The online racing simulator
pentium 166mhz - server question´s
hello hello,
i have a pentium 166mhz and 128 mb ram. My question is: how many players can be play on this server? the internet is dsl, i have also 512kb/s upload and download 6012 kb/s. OS:windows95. if this didn´t work with win95, we cold install win98.

Thanks for help.
I think with that Configuration it won't work well. The server should be the fastest computer in a Net to avoid all problems/lags. This is what i know, a 166 pentium seems to be too slow...
#3 - Krane
If you use the dedicated server it doesn't need to be very powerful PC, yours might work adequately for 8 players. More important is the servers upload capacity. In theory, 512kbit upload could support 23 players. But there's not much margin. If you open LFS and go to Multiplayer->Start New Game you can see on the calculator how much upload X amount of players takes.
so they can play 8 player on this server? i this correct?
Yes we will use this dedicated server
Is win95 okay? or must we install 98?
because the server doesnt calculate any physics then the cpu should be fine (run it in invisible mode).

all its doing is passing packets around isnt it?
#6 - Krane
Quote from dUmAsS :all its doing is passing packets around isnt it?

Not quite, it also tracks that no one is driving wrong way, if the setting is enabled that is. AFAIK it doesn't need to calculate physics for with. Anyway, your post is in essence correct, I'm just nitpicking
another question ^^
Can i run this D-server on dos? or is it an 32 bit programm?

i install win95 *g+ i hope this will work with the d-server.
#8 - Krane
It's Win32 (I'd think, never checked), you might get it work under Win3.11 if you install Win32s, but I seriously doubt it.
so.
my win95 is worked and i have get the D-server. Now he will the "ws2_32.dll" i donwload this file, but he say that i install a higher system. now i search the dll for win95. i think, this what i get is for xp. I hope it work. so that i test the server in a few minutes if i found this correct dll
no no no. i found the correct fle from microsoft, but it doesn´t want to start lfs D-server want a higher system
wow, microsoft still hosting win95 files? i thought they dropped support years ago.

stabability might be better if you update to win98se
#13 - Woz
Quote from dUmAsS :wow, microsoft still hosting win95 files? i thought they dropped support years ago.

stabability might be better if you update to win98se

They dropped support for Win 95, 98, ME, NT4 ages ago but just means no more patches etc. Costs little to host the files etc.

W2K is the next on the knife block for support.
You need to install the Winsock2 update for Windows 95. It's preinstalled in all versions from Win98 upwards.
Maybe a stupid question. But why not install W2K Server on it? Onyl downside it will take longer to start-up. But once it's started it only needs to stay on.
And server software is much more stable then that old stuff.
more availible free ram in the 9x
If you're worried about RAM usage, or want to get the most from this aging box, put a command line only install of debian or something on the box, use apt-get to get wine, and ssh or webmin (to admin the box) and run the dedicated server in invisible mode.

Perfect!

If you think debian is getting a bit "old" (you're right), try a server install of ubuntu (debian based).
´now i have a site there are all updates for win95. i must test it today.
why not win2k server? the question is easy. I don´t have this OS and will it work on a pentium 166mhz? i dont know.

thanks krane for your help i hope it work...
now. i have installt the ws2setup.exe
The message from LFS-D-server is, that they need a higher system
it doesn´t work on win95?
so i muss update this on win98
but my problem is, that win98 need more ram as win95 :/
yeah!!!!!! hello
My server is running on win95. Juhu.

Thanks for your Help.....!

Live for speed dedicted server is running with a pentium 166mhz on win95
i'am happy

thanks at krane
Quote from Krane :If you use the dedicated server it doesn't need to be very powerful PC, yours might work adequately for 8 players. More important is the servers upload capacity. [b]In theory, 512kbit upload could support 23 players.[]/b But there's not much margin. If you open LFS and go to Multiplayer->Start New Game you can see on the calculator how much upload X amount of players takes.

This is incorrect...To serve to 23 players, you need a line with an upload of 1.2 mbps at least
it depends on how many pps right?
Quote from dannel :it depends on how many pps right?

yep
Quote from narcis :This is incorrect...To serve to 23 players, you need a line with an upload of 1.2 mbps at least

Whoops, indeed you're correct. I forgot to increase the Max (real + AI) in race setting along with Max guests :doh:
I run a PII 333MHz box with about 196MB of RAM. I am on a cable modem. I can host up to 12 without a problem (so far).

So, my pitch for more servers, if you have a cable modem and an old computer, fire it up. It will work and you will have your own dedi server. It does not take much technical knowledge and it is generally easy to administer.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG