The online racing simulator
Quote from e2mustang :user cp showed all my subscribed pages,not my profile only. now i dont know what threads i subscribed for,unless im missing something here.

Click Subscriptions at the top right.
Quote from e2mustang :user cp showed all my subscribed pages,not my profile only. now i dont know what threads i subscribed for,unless im missing something here.

https://www.lfs.net/forum/subscriptions does sorta similar. It has some flaws in that it hammers the DOM to update (I emailed vic with a possible fix) the times, so lots of subs = a nice waiting time.
-
(e2mustang) DELETED by e2mustang
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from mbutcher :Stick to what you're best at Scawen :P

You have to admit it's a bit strange, on the fastest reacting, most responsive forum I have ever seen, to see people keep saying, "you could have made it responsive".

It would be like driving a racing car that is really fast, and someone saying, "Why didn't you make it fast" and then when you are totally confused, explaining that "fast" means that there is a quick release on a brake pad. Luckily automotive engineers didn't come up with such a stupid use of the word "fast".

Reminds me, who remembers the old times back at Race Sim Central, when clicking on any button could take up to a few minutes to do anything? Now THAT is what I would call unresponsive! [but you would say it was responsive ]

I do agree by the way. The first time I came across the term, I had questions.

And yes, RSC was a dismal excuse for a website way back when. You measured response times with a calendar rather than with your watch.
Looks good. I normally browse using "new posts", so the only things that seem to be annoyingly missing are the "New Posts" button on all threads (it's only on the main page, seemingly) and something telling me which sub-forum each post is in.
cool stuff... it looks so modern... and as many said... SEXYYYY....
S2 hotlaps aren't really working since this update happened. After uploading a time it just says my lap wasn't valid and will be removed soon? I didn't have problems like this at the beginning of this week
It will definitely take some time to get used to but the design really cool!
-
(Flame CZE) DELETED by Flame CZE : derp
Quote from fatalunfair :S2 hotlaps aren't really working since this update happened. After uploading a time it just says my lap wasn't valid and will be removed soon? I didn't have problems like this at the beginning of this week

Are you doing hotlaps with a test patch? LFSW hasn't been touched.
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from mbutcher :Stick to what you're best at Scawen :P

You have to admit it's a bit strange, on the fastest reacting, most responsive forum I have ever seen, to see people keep saying, "you could have made it responsive".

It would be like driving a racing car that is really fast, and someone saying, "Why didn't you make it fast" and then when you are totally confused, explaining that "fast" means that there is a quick release on a brake pad. Luckily automotive engineers didn't come up with such a stupid use of the word "fast".

Well if the site was "slow" I would have said so. But to be honest I forgot that you now look at the forum regularly - the post was more for Victor and Flame! (I would insert a smiley here but I don't know how to on the new design...)

However on the subject of website speed, all of the PNG images should probably be run through tinypng.com and gzip enabled on the css and js. The newspic2a/b/c images are also 200px larger than they need to be.
The blue on dark grey in the homepage H3 does not meet WCAG guidelines for colour contrast (good tool available at http://snook.ca/technical/colour_contrast/colour.html)

The other annoying thing is the dark background between each post - think it would look better either with more padding inside each post or with a #F0F0F0 background: https://i.imgur.com/JdSc3qj.jpg

I'd be interested in knowing the non-desktop usage stats for LFS sites...
Quote from dawesdust_12 :
Quote from fatalunfair :S2 hotlaps aren't really working since this update happened. After uploading a time it just says my lap wasn't valid and will be removed soon? I didn't have problems like this at the beginning of this week

Not a test patch, I did hotlaps with exactly same version, car, track, setup etc. earlier this week and uploaded times no problem. Now LFSW just doesn't want to make RAF files of my hotlaps and complains that the lap is invalid. Also heard some people having issues uploading skins to LFSW today.

EDIT: Alright, it suddenly started working now. Same with skins apparently.
Quote from fatalunfair :

Not a test patch, I did hotlaps with exactly same version, car, track, setup etc. earlier this week and uploaded times no problem. Now LFSW just doesn't want to make RAF files of my hotlaps and complains that the lap is invalid. Also heard some people having issues uploading skins to LFSW today.

Could you try uploading it or checking again? Victor seems to have fixed the issue.
Quote from Flame CZE :
Quote from fatalunfair :

Could you try uploading it or checking again? Victor seems to have fixed the issue.

Yes, it works now. Thank you
Quote from boothy :Well if the site was "slow" I would have said so. But to be honest I forgot that you now look at the forum regularly - the post was more for Victor and Flame! (I would insert a smiley here but I don't know how to on the new design...)

Don't know why you web developers don't use a simple term like "self-adjusting"...

By the way I don't know all the smileys but you can at least use ; ) and : ) and : ( and : D
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from boothy :Well if the site was "slow" I would have said so. But to be honest I forgot that you now look at the forum regularly - the post was more for Victor and Flame! (I would insert a smiley here but I don't know how to on the new design...)

Don't know why you web developers don't use a simple term like "self-adjusting"...

By the way I don't know all the smileys but you can at least use ; ) and : ) and : ( and : D

Because it's called "Responsive Design". It's the marketing term (so to speak) for a website that each page can be rendered in a way that is usable for any sized device, instead of the old style of if(mobileDevice){redirectToMobileSite()}.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Because it's called "Responsive Design". It's the marketing term (so to speak) for a website that each page can be rendered in a way that is usable for any sized device, instead of the old style of if(mobileDevice){redirectToMobileSite()}.

Yeah I get it now, ever since the first person explained it to me. I've made LFS do that for a very long time, but didn't need to use a misleading name for it. It's self-adjusting, so call it self-adjusting, don't call it responsive which already means something completely different. I'm more of a no-nonsense kind of person and I don't go along with stupid marketing speak. So I'm just telling you that is a stupid name and no-one outside that niche will understand it. That is not communication.
Well responsive web design as a term/philosophy has been around for 4 years and has over 30million google results so not sure you're going to get them to change the name But anyway...

I know all the smileys but the link to the page listing them all has gone
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Because it's called "Responsive Design". It's the marketing term (so to speak) for a website that each page can be rendered in a way that is usable for any sized device, instead of the old style of if(mobileDevice){redirectToMobileSite()}.

Yeah I get it now, ever since the first person explained it to me. I've made LFS do that for a very long time, but didn't need to use a misleading name for it. It's self-adjusting, so call it self-adjusting, don't call it responsive which already means something completely different. I'm more of a no-nonsense kind of person and I don't go along with stupid marketing speak. So I'm just telling you that is a stupid name and no-one outside that niche will understand it. That is not communication.

Sadly Scawen, in the world of web deelopment the proper word is "responsive" - as a web professional and a hobbyist games developer myself I completely understand your confusion though. There's lots of things that annoy me about web coding too!

I do view and post here on my mobile - but Victor no doubt has the stats and will know if the extra work warrants doing - how many people without licences are viewing on mobile? I'd hazard it's mostly us forum junkies... But let the stats guide you CRO should be the focus, and I've already spoken in private to Victor about that in the past.

Site design refreshes can have a short term negative impact on sales whilst prospective customers don't recognise the site and think they've lost the link - but once the lull is over I hope the facelift achieves everything you hope for
Quote from boothy :Well responsive web design as a term/philosophy has been around for 4 years and has over 30million google results so not sure you're going to get them to change the name But anyway...

Well people have been trying to coin the term "MFV" or "Mobile Friendly View" for a fair while now, but that too is far from perfect since most people's immediate reaction when they see the word mobile is mobile phone, not mobile device.
Quote from mbutcher :
Quote from boothy :Well responsive web design as a term/philosophy has been around for 4 years and has over 30million google results so not sure you're going to get them to change the name But anyway...

Well people have been trying to coin the term "MFV" or "Mobile Friendly View" for a fair while now, but that too is far from perfect since most people's immediate reaction when they see the word mobile is mobile phone, not mobile device.

Never seen that term and I've been doing web dev-ops for 5 years now
I've heard "mobile friendly", and of course there was Googles campaign to "Get Mo" along with a cartoon character called "Mo"... But not mobile friendly view, which could describe a different thing. I would say a better choice of wording would be "adaptive design" - but we live in an era where the period symbol has been 'abbreviated' to "lol" - so what would I know...
I personally prefer "Reactive" or "Anywhere, everywhere web"
Wahey! Love the skins preview section under www.lfs.net/cars! Feeling nostalgic viewing skins uploaded to LFSW years ago! Good stuff guys, well done!
Looking good, now it is time for upgrade LFS World website
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :One more thing, now youtube work in forums

Try posting 20 video's on one page and see your memory usage go sky high.

Quote from Scawen :Yes that would be good! Also it would be nice if I could just click "like" or "+1" or something on your post instead of spamming another post.

Oh no... Not here also

It's a forum aka as "discussion platform" not some kind of voting. Posting content is content, clicking like buttons doesn't do anything. Pcars has it rreaallllyy bad and AC has it too I think? Don't know, can't even read anymore there. Anyway it looks retarded but I think Twitter is also retarded. Probably get old or something.

A New Site
(469 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG