The online racing simulator
Switch between two gfx cards
(5 posts, started )
Hello,

I have been long time absent to LFS and just got remotivated thanks to the latest updates. But things change, nowadays I am mainly on Mac. I have a completely fanless HTPC though (HD4000 gfx, 8gb ram, SSD and i3). LFS runs ok with it on 1920x1080 but I dont wanna just accept 50-60fps.

On the other hand I dont wanna give up on my HTPC experience with no moving parts not so ever, I love the tranquility. I could accept a little fan noise while playing though.

The question now is, can I install a mid-priced low profile gfx card into my PCI Express slot and just use it for LFS/gaming? I dont wanna use it for Desktop or XBMC (my HTPC software). I want to use it on the same screen though (TV has one HDMI input left).

Is there any way to do this? I am on Windows 8.1

Thanks,
Steffen
#2 - troy
You could look at virtu mvp, it does pretty much what you're asking for, you plug your monitor in your mainboards hd4000 out and virtu mvp will switch to your more powerfull gpu on programs/games you set up with it. Since lfs is now using dx9 it does work with it too.

Depending on your motherboard you may even be able to use virtu for free, it is included with a lot of recent boards. (Was with my asrock one for example)

http://lucidlogix.com/products/virtu-mvp-2-0-for-windows/
Thanks troy. That sounds amazing. Almost too good to be true, do you have any experience with it?

As far as I understand, the gfx power of the dedicated gfx card is channeled through the mainboard and is being outputted over the normal mainboard video output. Also it seems like the switch is completely seemless.
#4 - troy
I was experimenting with it but it didn't like Assetto Corsa on my system, others got it to work though. It did work nicely with LFS and some other games I've tried.
Thanks a lot!

(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG