The online racing simulator
Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
I hope we don't go down the American route of neutralising the race every time there is any risk. Why not just ask the drivers to slow down under yellows like they are meant to (and coming up with a way so that they aren't penalised for doing so more than anyone else - local speed limits with gradual "slowing down" zones somehow).
Quote from tristancliffe :local speed limits with gradual "slowing down" zones somehow).

Le Mans 24h had it this year, but there was critique that different cars have different brakes and when Safe Zone was in Mulsanne straight at place where cars go +300kph,it could be dangerous if someone in front of someone else brakes suprisingly early. Still, that would be nice also for F1. Something should also be done to SC periods, when going into pits the driver can himself decide the speed and gain positions by going fast.
150kph limiter for SC periods (if everyone's on track and can't overtake it could be no limit) and safe zone with pit limit?
Note the green flag waving. smh.
Quote from dimassss :http://youtu.be/ASnqrbMtnos?t=1m5s
video of the crash :/

One thing that tells something about the power of that hit is that the light F1 car sends that tractor high in the air. Luckily that guy under Sutil's car came out of there 5sec before the crash.

By the way, see the reaction time of that guyon the left?
even hand recorded stuff gets immediately blocked by FOM
Quote from tristancliffe :I hope we don't go down the American route of neutralising the race every time there is any risk. .

Like in the German race? I think, I really don't remember but there was a race where 1 car spun and the SC was out, I really think that the Race Director has some lack of common sense.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Note the green flag waving. smh.

Green flags after the scene of the accident, that's how it's always done.

Quote from CodeLyoko1 :even hand recorded stuff gets immediately blocked by FOM

Yeah, it's even written on the tickets. They'll remove anything shot during the race :/
Quote from chanoman315 :
Quote from tristancliffe :I hope we don't go down the American route of neutralising the race every time there is any risk. .

Like in the German race? I think, I really don't remember but there was a race where 1 car spun and the SC was out, I really think that the Race Director has some lack of common sense.

I didn't think it was that bad really. The professional talented drivers would always slow down under yellows wouldn't they? But no, the Internet cry babies get more upset about track limits than about something important.
Terrible accident.

The tractor recovery under yellows thing is one of those relics of a bygone era. They've been pushing their luck with those things for decades now, it was only a matter of time. Everyone has cringed at the thought of an accident involving one (you may wave a yellow flag or impose a speed limit and a g-limit and etc etc, but you could still have a brake failure on a car).

Blame whoever signs off on that being a safe way to recover cars under yellow flags each year.
It's tragically ironic that the very thing Brundle has been warning against with relation to snatch/recovery vehicles has happened in almost a carbon copy of his Suzuka 1994 accident. I'm amazed that Bianchi is even alive after this impact and just hoping he can pull through without too much lasting damage.
Quote from dimassss :
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Note the green flag waving. smh.

Green flags after the scene of the accident, that's how it's always done.

I guess. Seems awfully close/potentially confusing, though.
Something else worth thinking about is that of the 3 significant errors Hamilton made this weekend, he escaped from the 2 in the race (running wide at T1 and into Spoon) with only a couple of seconds lost mainly because of the tarmac run-offs. If there'd just been grass and gravel there he'd have either lost significantly more time or potentially damaged the car/retired. In comparison, it seems like the biggest mistake Rosberg made all weekend was in car setup, which cost him rear tyre life in the race.
"If". If Rosberg had "lost control" at a different corner at Monaco......

It's a fair comment though, except perhaps he wouldn't have pushed so hard in those sections had there been no safety margin.
Quote from dimassss :http://youtu.be/ASnqrbMtnos?t=1m5s
video of the crash :/

Mirror
Gfycat

OMG... That is one horrendous impact, if it manages to shift a - what? 8-10 ton? vehicle...
Horrible! Almost hit head! Damnit.
Quote from tristancliffe :I hope we don't go down the American route of neutralising the race every time there is any risk. Why not just ask the drivers to slow down under yellows like they are meant to (and coming up with a way so that they aren't penalised for doing so more than anyone else - local speed limits with gradual "slowing down" zones somehow).

I do not know how to solve it. Maybe enforcing minimum sector times, then they can go slow at the accident and then compensate without losing any distance to the car behind.
Don't let the SC out maybe, the leader marks the pace of 120kph or something like that for the time the recovery tractor does the job and then the race may restart, it was an awful accident, there's really no one to blame, but if there was someone I must say that the race directors or the ones that make the decisions in the races of how to move the marshals and that stuff.
the Main thing that just needs to change from this is no tractors on the Race zone without a Safety car, when a car crashes it can usually get picked up from a crane without any heavy equipment needed on the race area and these should still be able to avoid the SC.

But that being said the position of the crash in question was very dangerous anyway and would of warranted a SC, had the tractor not been there he most probably would of hit and killed some workers.
Crashed Sauber on tractor is dangerous. In Canada 2013 a worker was ran over by tractor with Gutierrez' car and now tihs.
Apparently the medical helicopter could not get into the circuit due to weather. It would make sense to cancel any race where full medical resources cannot be available. Hindsight etc.
This thread is closed

Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG