The online racing simulator
Anyone know anything about road race cycles?
(43 posts, started )
I remember when I started to cycle to work my "sit bones" took about 2 weeks to become accustomed to a saddle, I imagine it's gonna take longer as I now have a lot less ass padding!!!
Quote from danowat :I remember when I started to cycle to work my "sit bones" took about 2 weeks to become accustomed to a saddle, I imagine it's gonna take longer as I now have a lot less ass padding!!!

Plus the fact that road bike saddles tend to be a little more about functionality and efficiency rather than comfort.....enjoy!

Think razor blades...
Quote from danowat :I remember when I started to cycle to work my "sit bones" took about 2 weeks to become accustomed to a saddle, I imagine it's gonna take longer as I now have a lot less ass padding!!!

Actually you might find that it works the other way around - you got less weight to push you on the saddle, plus there's less tender tissue there to be squished. Also, on a road bike your weight distribution (due to position) should be such that you are basically just propping yourself on the saddle and handlebars, not so much using them as a chair and something to lean on since alot of your weight support will ideally be done by your legs on the pedals.

Also, standing on the pedals often enough for 10-20 seconds also helps.

Which brings to mind - chin-ups and some trapezius exercises will come in handy because initially, until you adjust the bike properly, you might experience upper back and neck soreness (although you might be ok in that department since as I recall you're a biker - they're pretty much the same muscles that work out whenever you brake hard).
I'm very light, around 53kg and I usually experience no pain from the saddle at all, just make sure you have some nice padded lycra on
Only took two years, but after doing over 500 miles on my Mongoose hybrid, I've brought a proper road bike!!!

Its a Specialized Allez Elite.

Have yet to do one, however, I have a 100 mile race on 6th June!!!
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
It has no pedals... good luck with that.
Damnit, I wanted to joke about the missing pedals! :irked:
Quote from Kalev EST :Damnit, I wanted to joke about the missing pedals! :irked:

Be glad. It would have been lame anyway!
Quote from Kalev EST :Damnit, I wanted to joke about the missing pedals! :irked:

You still can (i've missed page two when i hit reply)...
Glad you got something eventually!

Get riding it a few times before you do the 100mile race! That will be.....fun!?

The most I've ridden in one day is 100miles as well. I stupidly cramped near the end because I forgot to keep drinking...even though my camelbak still had water in it!

Hope you enjoy it.
Yeah, longest ride so far is nearly 50miles, been training since Christmas, currently riding about 100-150miles a week.

Pedals?, who needs pedals?
4 years later...........

Crazy question here...
When training for races, instead of using the racing bike, why not practice with a heavy beach cruiser or something heavier? LOL a low rider bike...
Seriously though. Do you? I don't mean try and take a schwinn stingray on a Tour de France type run, but I dunno. Like for simple work out purposes?
Where I live it's flat. Flatter than a supermodel's chest. On my commute to and from work, I have to go through this area where all the "trendy" idiots do their thing. After the Boston Bombing, they all started jogging. Those sorts of people.
The ones that ride bikes in this area ride bikes like the ones y'all race with. They'll claim they do so to stay in shape. Only unlike y'all, I think they really ride those bikes because of the fancy price tag and that it's fashion coordinated. You know like those people that wanna wear the jacket, so they buy a Harley to do so?
Anyways if you're wanting to ride a bicycle for exercise or even to train for serious racing and your area is on flat ground with no real twists or anything, wouldn't it make more sense to use something that wasn't as light as a feather? Or do they make weights or something for doing just that?
Danowat?
Going by your posts, it's pretty apparent you don't use training wheels and might know a little about this subject.
Oh and does putting helium in the tires really help in racing?
Quote from Racer Y :
Oh and does putting helium in the tires really help in racing?

Not unless you want a flat tire within 30 miles. Helium will deflate very quickly. And even if it didn't, the weight loss you pickup is negligible at any level other than absolute top flight.
No one I know uses helium!, there are some strange additives in cycle racing, helium isn't one of them!

As for training, yes, I do ride training wheels, but only because I don't want to ruin my expensive racing tubs, but I do about 95% of my training on my race bike, because specificity and adaption in position is much more important than having more resitance, if I want more resistance I just go faster
Quote from danowat :No one I know uses helium!, there are some strange additives in cycle racing, helium isn't one of them!

As for training, yes, I do ride training wheels, but only because I don't want to ruin my expensive racing tubs, but I do about 95% of my training on my race bike, because specificity and adaption in position is much more important than having more resitance, if I want more resistance I just go faster

" but I do about 95% of my training on my race bike, because specificity and adaption in position is much more important than having more resitance, "

Yeah... That makes sense. Oh and when I meant "training wheels", I really didn't mean an extra set of wheels to use to save your good wheels. I didn't really think about that. LOL I meant TRAINING wheels - like what's on little kids' bikes.. But still, It would make sense to have a set of wheels for working out.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG