The online racing simulator
A New Site
(469 posts, started )
Btw Victor, just a thing : Now LFS France has moved to a full .org, so it's not anymore lfsfrance.fr but lfsfrance.org
Quote from Test Driver :I'm using the latest Firefox, and the site and forum doesn't use the available screen width, so basically on the left and right there is lots of unused space, is this normal?

Looks neat btw.

Yeah, even on 1920 it leaves space, but for me it's ok.

One thing - BRING ME BACK UNREAD ICONS I wonna see if I had read all things is some (sub)forum.

EDIT: I found "new", but it's so silent and small thing that it's not possible to notice it at first time.
For my its not OK so I installed https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/

Wrote a new style;

@-moz-document url-prefix(https://www.lfs.net/forum) {
#BodyDiv {
width:1600px !important;
}
.QuickReplyDiv {
max-width:900px !important;
}
.QuickReplyField {
height:150px !important;
}
header.FPostHeader {
color: black !important;
font-weight: bold;
}
.FPostText {
font-family: "Lucida Grande","Trebuchet MS",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;
}
}

Done

<----------------------- space ------------------>
I've just realised that the main site is missing all the news items before November 2008.

I thought that it was a good thing that they went back forever, it was sometimes useful to look up what was in certain patches etc.
About site width... At first I was always complaining how there is so much unused space on sides. After some talk with Flame I agreed that its much easier to read long posts in such enviroment. I can say I like it how it is now.
Nice tweak Dave, THX!

I'm still the phase of getting use to the new forum, so I will not comment at this point in time, but there is something I miss and that is the ''new posts'' button being accessible from everywhere. I mean that when I read a post I always have to click the forum button to find the new posts button..maybe there is an easy fix for this?
Quote from Framaris :Nice tweak Dave, THX!

I'm still the phase of getting use to the new forum, so I will not comment at this point in time, but there is something I miss and that is the ''new posts'' button being accessible from everywhere. I mean that when I read a post I always have to click the forum button to find the new posts button..maybe there is an easy fix for this?

The New Posts button now takes your current location into consideration, so if you are in a subforum, it only shows new post from there, whereas the old one just showed all posts.

I've caught myself a couple of times looking for that button in the thread page as well, and I don't think it's a bad idea to put it up there, linking to all new posts.

I'll talk to Vic about it
I've visited the site today using a screen with an 4:3 aspect ratio, and even with that screen there was "unused" space on the sides. I just find it funny that website design in general, not only here on lfs.net, returns to the 90's with 800x600 resulutions when it comes to the layout-width. Of course this happens because many sites are being updated to become more accessible with mobile devices, but I have a feeling that in 3 years they will all redesign again to make better use of the available resolution. This is not a rant, just something I observed in redesigns of other websites.
I don't have any problem if the forum is ''squeezed'' more to the middle. I actually prefer forums that are more narrow than wider. Just a personal preference!
Quote from Test Driver :I've visited the site today using a screen with an 4:3 aspect ratio, and even with that screen there was "unused" space on the sides. I just find it funny that website design in general, not only here on lfs.net, returns to the 90's with 800x600 resulutions when it comes to the layout-width. Of course this happens because many sites are being updated to become more accessible with mobile devices, but I have a feeling that in 3 years they will all redesign again to make better use of the available resolution. This is not a rant, just something I observed in redesigns of other websites.

For me it's actually more comfortable to read narrower blocks of text rather than have them at full screen width. But on the other hand, I agree that using as much screen's space as possible is better in general. We'll try to do something about it
Well done on the new look of the sites.looks good on my pc and equally as good on my xperia z2
Quote from [Audi TT] :In the reference to social networks, there must be added the tag "_blank".

This is work on "website" but others don't work.
Idea.
You can sort the list of friends online \ offline? The online friends in the early of the column, and this offline friends after of the list online friends.

1869945 - bug
Ît's just a cheap workaround, but I use CTRL+mousewheel a lot.
Quote from [Audi TT] :
1869945 - bug

Quote tag gets confused yes with people which has a username with ] symbols in it.
Quote from Flame CZE :
Quote from Test Driver :I've visited the site today using a screen with an 4:3 aspect ratio, and even with that screen there was "unused" space on the sides. I just find it funny that website design in general, not only here on lfs.net, returns to the 90's with 800x600 resulutions when it comes to the layout-width. Of course this happens because many sites are being updated to become more accessible with mobile devices, but I have a feeling that in 3 years they will all redesign again to make better use of the available resolution. This is not a rant, just something I observed in redesigns of other websites.

For me it's actually more comfortable to read narrower blocks of text rather than have them at full screen width. But on the other hand, I agree that using as much screen's space as possible is better in general. We'll try to do something about it

Although it looks a bit funny, supposedly narrow blocks of texts are much easier to read. It's why LaTeX has ridiculous looking margins by default.

http://webtypography.net/2.1.2
Quote from Flame CZE :

Don't know if it's totally out of the question, so it's merely a suggestion
Why not use a responsive web design (engine) instead ?

There are forum engines that manage everything automatically, so it'd be a win-win situation (except for the workload to set it all up again.. maybe ). Don't know about vbulletin, but I've recently discovered XenForo and became a fan of. The ergonomics of it's engine are impressive. And looks as good on a large screen as it does on a mobile device. All automatically.
Quote from luchian :Don't know if it's totally out of the question, so it's merely a suggestion
Why not use a responsive web design (engine) instead ?

There are forum engines that manage everything automatically, so it'd be a win-win situation (except for the workload to set it all up again.. maybe ). Don't know about vbulletin, but I've recently discovered XenForo and became a fan of. The ergonomics of it's engine are impressive. And looks as good on a large screen as it does on a mobile device. All automatically.

I'll quote Victor's post from earlier:
Quote from Victor :It's a bit unfortunate situation for mobile atm, but nevertheless i'm going to leave it as it is for now and fix the whole mobile thing later on with dedicated css.
I know everyone's saying to make it responsive, but imo that is really very hard to do - to make an entire site responsive (or adaptive, whatever). Some content is just not suited to wrap nicely into a tiny window. It needs a whole new approach. So that should be fixed at a later time, with mobile css.

Just can't get used to the new forum design and i find myself not frequenting it regularly like i used to..
Quote from Victor :I know everyone's saying to make it responsive, but imo that is really very hard to do - to make an entire site responsive (or adaptive, whatever). Some content is just not suited to wrap nicely into a tiny window.

If you're using template based content delivery then it's pretty easy. Did I sell you on Mustache when we chatted about it before?

I use a custom css grid system inspired by Bootstrap to do the respondaptive (I'm in marketing, so putting those 2 words together seemed like the natural solution!) - the key lies in setting
*{box-sizing:border-box}
img{max-width:100%}

After that it comes together pretty easily with media queries like:
@media only screen and (max-width: 768px) {
.yourClass{
}
}

I use some standard layout stuff, to produce final html along the lines of

<div class='row'>
<div class='column large-25 tablet-50 mobile-100'>
My left column content
</div>
<div class='column large-75 tablet-50 hide-mobile'>
My right column content
</div>
</div>

The result is really easy to use, although it does produce more div layers in the final output - but applied to the output templates it should make short work of a migration to respondaptive web design.

Quote from Boris Lozac :Just can't get used to the new forum design and i find myself not frequenting it regularly like i used to..

I'm finding myself not checking in on the mobile, although vbulletin was a pain in the neck it was easier to read on mobile.

On desktop I much prefer the refreshed site .
Yep, using Mustache
I actually started out with a fully fluid (hah) design. But there were a number of pages that hold a lot of content which are very hard to wrap into a narrower area. Since i didn't really know how to fix that I decided to wait with solving that problem until i had all the content. Kind of getting there now, so i will have another look at all this. But still .. the only way of fixing a table with a lot of data for example is I think to really redesign the page and think of another way (a way mobile users are used to) to display that same data. In some list where you can click on the main data to display details or something.
So yeah, i'll be looking at it. Sorry for the shitty sizing for the moment
Quote from Victor :Yep, using Mustache
I actually started out with a fully fluid (hah) design. But there were a number of pages that hold a lot of content which are very hard to wrap into a narrower area. Since i didn't really know how to fix that I decided to wait with solving that problem until i had all the content. Kind of getting there now, so i will have another look at all this. But still .. the only way of fixing a table with a lot of data for example is I think to really redesign the page and think of another way (a way mobile users are used to) to display that same data. In some list where you can click on the main data to display details or something.
So yeah, i'll be looking at it. Sorry for the shitty sizing for the moment

Also Vic: In subscriptions, we can see threads that have been moved to Rubbish Bin. Can't open them of course, but shouldn't be listed if we can't view them.
I want signatures back though
I also want it back so Dennis can share his deep lyrics with us
Quote from Flame CZE :For me it's actually more comfortable to read narrower blocks of text rather than have them at full screen width. But on the other hand, I agree that using as much screen's space as possible is better in general. We'll try to do something about it

Agree, I don't know why you would want a forum stretching out to the full screen width. There should be a limit on how wide it goes. To make VB more easily readable I always made my browser window narrower - the full width of my monitor is far too wide for columns of text. I don't want to swivel my eyes so far in their sockets or move my head from left to right just to read a bit of text.

Quote from Dennis93 :I want signatures back though

Please, no. All those "witty comments" make the forum so hard to read and are really boring when you have read them over and over. If they must be implemented, please limit them to a single line and hopefully smaller than normal text.

I'd suggest removal of animated avatars as they also make it hard to read. They are simply irritating and distracting.

As you can see, I don't like things which make it harder to read and I do like things which save time and messing around like multiple quote which I have to use very frequently, specially when I am replying in Test Patch threads.

How about an option to quote without sub-quotes? That should be default I think, again to save space. It always was the way in VB. I keep seeing these massive sub-sub-sub-sub-sub quotes appearing now.

A New Site
(469 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG