The online racing simulator
#26 - kdo
Good news and good jobs !
#27 - 5tag
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Content does sometimes need to get put on hold to make important engine changes.

Sometimes? From what us users can see content has been put on hold for half a decade with small interruptions. Content (Eric's efforts), in the presence of tweaks more significantly tracks, are what LFS needs most at this point apart from tyre physics (Scawen's work).
And I'm not bashing this current graphics engine change as it aids a content update, but that quote sounds a bit out of perspective to me.

Anyways, really happy about the progress reports and very much looking forward to the Westhill test patches! Keep at it devs.
-
(TheNoobisonFire) DELETED by Scawen : deleted the unrelated spam and the replies related to it
-
(TheNoobisonFire) DELETED by Scawen : deleted the unrelated spam and the replies related to it
-
(dawesdust_12) DELETED by Scawen : deleted the unrelated spam and the replies related to it
-
-
(farcar) DELETED by Scawen : deleted the unrelated spam and the replies related to it
-
(cargame.nl) DELETED by Scawen : deleted the unrelated spam and the replies related to it
-
-
-
(cargame.nl) DELETED by Scawen : deleted the unrelated spam and the replies related to it
-
(TheNoobisonFire) DELETED by TheNoobisonFire
-
The motorbike racer in me cringes at the ARMCO so close to the outside of the track.
Quote from Forbin :The motorbike racer in me cringes at the ARMCO so close to the outside of the track.

What about the armco into a sudden tyre barrier. That seems painful as well.
somehow I don't like the idea that westhill will be on a test patch first. I'd rather see it out at once to each and everyone and witness EVERY SINGLE S2 server has westhill running for the next 2 MONTHS at least

I am also thinking that it will give devs quite a while to work on other updates, with people not whining about lack of content. not that they do it so much these days. interior of the cars and exterior could be vastly improved, but environment, roads, trees etc look perfectly fine for 10+ year old game. I just have been trying to find where the sun is.

btw @cargame my english hurts when reading your posts
Quote from S.E.T.H :somehow I don't like the idea that westhill will be on a test patch first. I'd rather see it out at once to each and everyone and witness EVERY SINGLE S2 server has westhill running for the next 2 MONTHS at least

Well the devs could just release the new westhill onto an incompatible patch (i can already imagine every active server updating their dedis to the most recent one and trying out the new track )
but I find that it would be a bit of a mistake. What if someone finds a flaw in the track (serious or not)? I find the idea of releasing it to a test patch very solid. If a flaw is found on a test patch, it can be corrected and a new test patch will be released. If the track has most of its issues solved, it can be released to a new incompatible official patch.
-
(cargame.nl) DELETED by Flame CZE : off-topic
The amount of detail..it looks absolutely amazing! Keep up the awesome work
cargame.nl I don't understand, how can you be representative of the most (and only) populated S2 server, when you're being offensive as hell to anyone. Even if you're in charge of that project, you should just think twice more often, before you spout something on forums. It doesn't do any good to anyone.
some of those pictures really highlight that lfs needs better shadows
no more levitating fences pls
Quote from Scawen :Hello Racers,

Eric has made the scenery highly detailed and driveable, which makes the open configurations a lot of fun.

YES! For Cruise server be amazing! Cant wait! Great work LFS Devolopment!
Awesome pics! Good work, keep it up! But yeah, I want to have new tracks as many and as soon as possible. Nice to see progress happening. New Westhill looks magnificient!
Quote from Kid222 :you should just think twice more often, before you spout something on forums. It doesn't do any good to anyone.

You are talking to the wrong person I guess.. I've had it a little with people who have 0,0000001% experience with LFS (S2) and start to rage about for example a RB4 texture. This is about Westhill getting an update and the people with the biggest mouth don't even know what the current track looks like. And I should say nothing about that? Funny. No, not in my book, sorry.
Scavier... Looks absolutely stunning!

Can't wait to try it out, but take your time, practice makes perfect.

And Scawen, thanks so much for the continious progress reports, I really like this.
Nice progress report ! I like the quality of these fences, but what I really want to see more, it the background scenery, I'm tired of these pics in the background lol

Thanks Scawen & Eric
Looking at flags on 4th pic...
Much sexy.
However ... most of servers have wind turned off, which make flags disappear. So whats the whole purpose of flags then? I believe it would be much better to show them even when wind is off, and give just a tiny bit of air flow effect
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Looking at flags on 4th pic...
Much sexy.
However ... most of servers have wind turned off, which make flags disappear. So whats the whole purpose of flags then? I believe it would be much better to show them even when wind is off, and give just a tiny bit of air flow effect

+1

Flags are awesome !

We want 3D animated trees like in Blackwood on this track !
#42 - CSF
Quote from dawesdust_12 :
Quote from CSF :Are we really losing our selves over fence posts? Really?

It's an important addition to the engine. DX10 added it as a library feature, so I think it's nice that LFS' engine has that functionality added to it as well in DX9, plus it allows for more intricate repeated geometry instead of alpha textures.

EDIT:
Actually, it seems that DX9 has geometry instancing support as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometry_instancing

Terrific. That'll make up for all the stale content. I look forward to wishing early 2009 a happy 6th birthday on January 1st, its grown up so fast.
Can't wait to drive this track
Quote from cargame.nl :
Quote from Kid222 :you should just think twice more often, before you spout something on forums. It doesn't do any good to anyone.

You are talking to the wrong person I guess.. I've had it a little with people who have 0,0000001% experience with LFS (S2) and start to rage about for example a RB4 texture. This is about Westhill getting an update and the people with the biggest mouth don't even know what the current track looks like. And I should say nothing about that? Funny. No, not in my book, sorry.

I agree with cargame.nl here. Why urge him to show some restraint, when the whiners aren't showing any?

I never understood all the complaints about the lack of progress of LFS.
- If you think speedy, significant updates were part of the deal when you bought an S2 license: You didn't read carefully.
- If you think complaining, sarcasm, and ranting will stimulate Scavier to work harder: Think again, or perhaps get a brain first.
- If you think Scavier are doing a lousy job developing LFS: Go buy another sim, or create one yourself.

So if there's a progress report from the devs and the main reaction is whining, then I can only agree with cargame.nl's conclusion: Spoiled kids.
Nice work Scawen & Eric, it looks promisingggg. But why it takes so long .... 21st June 2014 was first information - "We expect to release this version for testing in a few weeks " and FOUR, FIVE months later we are shuffle around.
I see a lot of the work on new patches, but I think it is my opinion, your "first" dont know "priority" work Oculus Rift support was step outside it did not help LFS community.... Sorry.
This time could be focused for improvements modern interier and exterier cars. I do not know if it's true but it is easier create now model as create Oculus Rift ?
New GTR and demo cars + update 1-2 tracks certainly most pozitiv mood.
I admire your work as 2 people can keep this game hats down 100 point.

On internet I found lots of pictures nice "mod" cars as someone create and this would attract simracers / endurance - spritn race /
Already created LFS new cars, this is new LFS - http://i.imgur.com/0kOeVGT.jpg

Sry for bad English.
-
-
-
-
(Bose321) DELETED by Scawen : deleted the unrelated spam and the replies related to it
Lots of detail on these shots. The marking on the track really look like dirty real job, nice!

Good job. Keep up!
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : deleted the unrelated spam and the replies related to it
Nice! But are you going to do some work on the shadows for the fences? They do look a bit weird just floating there?
I definitely do want to change the shadow rendering system! And as you can imagine, Eric would like nothing more than that! My last century rendering system puts shadows where there shouldn't be any and misses shadows where there should be some. But I think it is of a lower priority compared with releasing the Westhill update.
#49 - pipa
Looks great, really nice work.
-
Agreed low priority; thanks for clarifying.
This thread is closed

Westhill Progress (November)
(946 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG