still use it for non-racing games!
How is the new XBO pad performing in terms of deadzone? I've tried the old 360 pad (brand-new), the deadzone still brothers me.
XBO deadzone,

btw, my PS2 pad have larger deadzone after long time,
but in contrast my 360 pad have smaller deadzone when getting older, till its no deadzone (always move to left XD).
Quote from Morieza :XBO deadzone

Some comments on that video say the deadzone is in the game (CoD) not in the controller. I know YT comments are not to be trusted, but can anyone confirm XBO CoD having or not having deadzone with other controllers?
Quote from robt :I used a PS2 controller with a PS to USB adaptor. think it was 99p on ebay. Works fine, still use it for non-racing games!

that is funny because i use the same exact thing
NegCon by Namco. Get one used, not produced anymore as far as I know.

Youtube is your friend to see how it works. Needs USB-adapter as well.
playstation 3 controller using motionjoy,ive used one for the past 4 years and had no problems

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG