The online racing simulator
InSim Feature Request: Ping
(14 posts, started )
As far as I know, this is not yet available.

I would like to see a way of checking the ping of players, eg 40ms. or soemthing.

People with very high latency/Ping do cause problems when it comes to pitting and such.
#2 - filur
Ping itself isn't a problem, but ping variation is. I'm actually a little tentative toward this being introduced, however I do recognise the problem - i'm rather hoping that Scawen will address it directly rather than give us the tools to implement it badly.
#4 - nikka
Bump.

We are already able to see each players ping using the network debug (shift+f8), so I would really love to be able to see those numbers in, say, the MCI packets as well (or whatever, as long as we can get those numbers via insim). My sumo app really needs this... now the admins have to manually monitor each players ping, and kick those with too high numbers (after a warning of course) since they really mess up the game.
Wouldnt this be a problem to get right though. I mean say someone lags the server then all peoples ping's read back to lfs dedi as high. Say you have an auto kick system if people lag. I think you can see where this is going... more exploits. People joining server's like this with super high pings and then wiping the connections list.....

I have to agree it *could* be a good idea, but i dont see how you would use it effectivly
#6 - nikka
My idea was to have a "report high ping" button for each player. If a player seems to have high pings (you see that very easy when playing sumo ) the other players could click the high-pingers report button. Then the applictation would check and see if he really got a high ping, and then (ultimately, after some warnings and so on) kick him.

Or something like that. I would never implement a 100% automatic system, for reasons you mentioned above, and other.

Edit: My main point was, we already have this information available (using shift+f8) so I really dont see why insim couldn't get this info as well.
That could be done server side with not much issue (I mean, it basically works as a vote kick for the user, with out having to really check there ping.). As long as enough people say the person is causing a disruption then the server could decide to kick the user. Just takes a trained eye. However I am not sure how good crowd wisdom is these days.

We did elect bush, twice
Quote from mcgas001 :Wouldnt this be a problem to get right though. I mean say someone lags the server then all peoples ping's read back to lfs dedi as high. Say you have an auto kick system if people lag. I think you can see where this is going... more exploits. People joining server's like this with super high pings and then wiping the connections list.....

I have to agree it *could* be a good idea, but i dont see how you would use it effectivly

A real "ping" or "latency" value would not be effected by another player with a high ping. They only go "all in the red" due to how the LFS "lag bars" are calculated.

Real "ping" is per user <> Server.
Bump Taped Shut

I would love to see this implemented. I'm running a Sumo server and people with high pings (200-300) cause others to fly away on impact. It's currently impossible for me to spectate those players.

Maybe there's another way to approach this though? I check the TCP connections in the Windows Resource Manager, and there's the information (IP's and latency) I need, but I don't think I can access that from a C# application.
I know citydriving does it in some way.. Didn't researched how this is been done yet but yeah, people with high ping are a problem for years already.
Quote from cargame.nl :I know citydriving does it in some way.. Didn't researched how this is been done yet but yeah, people with high ping are a problem for years already.

You can get someone's IP while connecting right? What if you run a custom ping command on that IP and return its value into the insim?

Just a quick idea that came into my mind.
Meanwhile, RDP into their machine. Start driving for them.
Quote from DarkKostas :
Quote from cargame.nl :I know citydriving does it in some way.. Didn't researched how this is been done yet but yeah, people with high ping are a problem for years already.

You can get someone's IP while connecting right? What if you run a custom ping command on that IP and return its value into the insim?

Just a quick idea that came into my mind.

Already tried that, but alot of ISP's block that. Frown
Yeah, thats not the solution.. I think some deep packet inspection.. But thats quite some work to figure out I'm afraid... If it only would be beneficial to spend this time on it...

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG