The online racing simulator
My theory of what happened to LFS...
(221 posts, closed, started )
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Again, having rapid updates with progressively worse physics would be better than few updates with stable physics?

Your logic is failing.

Quite true,

iRacing is not worth for the money you pay for it. You have to constantly pay for every track or new car they release (if you want to play with someone Online) I can't get the point of the people who play that game, it's just a waste of money at all.

Faster releases won't make a game better.

Quote from Bmxtwins :it wouldn't be as boring.

So you're saying LFS is boring cause you can't buy a car and a track every week?
Quote from Chriship :
So you're saying LFS is boring cause you can't buy a car and a track every week?

#capitalism
It's capitalism to expect more updates than once (or zero depending how you count) every.. what, 6 years or however long it's been? Why was Eric making new tracks? "Capitalism"? Does he expect the game to be less fun with those new tracks?

What a ridiculous excuse for honest discussion.
Quote from Chriship :

Nobody is saying that, but denying that LFS needs an update is the real facepalm. It badly, badly needs one. The fact that it's forums are even still visited is a miracle in itself, and a speaks volumes to what the game means to so many people (myself included).

On topic, I have no reason not to believe that they guys are still developing it. Exactly why it has taken so long is truly one of the great mysteries of The Internet. And the lack of communication is frankly disappointing.
Quote from Breizh :It's capitalism to expect more updates than once (or zero depending how you count) every.. what, 6 years or however long it's been? Why was Eric making new tracks? "Capitalism"? Does he expect the game to be less fun with those new tracks?

What a ridiculous excuse for honest discussion.

You missed what I was referring to. I was more referring to how iRacing requires you to continue buying things as if it were a spoilt jobless girlfriend. Every day it's "buy me car, buy my track".
Quote from dawesdust_12 :You missed what I was referring to. I was more referring to how iRacing requires you to continue buying things as if it were a spoilt jobless girlfriend. Every day it's "buy me car, buy my track".

I'm a fan of iRacing.

iRacing doesn't force you to buy, but rather you wan't to buy (some) of those shiny things (couldn't care less for oval content). I went to play some snooker with a friend and after three beers and two hours of play it cost a total 37 euros each. iRacing is dirt cheap compared to this. Of course, as it is an online racing series it is quite difficult to race a full season if you don't have all the track content the schedule determines. Luckily I'm not too bothered to race against real people, too much "work" involved, I mostly just hotlap and race against myself.

So how does this compare to LFS where you can't purchase new content even if you would like to?

I just think it's quite one sided view saying that iRacing does everything half assed as you seem to claim. Conversely I do like the latest NTM5 and with the latest patch you can enable "friction" in ini settings to make you feel more connected with your FFB wheel. I do think that the cars aren't always as controllable as I would like to, regaining grip is sometimes quite difficult. But overall it's quite enjoyable once you've familiarized yourself with the handling, you need to get into to the zone.

I guess the biggest thing for me is the laser scanned tracks with all the bumps and camber changes. LFS surface feels very dull and uninspiring being almost perfectly smooth. Also I think iRacing has nailed the cockpit movement, my eyes are at rest when consentrating on the horizon while still having a good sense what the car is doing. Especially with triplescreen and FOV around 140. I haven't been able to achieve the same in LFS or in AC either. In LFS the car chassis seem to react too fast to bumbs, very distracting. Just these two issues make iRacing worth it to me personally. Plus it looks quite nice, very practical and realistic. I don't care for 'effects' (of course I wouldn't mind having dynamic weather and track surfaces).

Most angst seem to come from the fact that 'some' think it's too expensive. "I'd like to have that shiny thing but it's too expensive for me so I'll bash it to hell saying it's the worst ever to make myself feel better for not having the shiny thing that some for some odd reason seem to like despite it's totally not worth it. Yeah thats it, iRacing sucks"
Quote from farcar :Nobody is saying that, but denying that LFS needs an update is the real facepalm. It badly, badly needs one. The fact that it's forums are even still visited is a miracle in itself, and a speaks volumes to what the game means to so many people (myself included).

Of course, we all know this game needs an Update. But the fact that a game needs updates doesn't mean that you need an update every week or month to have more fun in the game itself. You can still have lots of fun in LFS, if you know how to organize it.

Quote from aaltomar :I'm a fan of iRacing.

iRacing doesn't force you to buy, but rather you wan't to buy (some) of those shiny things (couldn't care less for oval content).ork" involved, I mostly just hotlap and race against myself.

Don't they? Of course they force you. If they release new content, there are new leagues who use that content. If you want to race with them you are forced to buy the car and the track, there's no other way.
Quote from Chriship :Don't they? Of course they force you. If they release new content, there are new leagues who use that content. If you want to race with them you are forced to buy the car and the track, there's no other way.

Every season they change the schedules to use as much new content as possible, inherently forcing everyone to buy all the new content in order to compete.
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :oh dear, you will be disapointed. scawen already has trouble going from dx8 to dx9

im not i know that porting is always tricky i mean i had problems couple of years ago when i wanted to port maps from an old UE engine to a new one..i cant imagine how it is to "update" from an old api to a new one..
Quote from aaltomar :I'm a fan of iRacing.

iRacing doesn't force you to buy, but rather you wan't to buy (some) of those shiny things (couldn't care less for oval content). I went to play some snooker with a friend and after three beers and two hours of play it cost a total 37 euros each. iRacing is dirt cheap compared to this. Of course, as it is an online racing series it is quite difficult to race a full season if you don't have all the track content the schedule determines. Luckily I'm not too bothered to race against real people, too much "work" involved, I mostly just hotlap and race against myself.

So how does this compare to LFS where you can't purchase new content even if you would like to?

I just think it's quite one sided view saying that iRacing does everything half assed as you seem to claim. Conversely I do like the latest NTM5 and with the latest patch you can enable "friction" in ini settings to make you feel more connected with your FFB wheel. I do think that the cars aren't always as controllable as I would like to, regaining grip is sometimes quite difficult. But overall it's quite enjoyable once you've familiarized yourself with the handling, you need to get into to the zone.

I guess the biggest thing for me is the laser scanned tracks with all the bumps and camber changes. LFS surface feels very dull and uninspiring being almost perfectly smooth. Also I think iRacing has nailed the cockpit movement, my eyes are at rest when consentrating on the horizon while still having a good sense what the car is doing. Especially with triplescreen and FOV around 140. I haven't been able to achieve the same in LFS or in AC either. In LFS the car chassis seem to react too fast to bumbs, very distracting. Just these two issues make iRacing worth it to me personally. Plus it looks quite nice, very practical and realistic. I don't care for 'effects' (of course I wouldn't mind having dynamic weather and track surfaces).

Most angst seem to come from the fact that 'some' think it's too expensive. "I'd like to have that shiny thing but it's too expensive for me so I'll bash it to hell saying it's the worst ever to make myself feel better for not having the shiny thing that some for some odd reason seem to like despite it's totally not worth it. Yeah thats it, iRacing sucks"

so iracing doesnt force you? they do giveaway freely tracks and cars?
and so if iracing doesnt force you to buy overpriced piece of s^$^%$% who does? your self? what twisted logic is that?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :You missed what I was referring to. I was more referring to how iRacing requires you to continue buying things as if it were a spoilt jobless girlfriend. Every day it's "buy me car, buy my track".

My bad, agreed. OTOH if there's a good reason for not releasing Eric's content, I missed it. For me the issue isn't that LFS is dead or not, or falling behind other sims or not, it's that there's no other sim that I like as much.

So what's the hold up? I really don't see why LFS would be worse off if Scawen and Eric filled in the gaps in the content a little, in spite of the physics being a bit off. So what?... Does anyone that's still here care about that problem? There's enough of us to QA a few new cars and tracks.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Every season they change the schedules to use as much new content as possible, inherently forcing everyone to buy all the new content in order to compete.

Actually, the season schedule is decided on by the members not the iracing staff. in addition to drive, say the new BMW in the GT3 series, you don't need to buy that car to compete. You can just use either of the other two cars in the series instead.
Quote from StableX :Actually, the season schedule is decided on by the members not the iracing staff. in addition to drive, say the new BMW in the GT3 series, you don't need to buy that car to compete. You can just use either of the other two cars in the series instead.

that's why they make the bmw OP so everyone has to buy that one to have fun.
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :that's why they make the bmw OP so everyone has to buy that one to have fun.

Isn't that the normal Free2Play model? Except iRacing does it while you're also paying them obnoxious sums of money.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Isn't that the normal Free2Play model? Except iRacing does it while you're also paying them obnoxious sums of money.

I've seen a lot of F2P games without this, but those typical F2P games, yes
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :I've seen a lot of F2P games without this, but those typical F2P games, yes

DOTA is the only F2P game I know of where you cannot "buy" skill. League has like 90% of the champions for sale at any given time, and "new" ones are always OP at first so the people who buy them can just get ez wins. HoN is similar.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :DOTA is the only F2P game I know of where you cannot "buy" skill. League has like 90% of the champions for sale at any given time, and "new" ones are always OP at first so the people who buy them can just get ez wins. HoN is similar.

indeed, I play games like OSU!, Hawken and TM nations. where taht's ahrder to do (not in hawken, but somehow it's not p2w at all)
Quote from giannhsgr1 :so iracing doesnt force you? they do giveaway freely tracks and cars?
and so if iracing doesnt force you to buy overpriced piece of s^$^%$% who does? your self? what twisted logic is that?

The subscription includes seven 'free" cars and ten 'free' tracks. 'Free' being that you still need to pay the monthly subscription fee.

The comparison that everyone missed was that for me hotlapping and time trials is my cup of coffee, quick in and out. Compared to LFS where you can't get new quality content even if you wanted to, I don't absolutely have to buy anything else than the subscription which can be had relatively cheap when you buy half price like in Black Friday deals. Or even cheaper when you combine iRacing dollars and participant credits for racing regulary.

Nowadays people expect to have massive content for $49.95 (or preferably less), but to combine massive content with low price you need to sell hundreds of thousands to millions. iRacing being a 'hardcore' sim without much gameplay doesn't attract the casual racer who wants best bang for the buck.

For me the content is fairly priced. Compared to how much I get done in my work and how much the company pays me, iRacing content is actually a bargain for the effort it takes to create the content. It's very far from being shitty/half assed effort and those who claim it to be so I really can't take seriously.

Here's a 15 minute video of creating the Circuit of the Americas track:
http://youtu.be/mq0MK6aXaV0
It's a lot of work.

Again, personally I feel I get a fair return for my Euros. If you're happier with other titles, more power to you.
well i use to create maps for css and ut in ue let me say that the most "irritating " part of a map/track is the fine tuning of the textures and having already specific high res pictures of the texture you wanna use makes your life x100 better..

today you can map a track even with sound waves..some people even use small drones to scan a specific area(which btw can be autopiloted)

so you see nowdays there isnt "lots of work" when a team knows what the hell they are doing when i see videos like that (and believe me there are tons of those for every god damn game) that want to justify their hard work with some funky machines and some good shot angles it just makes me wanna die

problem is that you pay a montly fee AND you need to pay extra to play whatever league you want(if you want in the first place..) its like valve makes half life 3 and charge you every level you pass i mean its stupid but there are people that gonna pay..(like those idiots in mechwarrior that payed 500+bucks to get a gold skin..)

(and you cant get a return because pixels doesnt really compensate actually you loose from electric bill +net bill+iracing bla bla bla unless you mine coins in the same time )
Quote from dawesdust_12 :DOTA is the only F2P game I know of where you cannot "buy" skill. League has like 90% of the champions for sale at any given time, and "new" ones are always OP at first so the people who buy them can just get ez wins. HoN is similar.

Everytime I read a comment from you, it just makes you sink deeper into the dirt. You probably don't know anything about LoL aswell, like iRacing. The time spawn between releasing championship became so much that you can savae up the IP for them just playing one game a day, like literally. That's not really what I'd call pay to win.

Your theory about iRacing is still in fact as wrong as it can get, now you are coming with the Pay2Win mark, because you are tired of saying how bad physics are. Who is holding a gun to your head that you must buy the BMW in order to play iRacing? I don't think that happened with anybody. I'm doing a season at the RUF Cup and I do so without buying any additional content compared to Season 1. As someone mentioned, the community is voting or a small-part of the community decides the next season schedule, if nobody wanted the new track on calendar, then it wouldn't be there. You know people just want to race new stuff because they are excited about it, and not because iRacing is holding a gun to their head to throw $15 out of their pocket or they pull the trigger.
What's there to know about league other than all difficult mechanics like denying, stacking camps and rune control are removed. As well you only get a selection of 12~ champions per "season" to use for free. The other 90~ you have to pay for and they're $7 each.

As well "new" champions are never free, and they're always OP for the first month, so people who buy them have "Ez win" until they're fixed.

Everyone knows that League is pay2win, as you can even buy runes to slot into your hero before the match that give you an unfair advantage from minute 0.

DOTA does not. DOTA is about as fair and balanced as a MOBA can be, along with skill and awareness being the reason you win. You can't purchase any enhanced skills and all heros are unlocked from minute 0 for everyone. Every purchase is simply a cosmetic item.

DOTA is perfect Free2Play in that it makes you want to buy items or tickets to watch tournaments.

League is Free2Lose/Pay2Win.

iRacing is Pay2BHomeless.
Uh, please don't comment on stuff you don't know about properly. Since when do you HAVE TO pay for champs in League of Legends? You can just happily play the game and collect Influence Points which also make it possible to buy champions. You also get 10 every WEEK. All the new champions are free 2 weeks after their release and you know in competitive play you can actually BAN them, if you think they're op. Nobody who isn't as stupid as you to make facts about things you aren't even into thinks it's a pay2win game. You can get to challenger and play competitively without spending a single buck on the game. You can't even buy runes with your money, only the ingame currency which is earnt by playing and it's the core of the game, and everybody uses them. The only stuff that you can't get hold of with ingame currency is skins, which is only just for the looks, DOTA has those aswell. Looks like anything you are bad at you will just call it a pay2win without building any knowledge of the game itself.
Quote from Kristi :Uh, please don't comment on stuff you don't know about properly. Since when do you HAVE TO pay for champs in League of Legends? You can just happily play the game and collect Influence Points which also make it possible to buy champions. You also get 10 every WEEK. All the new champions are free 2 weeks after their release and you know in competitive play you can actually BAN them, if you think they're op. Nobody who isn't as stupid as you to make facts about things you aren't even into thinks it's a pay2win game. You can get to challenger and play competitively without spending a single buck on the game. You can't even buy runes with your money, only the ingame currency which is earnt by playing and it's the core of the game, and everybody uses them. The only stuff that you can't get hold of with ingame currency is skins, which is only just for the looks, DOTA has those aswell. Looks like anything you are bad at you will just call it a pay2win without building any knowledge of the game itself.

A DOTA player told a League player that DOTA was better. The League player couldn't deny.
Who the heck wants to compare which game is better? You are talking about how LoL is a Pay2Win game and I stated facts to show that it clearly isn't. Can't even argue with you properly, cause you just throw random bullshit out of context.
Quote from Kristi :Who the heck wants to compare which game is better? You are talking about how LoL is a Pay2Win game and I stated facts to show that it clearly isn't. Can't even argue with you properly, cause you just throw random bullshit out of context.

It is pay2win.

Source: I played it.
This thread is closed

My theory of what happened to LFS...
(221 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG