The online racing simulator
Performance Difference
(15 posts, started )
Performance Difference
HI Hardcore People.

Just wondering, what performance difference could I expect. Here is the base system:

Z77 Pro Motherboard
16GB DDR Matched 1600 Memory
1TB Sata Drive
Geforce GTX 750ti 2GB

Now I will be replacing an I3-2100@3.3ghz with an I5-2400@3.1ghz. I know the latter runs Quad Core, and my current runs dual core, but will I see a significant difference, mostly in gaming?

Oh, it was a freebie

Regards

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :HI Hardcore People.

Just wondering, what performance difference could I expect. Here is the base system:

Z77 Pro Motherboard
1TB Sata Drive
Geforce GTX 750ti 2GB

Now I will be replacing an I3-2100@3.3ghz with an I5-2400@3.1ghz. I know the latter runs Quad Core, and my current runs dual core, but will I see a significant difference, mostly in gaming?

Oh, it was a freebie

Regards

Fordie

The weak point will still be the GPU in gaming. I have SLI-d 760's and my CPU (i7-4770) is barely worked at all in most games.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :The weak point will still be the GPU in gaming.

So are you saying I will see not major difference at all, although I have gone from dual core with 3mb cache to quad core with 6mb cache?

Although this "freebie" was worth over £250 and I wont see a difference??

Fordie
#4 - Bean0
You'd notice a difference in video enconding probably, and intensive photoshop shite, but games really are GPU limited nowadays.
Thanks for the links Forbin. Although marginal performance difference, still not to be sniffed at, as a freebie

They was going to throw the PC in the bin due to motherboard fault, so I opened her up to find an I5 processor...I saved it

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :HI Hardcore People.

Z77 Pro Motherboard
1TB Sata Drive
Geforce GTX 750ti 2GB

Oh, it was a freebie

Regards

Fordie

I used to run a i5-2400@3.7Ghz, games ran really well considering it's not a top CPU - that was with a GTX770.

You'll definitely notice a boost in games that utilise four cores
Quote from lukelfs :I used to run a i5-2400@3.7Ghz, games ran really well considering it's not a top CPU - that was with a GTX770.

You'll definitely notice a boost in games that utilise four cores

Did you overclock it?
If you did, did you have stock cooling system? (i.e just fans)

I have been told, that I can get 4ghz out of this chip, but don't want to push it

Cheers

Fordie
I must say you have really good specs but you have to much ram for this graphics. But you can excpect a lot! If you want more i recomend hd7990 because of the ram. But you can be sadisfied with it.
Watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTViUoyCiTE
See other videos with lower graphics and ram. Then think.
Quote from Tomislav531 : you have to much ram for this graphics. But you can excpect a lot! If you want more i recomend hd7990 because of the ram.

What... I don't even..

Even if having lots of RAM would relate to VRAM, it doesn't stack on dual-GPU cards like the 7990. That 6 GB which AMD advertises is split in half by each GPU, so all you get with it is only 3 GB of usable framebuffer memory.
Look i didnt talked to you so...
I think that 16gb is to much ram if you want perfectly check on game debate.
Today I learned you can have too much RAM for your graphics card.
Quote from Tomislav531 :I think that 16gb is to much ram if you want perfectly check on game debate.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
TIL - You can have too much ram with windows
( No, not all used but certainly better than 8 gig which not enough )

Back to the real world, take a look at this,
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel- ... 400-vs-Intel-Core-i3-2100
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compa ... ntel_Core_i5_i5-2400.html

Short answer, Good update - go for it. You may or may not see an improvement but it's a quicker processor and its free. What's not to like about that.

You can also sell your old one and add the money to your video card fund.
The only game I've played that isn't happy with 8G RAM is MoH WF. Always low RAM warning on 8G.

VRAM don't stack up for rendering on dual GPU cards. Would be better with dual 6GB 7970.

Quote from Bose321 :Today I learned you can have too much RAM for your graphics card.

Must have clicked the RAM download too many times.

Performance Difference
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG