The online racing simulator
I'm moving to Sweden
(26 posts, started )
I'm moving to Sweden
So I am leaving Italy after almost 7 years since I have received a good job offer. It's been a mixed feelings relationship with this country but it's always nice to change and try new things and places. I have a couple of very good friends living over there but any suggestions or advices are always welcome. Of course I am very interested in any activity related to cars during my spare time. I've been told about amateur shitty car races which are extremelly cheap and lots of fun. Anyone from Gothenburg? I will be arriving in a month with my GT-Four fully loaded, which I would eventually register with Swedish plates. Are they very strict with car mods? Uhmm

Cheers
#2 - _Rob_
Holy crap! Yeah I've realised many cool cars featured on Speedhunters are located in Sweden. Looking forwards to it! Kinda funny that neither I have been in Sweden before, and all of the sudden I am gonna live there. I love adventures!
I live in Gothenburg but sadly haven't got the slightest clue about amaterur racing (or "pro" racing for that matter). There are at least 4 karting tracks, though and I can definitely vouch for two of them! Smile

http://www.gokartcentralen.se/
http://www.gokart.se/
http://cityarena.se/
http://www.gokarting.nu/

I'd be happy to try to answer any other questions you might have, though.

Again regarding the racing scene, if you are daring you might want to try creating a thread in english over at the swedish-speaking forum garaget.org. Here's a Google Translate link to the events subforum of Västra Götaland: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.garaget.org%2Fforum%2Fviewforum.php%3Fid%3D33&edit-text=

(I am not an active member, I just know OF the forum so I dare not say how friendly they are). Smile

Edit: "amateur shitty car races which are extremelly cheap and lots of fun". You MUST be referring to "Folkrace". There are some links to local clubs at the bottom of this page.
Quote from felplacerad :..."amateur shitty car races which are extremelly cheap and lots of fun". You MUST be referring to "Folkrace"...

LMFAO yeah must be that one, my friends told me about it long time ago.

Thanks for all the information mate, I really appreciate. I first need to get there and settle down, then I will start to write on Swedish forums and stuff, I am so excited Omg omg omg

Cheers!
I dont think the Finnish people will like it that you mix up Finland and Sweden with each other. They have completely different roots.

The language for example has completely different origins.
OK, my bad. Damn, bad googling is my only excuse. That and geography.....

Although, this Finnish game apply well for parts of Sweden as well. But taken to fulfillness, one must go to Finland Smile

Welcome to Sweden NitroNitrous!
Make sure you check up on the various track days. Can be pricey, but heaps of fun if you're in for that alternative.
For example:
http://www.promenta.se/motorsport/motordag
http://www.mantorppark.com
Quote from NitroNitrous :I am very interested in any activity related to cars during my spare time. I've been told about amateur shitty car races which are extremelly cheap and lots of fun. Anyone from Gothenburg? I will be arriving in a month with my GT-Four fully loaded, which I would eventually register with Swedish plates. Are they very strict with car mods?

When doing registration inspection, an imported car should be 100% OEM. However, there is something called "flyttgods" for cars owned for a long time then brought when the owner moves to Sweden, that inspection is way less strict, it must not have any dangerous faults. So as long as it looks neat and tidy it should be not problem.

As for racing, most open track days are listed here http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewforu ... da60ee235382a9d899cc251c4 (use google translate) you will need SBF or SMA racing license to attend, but most organizers sell one-day-licenses.

Amateur shitty car races are of two basic flavours.
* You got "Folkrace" which is rallycross in a car which must be offered for sale for 6500skr after the race (excluding chair and belts) and the organizer may not charge more than 300skr as start fee. You will need a trailer, a car heavy enough to pull the triler, a sledge hammer and a very large crowbar for car repair between race heats. These are run with racing license from the swedish FIA connected organization.
* Then you got "Fempapp" whick is endurance racing with cars bought for under 5000skr, after the race the car is usually crushed by the organizer. Track can be gravel or tarmac. Arbitrary penalty points (often called "bullshiptpoints") are arbirtarily given by the organizer to cars with mods that does not look like they fit in the 5k rule. There are many organizers with varying price limit for the car and race rules. These are usually run without racing license or with SMA (which is a insurance broker offering insurance to racers and track marshals).

Disclamier: All of the above are "about right" not "absolutely correct".
Thanks for all the information guys! Heson, I am so glad to hear about the flyttgods thing! My car has light mods but the only noticeable ones are suspension and exhaust. Regarding the Folkrace, I am bit disappointed with the complexity that it involves, towing the car to the races, getting the license and so on... The Fempapp looks easier! Have you ever raced in them?

Where in Sweden are you guys from? Cheers, I really appreciate all your comments.
Never raced any races. Does a lot of track days on Sviestad and Mantorp, I got only 15 minutes travel to both of them.
Quote from cargame.nl :I dont think the Finnish people will like it that you mix up Finland and Sweden with each other. They have completely different roots.

The language for example has completely different origins.

First off who cares about their Language? Since it's not English - So what?
Anyways Racer X there is a difference between the two countries and its people.
I don't know much about the Finnish people except they evolved from marine mammals instead of primates, hence the name "Fin"
But Sweden?
The history of Swedish People goes back millenia. They were originally from N.America around the Northern Great Plains in Minnesota. There they thrived until the White man came. AS with all the other native tribes, the US government wanted to confine them to a reservation. The St.Paul/Minneapolis reservation. Later, greedy land developers looking to build a football stadium in the area started giving the Swedes on the reservation little viking hats - filled with small pox. The survivors fled the continent to a vast frozen wasteland south of the North Pole. There they rebuilt Sweden and now are converting to Islam.
Hey If the History Channel can do crap like that, then why can't I?
You are so lucky, I love Sweden and their food... it is just delicious. What I love also about Sweden is this https://tranio.com/sweden/ Regarding cars and hobby related to it you will have no problem at all I am sure )
What do you expect? Lynx is a beast after all!

EDIT: Well, of course, some people would not know in first place, especially if they come from very, very far and sees first time this animal.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :What do you expect? Lynx is a beast after all!

EDIT: Well, of course, some people would not know in first place, especially if they come from very, very far and sees first time this animal.

How many videos are out there about some Darwin contestant getting out of a car in the middle of a lion safari?

Where I live we have bobcats, if you're lucky you might see an ocelot and maybe just maybe jaguars. None have been officially seen since around 1900, but you still hear stories here and there of one being spotted. Bobcats are all over the place though. Our big land predators are alligators, coyotes and wolves. but the nastiest animal we have isn't a predator at all. It's feral hogs.
There's a program to reintroduce black bears like what they're doing with wolves, but no bears in Texas just yet. Deer season for archery started today. Personally don't care for hunting deer, I don't like deer meat and for what it costs to go hunting, even if you own the land, you can get some really nice steaks that'll last longer for less money. And a bone-in rib eye beats back strap any day. But then again, you hang up a deer head to represent the food you got, that's cool. You hang up an old meat package to represent the same thing? Yeah. People'll look at you funny.
I prefer fishing - salt water.
You know where I run into a lot of people from Scandinavian countries at? Central America. Yeah. Central America. Go figure. Is it the food? The coffee? Mayan ruins? LOL The lack of bears?
Fancy
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :in that same park i also tickled 2 bears under the paws..
they make a very funny sound when you do that.

i strongly recommend other to NOT DO THAT !

its not a animal to play around with. neither is the Lynx.

but i gues youre fast enough UM21 Big grin

i think the bear and lynx is the most dangerous animals in sweden. perhaps also to mention the common moose(elk). had one on my tail once.. you dont want that..just trust me Smile

ROFL my wife and I say something like that about a park around here, only it's about alligators.
Alligators are nowhere near as aggressive as crocodiles are. I think that they are smarter though. A lot smarter. But the problem is complacency. You can sit around a wild alligator for years and it never do a thing, then one day it just bites you.
Lynxes.... They're about the size of a bob cat, right? Not as big as a lion, or even a cheetah, but a whole lot bigger than your average house cat?
Quote from Racer Y :Lynxes.... They're about the size of a bob cat, right? Not as big as a lion, or even a cheetah, but a whole lot bigger than your average house cat?

I've always thought of them as in the general size category that lends itself to the following method of management...

...but perhaps it's only their relative rarity around here that keeps my leg in one piece.
LOL
On the subject of how strict sweden is on car mods, it's not that bad in practice, but it is on paper. For example there is a certain kind of car classification which states that you can only use OEM parts on that car. And this applies on almost every car newer than around 1990.
But generally as long as you can hustle your car trough the MOT, or safety check whatever you wanna call it, which is an annual thing you have to do: you're in the clear. And whether you pass with whatever mods you have is hit miss with which person you get to perform this test.

But the car needs to have a certain A/F ratio reading, a working cat, functional brakes, good suspension bushings, working seat belts, warning triangle amongst other things.

And the "shit car rally" you're referring to is called Folkrace
One of the things I trip out about y'all Scandinavians is how multi-linguistic y'all are. I was in a bar in.... Belize? Could've been Honduras. I was talking to this dude from Norway. This guy knew six languages.
Oh yeah... Vikings. Have you heard about the Aztec legend of Quetzalcoatl? There's a lot of suspicion that this person was a Viking.
Well his legend didn't start there. Indian tribes along the Louisiana/Texas gulf coast. It describe the same person almost to a "T".
All of the stories from these tribes, save one describe this guy as being a good person. He helped them out and got along real well with the tribes. But one tribe claimed the guy was flat out evil and threatened to throw them all into a fiery pit. Now it's hard to date all of this, but you can see this route that "Quetzalcoatl" took. So I'm wondering if maybe this guy WAS a viking. If so, was he a Christian convert? See he upset the religious authority of the Aztecs with his condemning of human sacrifice. If I'm not mistaken, early vikings were totally cool with human sacrifice. He wasn't known for preaching gospel or any sort of missionary stuff, but a lot of his mannerisms described in these stories sounded like a Christian to me. The Aztecs set him up and got rid of him. Unfortunately, I'm getting a lot of distractions while trying to type this, so I can't remember exactly what they did to him, but his story ended there.
Now if this guy really existed (kinda hard not to think so)I'm thinking he was a Viking probably shortly after Greenland was discovered.
All of the tribes described him as a bearded white dude with blue eyes.
But no description of any weapons that vikings were known to have. A shipwreck survivor maybe?
So in a nutshell, you're saying Danish folk tend to over complicate things when they talk is the reason for the linguistic skills. Makes sense.
And with the viking heritage, it makes sense that your language would be that complicated. Think about it. You had all these tribes coming together. Eventually forming one super tribe or another. These original tribes had different words for things and different pronunciations too.

I don't think the guy was an albino. I don't think Azrec priests would've handled albinos very well. Besides, the guy had a beard too. I know about viking exploration in pre columbian Americas, But there's no real hard evidence of the vikings coming this far south at all. But common sense makes me think this is highly possible. The way the vikings tended to sail, hugging coastlines, I don't see why they couldn't at least get as far south as the southern US coast.
As far as who this Quetzalcoatl person was? Who knows? The shipwrecked viking makes for a good theory, but it could've been anybody, if anyone at all.

I'm moving to Sweden
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG