The online racing simulator
Quote from nacim :@Scawen : If you have problem with DirectX, why don't you just start to convert it to OpenGL ? It's faster, compatible with all OS, and open source, so you are not dependent of any Microsoft's decision.

DirectX is a lot more that the graphics. So OpenGL is not gonna happen anytime soon in LFS.
Quote from Whiskey :DirectX is a lot more that the graphics. So OpenGL is not gonna happen anytime soon in LFS.

I know, but all the library that a game need, exist in open-source version, such as OpenGL and OpenCL, to replace the DirectX.
Valve created a tool to help dev to convert theirs games from DirectX9 to OpenGL (ToGL)
Quote from nacim :I know, but all the library that a game need, exist in open-source version, such as OpenGL and OpenCL, to replace the DirectX.
Valve created a tool to help dev to convert theirs games from DirectX9 to OpenGL (ToGL)

I know, I was the first to tell Scawen about its existence

But it still requires an investigation and implementation time that I', pretty sure Scawen would like to spend on other things. This OpenGL vs DirectX was already discussed back when the first test patch came up, so I don't think he has changed his mind, though he is the only one who knows it for sure hehe
It requires a lot more than "drop OpenGL to replace Direct3D". OpenGLonly defines graphics, where DirectX has the full stack from networking to audio to input to FFB. All those other systems would need to be rewritten for what gain? LFS already runs well in WINE.

All that software effort would be effectively useless and just a massive waste of time.
New Test Patch
A new test patch E15 is available with fixes and improved 3D and Oculus Rift support.

One of the fixes related to crashes when using FRAPS or when another program went full screen.

I would be interested to know if the following crashes are fixed, or if the problem still comes up in another way.

www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1843317#post1843317 - Fordman (SoftTH)
www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1845394#post1845394 - Daniel (Fraps)
www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1847351#post1847351 - PeterN

E15 : https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=85807
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6E8 (now E14 - DirectX 9 + 3D / VR support)
(405 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG