The online racing simulator
hiii
is westhill coming this summer?

thanks
Whesthill cum aut jesterdej
I guess now Westhill is close from perfection Big grin
How is it going, Scawen?
Quote from Flotch :I guess now Westhill is close from perfection Big grin

I don't know how it's going, but if Eric has finished fixing bugs in Westhill, if he could work on other track or car interior (or at least car rims) while Scawen finish his improvements, that could be perfect.
Sca be like meh idk bout my community.

Jokes aside. For me as having played since December 2002, it is plain saddening what has become of LFS and it's development. In 2006 things still looked ever so promising for the future. I even remember LFS mates of mine winning "S3 licenses" at leagues. As it turns out 8.5 years on they still haven't been able to receive their rewards from the long gone league organisations. Not that it bothers them anymore cause I've seen nearly all my LFS mates fall off the radar after having lost their hopes and interest.

And I, I seem to just have stuck around having fait in- and love for LFS.. But since early (insert year) history seems to indefenitly repeat itself and my love light for LFS is slowely burning out too...

One should only handle few false promises. And one should not shine brighter than the truth is.

So my question to you ScaViEr... Where are we really, with LFS? Is there really a promising release in the nearby future. And are you certain that if what ever update comes... you will be able to make progress on an acceptable pace? I respect that you're lifes have changed with several other priorities. But please don't say that because of things in life you have only been able to release clutch and engine wear simulation, a Formula BMW, open configs and virtual 3D support ever since 2007. Even if considered the tyre physics. Because don't get me wrong I am not insulting you. But this is just not reasonable to us, your customers, your loyal fans. And I just hope you can find joy back in your work in LFS. Because it's still something special. And I have been very saddened by slowely seen the population take a dive.

~ Rocky
Quote from nacim :
Quote from Flotch :I guess now Westhill is close from perfection Big grin

I don't know how it's going, but if Eric has finished fixing bugs in Westhill, if he could work on other track or car interior (or at least car rims) while Scawen finish his improvements, that could be perfect.

They could just release cars with unfinished art. Some generic gutted interior, and camouflaged bodywork. Call em pre-production. Give us a bunch of these, spread out across all possible permutations of engine/drivetrain/etc configurations. We test em for free incl. their TPS reports because we're so grateful.
Who gives a shite about this anymore? They are rattling out tracks for Assetto Corsa every day and we're supposed to be waiting for an update to Westhill.....seriously, who gives a shite.
..I do.
I'm actually looking forward to the HD Blackwood track coming out soon for Assetto Corsa.
Quote from rockclan :Sca be like meh idk bout my community.

Jokes aside. For me as having played since December 2002, it is plain saddening what has become of LFS and it's development. In 2006 things still looked ever so promising for the future. I even remember LFS mates of mine winning "S3 licenses" at leagues. As it turns out 8.5 years on they still haven't been able to receive their rewards from the long gone league organisations. Not that it bothers them anymore cause I've seen nearly all my LFS mates fall off the radar after having lost their hopes and interest.

And I, I seem to just have stuck around having fait in- and love for LFS.. But since early (insert year) history seems to indefenitly repeat itself and my love light for LFS is slowely burning out too...

One should only handle few false promises. And one should not shine brighter than the truth is.

So my question to you ScaViEr... Where are we really, with LFS? Is there really a promising release in the nearby future. And are you certain that if what ever update comes... you will be able to make progress on an acceptable pace? I respect that you're lifes have changed with several other priorities. But please don't say that because of things in life you have only been able to release clutch and engine wear simulation, a Formula BMW, open configs and virtual 3D support ever since 2007. Even if considered the tyre physics. Because don't get me wrong I am not insulting you. But this is just not reasonable to us, your customers, your loyal fans. And I just hope you can find joy back in your work in LFS. Because it's still something special. And I have been very saddened by slowely seen the population take a dive.

~ Rocky

+1
Working on it

On 24th January I gave quite detailed info about what I had to do, to release the compatible open paths test patch.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1880248#post1880248

I just came to have a look here and I'm a bit disappointed to see old style groaning and moaning. It really is a bit 'old'.

Yeah, LFS needs updates and we are working on it. Are the moaners and groaners working on their personal issues? Get a hobby, ride a bike up a hill, just do something. Try another sim if you like, or something in the 'real world'. Just don't come here and moan and groan! It doesn't make us work faster. It wastes your time and ours.

For the people who 'believe' that we are working on something...

Referring to my post of 24th January...

1) I've completed the hidden object removal system for the external TV cameras which are now done a much better way, with individual draw lists per camera, instead of switching the visible objects in a path-related way. So the hidden object removal system is near complete. There is one more thing to do with that, on open configs, something about seeing start lights on the selected 'X' config, when you are on the path from another config.

2) I've completed, yesterday, the lighting on the cars, so that they use the path lighting data when they are on open configs. So, for example, the car goes dark when in a tunnel. This involves creating lighting textures per path. Seems to work well.

The biggest remaining thing for the compatible test patch is to create a way to save hidden object files for the existing public tracks. After I've done that last thing in (1) then I'll look at generating those files. I also do editor updates for Eric, as he's still going round Westhill finishing things, making sure there is good collision detection on everything, etc. There are some other things to look at for the compatible test patch.
idk why its so important to not draw hidden objects as we all have computers that can handle much more than lfs. it just causes extra work and probably will bring like 10-20 fps more, and im sure it will have bugs to fix. so cons overweight pros in my view.
Scawen, keep up the good work! Just ignore all the people who got nothing better to do than moan. I still believe in you and your team that you can bring LFS back to a completely new level! I do understand that there's a lot of work to do, but just don't give up. Smile

And S.E.T.H, no, not exactly. I got a really, really old PC and it is rather important for someone like me to have as much FPS as possible! Those are the little things that make up a good product.. Wink
Because thats what everyone else does. And that's why Scavier isn't.

(Arg. Ninja'd. Refers to post above the post above).
The hidden object removal system is particularly important for the new Westhill because it has so many objects. The scenery beyond the track is highly detailed, which is great fun for driving around all over the place in open configs, just for fun or if people make long course tracks using the access roads.

Also to allow people with lower spec computers to enjoy LFS. The lower frame rate on open configs was pointed out by many people, even on the older tracks.

Also with the Oculus Rift, two full images must be drawn and the frame rate must never drop! The hidden object system is very important then.
Glad to hear you have finished part of your objectives Big grin . Good luck for the rest Wink
good work Scawen!!!
I do understand that it's dangerous for you to write progress because of the moaners and so on. But just so you know there still are people who really enjoy reading progress reports so thanks a lot and have fun developing what's left!
also more fps optimisation = more room for future improvement to cars/track details and graphics enhancement.

keep your great work Scawen, I hope will have some fresh cars update after that!!
You can dislike the time it takes but I'd still say Scawens approach to things is (in theory) the correct one. Fix things, even if they take ages so you don't have to fix them a second time in a couple of months.

Just look at the mess Kunos is creating with AC yet again. It's not optimized very well, still has the same problems as Netkar Pro had 10 years ago and just screams for improvements and features in every single aspect.

Still I keep coming back to it because it's so much fun to drive, just like Netkar was. And if he asks for more money I'll gladly throw it at him just like I will do for LFS. They both got vastly different problems but both manage to simulate the core driving aspect to such a great level that I can glance over even the biggest turn off points and come back wanting more.

There is plenty of variety even in our niche simracing market these days, so if you get bored with the same content you can drive new one somewhere else.
Thanks for the update Scawen, plenty of us here following with interest, ignore the moaning, whatever you do they will find something to complain about Thumbs up
I have never had an issue with LFS being buggy. Ever. It has never crashed on me. I think that says a lot about the care taken with programming for the sim.

Had it been updated every 5 minutes.... Well, it'd be a different story.
Quote from Scawen :
I just came to have a look here and I'm a bit disappointed to see old style groaning and moaning.
...the text of the progress LFS...

We do not whining. We are happy for your progress. There are new passion into of reality as you)
Now we are "not sick" this simulator, but this simulator gave a lot of experience in driving. Thanks you!
Welcome to korch-maschinen))
This thread is closed

Westhill Progress (November)
(946 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG