The online racing simulator
A New Site
(469 posts, started )
So basically, you don't like anything that made LFS forum a LFS forum
What made me visit it daily many times is that it felt like a familiar place, with familiar people, not because of the amazing stream of news and updates
And now it doesn't feel like a familiar place anymore... I have no idea what posseses people to these radical design changes.. not just forum wise but in general.
I'm browsing the forums on my phone right now, its really not bad at all. The only problem is posts that I read on my PC are showing up as unread. Since I'm posting this I'm obviously logged in, as I was at home, so it's very strange that this happened.
Quote from Boris Lozac :So basically, you don't like anything that made LFS forum a LFS forum

Now that's a subjective opinion. People might prefer different things and you shouldn't judge them because of that.
There's no real need to have a signature, in my opinion. After all it's a forum for a game and there's no real need to make things even more complicated or simply adding more stuff that won't benefit in any possible way. Without a signature it looks somewhat more professional and also you won't stumble upon rather pointless signatures. After all, some people like to abuse their signature as a way to promote something..
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but after that last post I made my subscription to this thread changed from "no email' to "instant". I would prefer it to stay how I set it.
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from Dennis93 :I want signatures back though

Please, no. All those "witty comments" make the forum so hard to read and are really boring when you have read them over and over. If they must be implemented, please limit them to a single line and hopefully smaller than normal text.

Then make it optional so that you can turn them off. It's not just about those silly comments, bigger teams have sponsors, whose logos/links are required to be shown in signatures and car skins.
#281 - kdo
Quote from Töki (HUN) :
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from Dennis93 :I want signatures back though

Please, no. All those "witty comments" make the forum so hard to read and are really boring when you have read them over and over. If they must be implemented, please limit them to a single line and hopefully smaller than normal text.

Then make it optional so that you can turn them off. It's not just about those silly comments, bigger teams have sponsors, whose logos/links are required to be shown in signatures and car skins.

Allow little text or image for everyone
and add an option to who would like to turn them off or on. Great idea!
Could agree - max 2 lines (was 4 before) and option for everyone "turn off signatures" yes/no.
Same could do with avatars maybe? I mean the option to turn off. Just in case it's so irritating,like the red flash over my avatar. :P
I miss my badass signature.
I'm not a fan of the superficial glitter of fora. When I visit a forum I usually look for pertinent information. The faster I can do this without having to read unnecessary things, the better.
Quote from Victor :Yep, using Mustache

I have trained you well young padawan! Have you played with helpers and sub-templates? I'm all over that stuff! Especially method calls from within the template so you don't have to pregenerate content that isn't needed Mustache (and similar systems) are just win. (but not as cool as shaders).

Quote :I actually started out with a fully fluid (hah) design. But there were a number of pages that hold a lot of content which are very hard to wrap into a narrower area.

You're right: sometimes you have to work from the mobile view up - and very occasionally you end up delivering the content twice in different ways which can be frustrating. There is a downside to respondaptive web design ( I am too used to saying responsive! I use respondaptive here out of deference to Scawen only! )

Quote :the only way of fixing a table with a lot of data for example is I think to really redesign the page and think of another way (a way mobile users are used to) to display that same data.

Data tables are just difficult on mobiles full stop, I remember when I had one of my home businesses hooked up to a real time Google spreadsheet (which was actually a cool thing in itself) so I could check in on my business from anywhere and control my whole company from my iPhone even when I was over in your neck of the woods... I usually didn't though because it was such an ordeal to use a spreadsheet on an iPhone!

For the most part working around the limitations of mobile is about thinking in different ways, rather than squeezing down desktop designs into mobile. Many designers insist that a proper site is designed mobile first and then design tablet & desktop afterwards... But design is subjective and mostly opinion driven... The world is full enough of opinions - I prefer stats
Quote from Becky Rose :I have trained you well young padawan! Have you played with helpers and sub-templates? I'm all over that stuff! Especially method calls from within the template so you don't have to pregenerate content that isn't needed Mustache (and similar systems) are just win. (but not as cool as shaders).

Yeah, method calls, sub templates, it's handy stuff. I like the neatness of it all the most i think. I've become quite anal in that sense
I've even convinced people at my other job we should start using templates. For neatness, security and it's nice that you can just hand what are basically html files to a designer.

Quote :For the most part working around the limitations of mobile is about thinking in different ways, rather than squeezing down desktop designs into mobile.

That's what I thought, which is why i concluded it needs a totally different approach than desktop and as such think that mobile should be served a different layout altogether. Heck maybe i should make an LFS app at some point when all else is done

Quote :Many designers insist that a proper site is designed mobile first and then design tablet & desktop afterwards... But design is subjective and mostly opinion driven... The world is full enough of opinions - I prefer stats

That is an interesting thought. But looking at analytics, the number of mobile users is only a few percent, so imo it's better to cater for desktop first. In our case at least.
Yes I like stats too
Make sure there's an Apple Watch app for LFS. Gotta find out when all my races are.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Make sure there's an Apple Watch app for LFS. Gotta find out when all my races are.

You would be the only one buying that thing.
Quote from Victor :
Quote :Many designers insist that a proper site is designed mobile first and then design tablet & desktop afterwards... But design is subjective and mostly opinion driven... The world is full enough of opinions - I prefer stats

That is an interesting thought. But looking at analytics, the number of mobile users is only a few percent, so imo it's better to cater for desktop first. In our case at least.
Yes I like stats too

i.e. : Win8 and Microsoft forced to put back a start buton and a classical look & feel
Quote from Victor :looking at analytics, the number of mobile users is only a few percent, so imo it's better to cater for desktop first. In our case at least.
Yes I like stats too

I thought that might be the case being a PC game - and I imagine most of the mobile use is from forum members who have already purchased and are therefore less likely to convert.

In my day job I'm coding for 40% tablets, and statistically speaking I still need to support IE8 upwards - because the visitor numbers X conversion rate X average order value says that the time spent supporting IE8 pays sufficiently well to keep doing it - although I would love to personally visit all my IE8 users homes and throw their PC's from the top of the nearest tower block. It was only six months ago I could drop IE7!

I believe that respondaptive sites are going to become more problematical to make soon though, with increases in mobile screen resolution they'll detect essentially as desktop resolution - but on a small screen. It is possible to detect retina by the pixel ratio property, but I guess we'll have to move over to dpi at some point - but that makes development on a single device much harder. I'm not looking forward to that at all.

Anyway I'm rambling ineffectually, are you coming to the Rift Meet? It would be nice to catch up.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Make sure there's an Apple Watch app for LFS. Gotta find out when all my races are.

You would be the only one buying that thing.

Right... I'm sure that Apple will sell only 1.
Really disappointing to see that there is so little people mentioned the lack of new posts marker at the subforums'... Really painful to check everything I might be interesting in.
Quote from vitaly_m :Really disappointing to see that there is so little people mentioned the lack of new posts marker at the subforums'... Really painful to check everything I might be interesting in.

I have made something today for a test, see the attachment. Would you like that?
Attached images
new_post2_preview.png
Quote from Flame CZE :
Quote from vitaly_m :Really disappointing to see that there is so little people mentioned the lack of new posts marker at the subforums'... Really painful to check everything I might be interesting in.

I have made something today for a test, see the attachment. Would you like that?

Absolutely yes.
Quote from Flame CZE :Also the new post icons next to the thread names, and in thread page... in the same fashion

For the posts in the thread, would it be possible to highlight the gray bar above every post instead of a tiny little icon?
Quote from Flame CZE :

Well done Martin! Thanks a lot
I know Victor said that mobile issues will be addressed, but here's how a new Nexus5 (not modded, default settings) shows this forum. Fonts are of many variabile sizes.
Attached images
cpGSJ3g.png
Looks great, Martin.
#300 - kdo
Quote from Ripley :I know Victor said that mobile issues will be addressed, but here's how a new Nexus5 (not modded, default settings) shows this forum. Fonts are of many variabile sizes.

for me it look normal. rooted galaxy s3 lte 4g

i only have to zoom a little but the size are the same for every post
Attached images
Screenshot_2014-09-10-13-08-53.png

A New Site
(469 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG