The online racing simulator
I know there is hotlapping...

I leave this thread for a while with an image OK?

Quote from cargame.nl :

So, LFS has online racing...
I think we all knew that. What's your point?
Quote from farcar :
Quote from cargame.nl :

So, LFS has online racing...
I think we all knew that. What's your point?

I think he underlined "intense"
Who cares that the rift make us slower?!

Speed is nothing without fun and immersion Big grin
LFS is dead for the present community but not for the Devs. That is okay. Maybe in the near future LFS gains his old golden times but this belongs to Scawen and Eric.

we do not see that progress which Scawen is talking about neither they can feel what we feel about LFS because they have a newer Version of everything -
cause they are the Devs Big grin

At the current State we cant do anything for LFS and this is getting very frustrated so i think i understand why Cargame.Nl is getting angry by the time. For many Members around here LFS is like an baby for them which is dying and they cant do nothing like Scawen is a doc who just says all the time "We have new methods to revive it but we wont do it till this is 110% proven to be work out"

Quote from Xenix74 :Who cares that the rift make us slower?!

Speed is nothing without fun and immersion Big grin

yes but you could delete the Fun Wink without any actual racing going on Wink
#308 - col
Quote from Be2K :LFS is dead for the present community but not for the Devs.

If you are going to troll, don't contradict yourself so completely - it makes you seem like a fool.
Clearly if a game has a 'present community', then by definition it is not 'dead' - whatever the devs are doing!

If you don't feel like you can be part of the community and 'life' of LFS, then maybe it is you who is dead 'inside'! - the endless negativity of trolling will do that to a person. Sucks to be you.
Quote from col :
If you are going to troll, don't contradict yourself so completely - it makes you seem like a fool.
Clearly if a game has a 'present community', then by definition it is not 'dead' - whatever the devs are doing!

So if LFS isn't dead, how would you describe the current situation? Some days ago I logged in after more than 3 years I've stayed away from LFS and there is nothing like before.

No endurance races except of the german DoP Tour (Desire of Patience) and the most shocking thing is that there won't be any New Dimension Racing events in the near term. I'm sure I will speak for many people in this community when I say that NDR events have been the best events ever in Live for Speed in many respects.

It's really sad to see this great simulation slowly dying and I hope the devs will bring out S3 in 2015. LFS needs something new and then I'm sure many of those guys who went over to iRacing or other sims might give it a second chance so that we can have great events like a 24 hour race again.
#310 - col
Quote from Timo1992 :
Quote from col :

So if LFS isn't dead...

I don't think it's necessary to post a subjective opinion on the mortal status of LFS, the fact that you and I are posting here on this thread proves that LFS is not dead. Doesn't take much of an intellect to work that out.

As far as health goes, I think things are very positive. Scawen has found some motivation, there is new content in the pipeline, I'm looking forward to the next update.
Quote from Be2K :snippety snip

Good post! +1

Quote from col :I don't think it's necessary to post a subjective opinion on the mortal status of LFS, the fact that you and I are posting here on this thread proves that LFS is not dead.

As with many things, there's many different shades of grey in between. LFS is not dead, but it is hardly alive. LFS can hardly breathe and is slipping into coma. Of course there are still some visitors stopping by every now and then. Despite the doctors' numerous attempts of treatment, LFS' condition seems to worsen with every month and close ones don't have the energy to maintain hopeful.

Quote from col :[...] there is new content in the pipeline, I'm looking forward to the next update.

"Doesn't take much of an intellect to work [...] out" that phrases like these are being looked at with great care or even some bitterness by today's gaming communities. We've heard it all before, so don't be disillusioned about how many people won't believe anything developers (or even worse: publishers) say, until proven otherwise.

However I'm glad Scawen views things the way he does. He doesn't enforce that everything works as intended and issues will be fixed soon™. And I'm pretty sure if nothing else, money income will be the deciding factor if there is a lack of motivation. So we have a steady development in a pace ScaViEr feel comfortable with to look forward to.

Anyways I hope they have taken a break by now, merry Christmas!
So since the patch won't be released for Christmas, can we get a small progress report with some screenshots of the improved shadows you have been working on Scawen?
I guess Scawen is working out to sort a test patch (not including Westhill) ... so, better to not ask for 'trivial' thing Big grin
rem :
Quote from Scawen :... Westhill will not be out by Christmas. Maybe I can get the new paths system test patch released...

Hi, sorry but I can't release a test patch before Christmas. Apart from having to sort things out a bit for the family, for Christmas, one thing that knocked me off my feet for a while is the new EU VAT rules, coming into force on 1st January.

It's a set of complicated new rules for digital services (including ours) where VAT will be charged at the rate where the buyer is located. Sounds simple enough but signing up is not easy, specially as the government's website doesn't work and the technical support people have no idea what we are talking about. If you want to know more about it, just search for #EUVAT in Google. Apparently governments have known about this for a long time (6 years) but amazingly they did not inform us about it at all, and we only learned about it the other day by chance. Really odd, and very bad news for small businesses. We can deal with it, though it is a lot of trouble, not helped by HMRC's total incompetence. Many smaller businesses than ours are simply giving up because of the massive accounting and tax burden being imposed on them.
So we better buy (preorder) S3 this year Big grin
Quote from Flotch :I guess Scawen is working out to sort a test patch (not including Westhill) ... so, better to not ask for 'trivial' thing Big grin
rem :
Quote from Scawen :... Westhill will not be out by Christmas. Maybe I can get the new paths system test patch released...

Last time he tried to rush out a patch before christmas, it didn't end very well... He won't make the same mistake twice.
yep, no hurry needed !
Bad news for you guys about this new year's gift tax ... But agree with Daniel-Cro : if it is linked to 2015 'only', you can open pre-order before Big grin , you will not be disapointed ^^
This was to be expected. Both issues, taxes go up and lfs is slow to develop. Sad day.
I hate paperwork and tax for myself. And now it even slows LFS, that $*cks.
To be clear, we have been paying VAT on all EU sales ever since the early days when sales took off and pushed us over the VAT registration threshold. We just didn't add it on to the price - we swallowed up that cost ourselves so all customers paid the same price. So it's not really any more cost to us. In theory it's just an administrative burden that we are actually well placed to handle, because we already collect the necessary information from our customers (which country they are in).

The main problem for us at the moment is the UK tax website (HMRC) just doesn't really work (it just reports a vague error message when we try to enrol) and their online services helpdesk just ask us to contact a different helpdesk, which then ignores us. The phone people literally just say "I don't know the answer, but I can get someone else to phone you back..." and guess what, they never do. This is the government, not some dodgy company like BT or Virgin who you'd expect to act this way. Pretty bad, but you'd expect we can sort this out somehow eventually.

A bigger deal really is that many smaller businesses than ours, who don't have a 'Victor' to sort out the complex administration functions, are just going to stop selling to other EU countries, or close down their business altogether due to the massive administrative burden.
#321 - col
Quote from edge3147 :This was to be expected. Both issues, taxes go up and lfs is slow to develop. Sad day.

hmm, it's not about taxes going up - read Scawens post again.

Unfortunately, the current EU tax regs cause an unfair trading environment because businesses based in EU countries with higher local VAT rates can't compete fairly with those in lower VAT states. I guess that the new rules are intended to prevent those problems... I imagine that a whole lot of other unforeseen issues will be caused, and it doesn't half complicate things for smaller businesses like LFS.

Definitely not 'to be expected' though.
Exactly that. The new rules are intended to stop companies like Amazon getting an office in Luxembourg because it has a very low VAT rate. This is why the VAT is now charged at the customer's location instead of the business's location. Nice idea but the people who made up the rules didn't pause to consider the effects on small businesses, who will now have a massive administrative burden that they simply didn't have before.

Small businesses, including sole traders operating from the kitchen table, will need to account separately for sales in all the EU member states, store information about every customer's location at the time of purchase and keep that for 10 years, record 2 separate non-conflicting pieces of evidence about the customer's location, register for VAT and submit detailed VAT returns 4 times a year if they ever sold one single digital item to a person in an EU country that is not their own.
hmm ... sounds a nice headache for companies ... looks like an invitation to cheat, for the bigger companies of course ... Let's see in few monthes what they will find to workaround this ^^ :/
I wonder how do the bigger ones deal with it -- the ebay, steam and others... Their goal is to provide easy-to-use selling and buying service, might be usefull to read their statements on the problem.

And I really don't understand what exactly is the problem for LFS -- the fact that there is some more monkey work to be done? Or is that you don't actually know how exactly do you deal with it? If latter, it sound really bad and at this moment when people are on hollidays already nothing can be really done properly...
I'm not good at this economy thing. Does this mean that the price will go up a bit here in Lithuania (as well as in other countries except for UK)? In other words I should add £12 to my account now instead of some time after 2015?
This thread is closed

Westhill Progress (November)
(946 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG