The online racing simulator
LFS options survey
(63 posts, started )
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Woohoo, Highest FOV at 110°! :woohoo:

I got 120 with 17" screen, while with 22" I have 90. But yeah, at least it looks you go fast with that fov as well
Quote from Flame CZE :Interesting how many of you have "Acceleration shifts viewpoint" off

i use 1g head tilt 0.49 and the rest of the option in 0.005

couldnt back to the survey and fix that
Flame, thats very nice. Including all these options must have have taken quite some time. I hope it will have some positive results too.

Quote from diego9972 :Oh, when i did the survey it was unavailable.

Change my vote to x8 aa then, if you can.

As far as I know only available option for mirror antialiasing is 4x. I have noticed that in fact is possible to accomplish 8x too (not in LFS), but that only works while forced Super Sampling is used. Seeing your screenshot I cannot see option for antialiased mirrors. Possibilities are you are still using old 0.6E patch or simply your graphics card does not support antialiasing on render target. Just because you have 8x antialiasing for main scene does not mean you have any on mirrors. Perhaps you mixed normal and mirror antialiasing

As I already said there are some default settings whose default values are wrong as well some settings just don't make much sense and perhaps could be droped out.
Music in menus, etc... is nice in begining and can entertain some, but with the time well I wouldn't say it become boring but most of us prefer to turn it off. All I want to hear while driving LFS is simply just pure sound from cars, I don't even listen to music while playing LFS. Its default value make sense IMO, and nothing should be changed there.

As I dont have any FPS issues I always set all graphics settings to maximum. My checkpoint text is off simply because I use the one from LFSLazy which is more detailed and include speed and sector.

One more thing what I think its wrong is Load track when starting. Infact not only default value of yes, but IMO this option is absolutely unneeded. Most of the time you just load another track and with the new randomized weather there is need to reload track almost always when joining server.

Sound Lag - Not sure if most even understand purpose of that one. Well, to simplify explanation imagine you have some kind of sound buffer. Each time when DirectX updates frame, it updates that buffer too, where sound that will be played between frames is stored. That sound lag is like a lenght of that buffer. This means if you have sound lag set to 0.05s, that a new frame should be updated in a shorter time otherwise you will get cracking sound effect. 0.05s means that FPS should never fall below approximately 20 FPS (1/0.05). Ofcourse most of use tend to have less sound lag, but then in extremly low FPS situation you get unwanted effect. Most of other games don't have such an option as far as I know, but its value is dinamicly set based on your FPS, which really is not a problem. Basically you write one formula instead of taking a constant value.

Minimum sleep - that should be dropped out as well IMO. As Flame already said thats like the time for which LFS doesn't do anything, neither CPU neither GPU. Of course using lower value is better on performance side, for example my PC at 10ms sleep does like maximum of 80 FPS, while 1ms sleep almost to double FPS. That option is useless for most of the users that don't even know what it does, the one that know just keep it at 1ms. Perhaps setting internationally to 1ms, and while LFS is in background increase it slightly (~10ms).
Setting this value to 0ms will not always cause 100% CPU usage (1 core) (or GPU) because you can be GPU bottlenecked which result in lower CPU usage and doesn't make much of a change, also frame limiter will limit CPU usage so again its not a problem...
When I open it I see empty fields... I guess it would be much more convenient if there was default settings mentioned, so I can set them there if I don't care, or a "don't care" answer
-
(fatalunfair) DELETED by fatalunfair : nvm wrong part of survey
I don't get how some people got 2x or 8x mirror antialiasing, because it seems the only options in game are none or 4x.

Partly my fault though, that I included 2x and 8x in the surves, because I thought it would depend on the GFX card. Turns out it doesn't. Those two options are now removed.
I have draw wheel/hands on on with mouse and when I drive with wheel its off off. Also I picked FOV and view settings when I'm driving FBM/mouse, I might change some settings when I use wheel/use different view. Also different fovs in different cars.
Quote from Sobis :Dammit Flame, where is the option other? I sometimes listen to music while racing, sometimes don't. And my car sound volume gets changed quite constantly.

Hello?
Hmm, I don't feel like including "other" to there... just set whatever you use most often or an average value.
the question:

"Mip bias - road surface *
Decimal number between -5.0 and 0.0"

is limited to -5.0, in LFS I have it at -6.0

Also I use follow view so the view portion doesn't apply for me but I can't skip it.
Quote from Franky.S :the question:

"Mip bias - road surface *
Decimal number between -5.0 and 0.0"

is limited to -5.0, in LFS I have it at -6.0

Also I use follow view so the view portion doesn't apply for me but I can't skip it.

Updated.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :As far as I know only available option for mirror antialiasing is 4x. I have noticed that in fact is possible to accomplish 8x too (not in LFS), but that only works while forced Super Sampling is used. Seeing your screenshot I cannot see option for antialiased mirrors. Possibilities are you are still using old 0.6E patch or simply your graphics card does not support antialiasing on render target. Just because you have 8x antialiasing for main scene does not mean you have any on mirrors. Perhaps you mixed normal and mirror antialiasing

As I already said there are some default settings whose default values are wrong as well some settings just don't make much sense and perhaps could be droped out.
Music in menus, etc... is nice in begining and can entertain some, but with the time well I wouldn't say it become boring but most of us prefer to turn it off. All I want to hear while driving LFS is simply just pure sound from cars, I don't even listen to music while playing LFS. Its default value make sense IMO, and nothing should be changed there.

As I dont have any FPS issues I always set all graphics settings to maximum. My checkpoint text is off simply because I use the one from LFSLazy which is more detailed and include speed and sector.

One more thing what I think its wrong is Load track when starting. Infact not only default value of yes, but IMO this option is absolutely unneeded. Most of the time you just load another track and with the new randomized weather there is need to reload track almost always when joining server.

Sound Lag - Not sure if most even understand purpose of that one. Well, to simplify explanation imagine you have some kind of sound buffer. Each time when DirectX updates frame, it updates that buffer too, where sound that will be played between frames is stored. That sound lag is like a lenght of that buffer. This means if you have sound lag set to 0.05s, that a new frame should be updated in a shorter time otherwise you will get cracking sound effect. 0.05s means that FPS should never fall below approximately 20 FPS (1/0.05). Ofcourse most of use tend to have less sound lag, but then in extremly low FPS situation you get unwanted effect. Most of other games don't have such an option as far as I know, but its value is dinamicly set based on your FPS, which really is not a problem. Basically you write one formula instead of taking a constant value.

Minimum sleep - that should be dropped out as well IMO. As Flame already said thats like the time for which LFS doesn't do anything, neither CPU neither GPU. Of course using lower value is better on performance side, for example my PC at 10ms sleep does like maximum of 80 FPS, while 1ms sleep almost to double FPS. That option is useless for most of the users that don't even know what it does, the one that know just keep it at 1ms. Perhaps setting internationally to 1ms, and while LFS is in background increase it slightly (~10ms).
Setting this value to 0ms will not always cause 100% CPU usage (1 core) (or GPU) because you can be GPU bottlenecked which result in lower CPU usage and doesn't make much of a change, also frame limiter will limit CPU usage so again its not a problem...

I wasn't talking about mirror antialiasing dude. When Flame created the survey x2 and x8 overall antialiasing wasn't available for me, so I told him to edit it.

I don't care about sound, because I use LFS CSR

In minimum sleep i have it set to 1 ms.

Sorry for my bad English
Any particular reason why limit lfs FPS to 100?, i see a loot of ppl with fps locked to 100
Quote from Inouva :Any particular reason why limit lfs FPS to 100?, i see a loot of ppl with fps locked to 100

It atleast used to minimize input lag in the past. Also you can't limit it any higher. No need to be running gpu/cpu @100% as I doubt anyone will gain anything from having more than 100 fps.
Flat screens and CRTs can do 120-144Hz and 120-144 FPS is easily achieved in LFS. The limit should be at least that.
#43 - Davo
Cool survey, my answers were pretty much on par with everyone elses.
I have given up the survey at about 45%, sorry. So much monkey, mistake prone, work for something that deserves to be fully automated.
filled it in my FOV i usually have set between 79-86 for fbm and around 90 for other cars,just feels better for me, fps is mostly 120+ and at times (ky1 with not many on the server) can be between 200-300l,never used fps limit as never felt the need
Quote from bishtop :never used fps limit as never felt the need

decrease PC noise, electricity bill, ...
Quote from TV[cz] :I have given up the survey at about 45%, sorry. So much monkey, mistake prone, work for something that deserves to be fully automated.

I understand you. It's not an ideal solution and indeed I wanted to make an automated page to just submit CFG files. But I noticed that not all settings are stored in there - e.g. view information seems to be stored in views.bin. I'll look into it more in the next few days.
Quote from Flame CZE :[...] automated page to just submit CFG files. But I noticed that not all settings are stored in there - e.g. view information seems to be stored in views.bin.

Yeah ... Should not be too hard (but probably boring) to map the values of cfg.txt and card_cfg.txt to human readable key and value pairs. Not sure about views.bin, though? I had a quick look at the content of \data\views\*.cvw but they appear to be binary. A hex editor didn't give much insight either.

But again, the .cfg files should be easy enough. I would not mind having a stab at building a webapp to store and compare those results if you can't be bothered.

Edit: Had another look at a CVW and was able to decipher some info by, in this example, changing the y-offset around. But the values doesn't quite correspond so I'm not sure what to make of it. Unless someone else has more mad hacking skillz perhaps Scawen could shed some light on this ...
Attached images
cvw.png
Quote from Inouva :Any particular reason why limit lfs FPS to 100?, i see a loot of ppl with fps locked to 100

Quote from NotAnIllusion :Flat screens and CRTs can do 120-144Hz and 120-144 FPS is easily achieved in LFS. The limit should be at least that.

The vast majority of LCD monitors are still only 60-75Hz max. 120Hz CRTs used to be fairly common (at lower resolutions at least), but mainstream LCDs still haven't caught up.

The main reason for the 100Hz limit is because that's what the outer physics loop runs at. There's generally no point, other than for sync reasons, to run any faster than that as things will only change on screen at max 100Hz.
Sure, you can brag you're running at 300FPS, but only 1 in 3 frames will actually be different, so all you're doing is stressing your GPU and wasting power.
Quote from felplacerad :Yeah ... Should not be too hard (but probably boring) to map the values of cfg.txt and card_cfg.txt to human readable key and value pairs. Not sure about views.bin, though? I had a quick look at the content of \data\views\*.cvw but they appear to be binary. A hex editor didn't give much insight either.

But again, the .cfg files should be easy enough. I would not mind having a stab at building a webapp to store and compare those results if you can't be bothered.

Edit: Had another look at a CVW and was able to decipher some info by, in this example, changing the y-offset around. But the values doesn't quite correspond so I'm not sure what to make of it. Unless someone else has more mad hacking skillz perhaps Scawen could shed some light on this ...

My plan was to store everyone's settings to a database. Then I could play around with the output and create some tables, charts and all kind of stats from that.

If you want to give it a go, do it, I don't mind. If it works well, why not. I could help you out with some things it you want.

LFS options survey
(63 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG