The online racing simulator
Quote from chanoman315 :
Or what can be done:
Good drivers, Teams, fast guys etc, can work with Scawen to provide a base setup for each combo, that can be fast and reliable in some situations (Qualy, quick races) like some games come up with.

This, I would be happy to help too
A question: If setups were removed from the mpr files (please don't blame me on exaggerating this), could it turn the cars in the replays just to floating objects? I can imagine that the setup data is in someway needed to recreate the car paths and car movements for the replay. So if that part is lost I fear it increases the number of unclear incidents in league racing. I could also imagine it could decrease the will of video makers to do their projects.

I guess there is no solution without disadvantages. And if it is really the case that you need the setup to create/recreate the detail of the cars, the problem of a hacking program would move from the mpr files to the live racing, with programs running live and fishing the setup files from the live data, that needs to be created for the racer to see what's happening around. Atleast these are the options I see, deriving them from my limited knowledge in that topic.

Quote from chanoman315 :Or what can be done:
Good drivers, Teams, fast guys etc, can work with Scawen to provide a base setup for each combo, that can be fast and reliable in some situations (Qualy, quick races) like some games come up with.

That's a nice idea to have more competitive base sets. I guess "casual racers" are not willing to invest that much time to create a setup.

The whole affair feels a bit like when you play poker with your best friends. There is always this one guy in the group, who tries to look into your cards when noone watchs him.
I know very little about computers and how things work, are there other people posting here the same as me? Or just in denial?

Quote from Scawen :It's a matter of time. I could spend 100% of my days working on a shape-shifting LFS to try to stay ahead of 100 hackers. And any moment I stopped they would have the answer and spread it .....

Quote from danielroelofs :`
At least I hope it remains possible to extract data to external applications like it happens now. This perhaps means that data must be stored somewhere and must be read by those external applications. This could be a weak spot perhaps? Would be such a shame if we can't use telemetry programs anymore..

In my (layman) term...if I can see you then you have sent me your stuff and we are currently "allowed" to use some of that stuff.

I can only guess that there is no way to detect if a set up has been taken...unless the download is via the game?

I agree that it is great when people can learn how to make a set up from scratch or even adjust a few things to make the car drive how they want it to....but there is the point...

I can give a day one person my set...he can not drive it at all....I can help by giving a better set up for him...(no matter it is 2 seconds/lap slower for me)...he improves.
I can enter a competition or upload a world record lap...I can share my set...if others do not share then I can still have it anyway?
Quote from TFalke55 :A question: If setups were removed from the mpr files (please don't blame me on exaggerating this), could

Like already was discussed earlier, it doesn't matter. Setup data can be obtained live elsewhere too.
Quote from chanoman315 :

Or what can be done:

Count me in.
Quote from TFalke55 :A question: If setups were removed from the mpr files (please don't blame me on exaggerating this), could it turn the cars in the replays just to floating objects? I can imagine that the setup data is in someway needed to recreate the car paths and car movements for the replay. So if that part is lost I fear it increases the number of unclear incidents in league racing. I could also imagine it could decrease the will of video makers to do their projects.

I guess there is no solution without disadvantages. And if it is really the case that you need the setup to create/recreate the detail of the cars, the problem of a hacking program would move from the mpr files to the live racing, with programs running live and fishing the setup files from the live data, that needs to be created for the racer to see what's happening around. Atleast these are the options I see, deriving them from my limited knowledge in that topic.

I believe that LFS.exe needs to have the sets of all online players because it needs to extrapolate the state of a car over a time which is determined by the player's ping time (or maybe two times the ping, because the traffic might be routed through the server). This time is somewhere in the range of 100ms-300ms assuming fair network connections. Note that this process is a prediction into the future from a given car state at some point in the past (the time where the last network packet has been sent by this player).

When we just want to watch an .mpr file, this situation is different, because the future is already stored in the .mpr file and can be used to estimate the car state between two (or also more) samples of network packages. I don't think that you will be able to notice a difference, if the sample rate of the .mpr files is high enough. 50 Hz (-> 20ms between the samples) shall be more than enough...

The drawback is development time and larger replay files.

And yes, Dave is right about the possibility to get the data from the running LFS.exe file. Preventing this would probably require a lot of effort. I suppose that there would be much less people using the "LFS.exe live extractor" than the .mpr extractor because the latter feels much more illegal than the former.
Quote from cargame.nl :Like already was discussed earlier, it doesn't matter. Setup data can be obtained live elsewhere too.

Quote from NeverEatYellowSnow :I believe that LFS.exe needs to have the sets of all online players because it needs to extrapolate the state of a car over a time which is determined by the player's ping time (or maybe two times the ping, because the traffic might be routed through the server). This time is somewhere in the range of 100ms-300ms assuming fair network connections. Note that this process is a prediction into the future from a given car state at some point in the past (the time where the last network packet has been sent by this player).

When we just want to watch an .mpr file, this situation is different, because the future is already stored in the .mpr file and can be used to estimate the car state between two (or also more) samples of network packages. I don't think that you will be able to notice a difference, if the sample rate of the .mpr files is high enough. 50 Hz (-> 20ms between the samples) shall be more than enough...

The drawback is development time and larger replay files.

And yes, Dave is right about the possibility to get the data from the running LFS.exe file. Preventing this would probably require a lot of effort. I suppose that there would be much less people using the "LFS.exe live extractor" than the .mpr extractor because the latter feels much more illegal than the former.

Sorry... Tried to read me through the stuff here, must have missed it. Thanks for clearing it up
Quote from chanoman315 :Or what can be done:

Great idea
Quote :Originally Posted by chanoman315
Or what can be done:

I'd be available for roadcars. Possibly GT cars as well.. but Dennis will put in some greater effort i guess
Quote from danielroelofs :I'd be available for roadcars. Possibly GT cars as well.. but Dennis will put in some greater effort i guess

I'd be good for open wheelers and GT's. I leave road cars to other though XD
The problem will always be there, even running a fixed setup there will still be people stealing your tyre pressure setup.

Get over it, if someone beats you with your setup, maybe they were faster on the day. There are more important things to focus on.
There will always be theft, if it's only your setup and not your email and browsing then be happy.

Dynamic weather, track etc will be the best solution for this, changing conditions make setup a lottery so there's a better fix than chasing your tail to lock down the program.
It could be useful if admins (or even clients) can store setups on the server and clients can just pick them from an additional context menu in the pit screen.
Having ability to have race practice (and qualification) without sending setup-package to each other would be nice. I guess cars will look laggy, but it will solve the problem mostly.
Quote from vitaly_m :Having ability to have race practice (and qualification) without sending setup-package to each other would be nice. I guess cars will look laggy, but it will solve the problem mostly.

and make close racing impossible.
Not thinking of a new solution to encrypt setup files because they are inevitably going to be decrypted by hackers is like saying I'm not going to take care of my health anymore because I am going to inevitably die. (I'm not trying to complain. I respect what Scawen develops and rightfully this is his project. Just putting an analogy out there)

Those who want to share their setups have been given the option to do so but rightfully to those who dedicated a lot of time to making theirs should have the right to keep theirs secret. I don't think this is a matter of what type of racing you are doing. It's moral and principle. As crude as it sounds, just because you are willing to share doesn't mean others are.

But... If I share, we will have better races! Yup, there's a Send Setup button in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. Hit "n" and you'll see the menu.

But... If I'm a better driver, and I could be faster than him if I had his setup. Well then, learn to make setups or admit you're not as good, because making a setup / communicating your needs is also an integral part of driving.
I spent a lot of time create my own set and someone comes save MPR and several hour race run settings it is suddenly public hmmm.
Who created this s...d program for MP ?! Destroy the work of the other honest people.
Why people do not respect " pls send set" -yes- TNX, -no- OK !!!
For the record, the setups can be extracted from EITHER the mpr OR in a live server.

There ONE and ONLY ONE beneficial use a tool could have: Allowing admins of forced-setup leagues to collect sets from all drivers without having to use the SS function, which takes time and is useless for a driver who times out or spectates too early.

Otherwise, it's not really "cheating" as much as it's "unsporting"
Quote from Drift1r :Pearce it's a nice concept, but the variables really prove it wrong.
the people that would set their share option to "share" are the same people that would just say yes if someone asked them in LFS as it is now and vice versa.
it's a very very minute change, it only really removes asking.

Yeah you're probably right to be honest, if only there was a solution to this, so that people who wanna share can share and people who don't want to will have that right to say no and that being the end of it. I honestly can't think of another way, other than keeping it the way it is now.
Quote from GenesisX :Not thinking of a new solution to encrypt setup files because they are inevitably going to be decrypted by hackers is like saying I'm not going to take care of my health anymore because I am going to inevitably die. (I'm not trying to complain. I respect what Scawen develops and rightfully this is his project. Just putting an analogy out there)

Need a better analogy really...what if taking care of my health meant I could not have fun...

Quote from Slovakia ring :
Who created this s...d program for MP ?! Destroy the work of the other honest people.

I expect if you search the forum you will find many threads about "set stealing"...and maybe even a name of at least one person who made a "set stealing tool"..

It does not matter who makes/made the tool or how it works...the fact is that if someone wants to get a set up then they will.
The new person can neither access a pro set up or use it properly without some effort/help.
The person that has better knowledge of set ups and the game can have any set up...

Why bother fighting it?
why can't i get online
i just download LFS 0.6F so i can get online and here is the funny part I CAN'T GET ONLINE.....

it says that there are over 300 servers but i can't go on then at at says that it can't get a anwser from the server please help me
Quote from Slovakia ring :I spent a lot of time create my own set and someone comes save MPR and several hour race run settings it is suddenly public hmmm.

Don't be so dramatic. Nothing is being "destroyed."

You still have your set and, presumably, it will still suit you just fine. There is no reason someone else being able to download your set should change that.

The vitriol and narcissism in this thread are insane.
Quote from Dennis93 :and make close racing impossible.

Do you read me? In practice and qualification.
Quote from Slovakia ring :I spent a lot of time create my own set and someone comes save MPR and several hour race run settings it is suddenly public hmmm.

and where did the set you use originate from,someone else i bet !
Granted you may have altered to your liking but and style

Many use someone elses setup as a base to work from
Quote from bishtop :and where did the set you use originate from,someone else i bet !
Granted you may have altered to your liking but and style

Many use someone elses setup as a base to work from

So what? If you ask someone a setup, then modify it for yourself. I don't see anything wrong with that and it doesn't change the situation Roman mentioned.

Setup stealing and sharing discussion (from 0.6F thread)
(216 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG