The online racing simulator
War thunder ground forces
(30 posts, started )
I'd imagine there are many peeps gere who play wt but for some reason no thread. Anyways wt recently went to open beta with the tanks. Only russan and zerman tenks so far but it is much more fun than I expected.

The driving physics are a bit wonky. Imagine a 50 ton moped and you get the idea. But it is not bad at all to drive the tanks. It is fun. I have no idea half of the time (well, 90% of the time) what I'm doing in the menus and in the battles but it still feels a lot more like a tank game than world of tanks which is more like slow paced counterstrike with tanks (which is fun too but also "very taxing to the soul").

Any lfssers playing war thunder?

As this is the first post about the topic here are few screenies and youtubes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ZvTl8nVsY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt8N4O3niDA
I'm playing War Thunder as well. But haven't been driving the tanks for many battles yet as I'm not used to them as it is a big difference compered to WoT.
I've been playing ground forces a lot already. it's damn fun and better than WoT
I played WT for a bit, but got tired of the usual F2P pay/grind-wall unlock junk.

I recently subbed to Aces High 2, a much older and graphically dated game with much better physics (sound familiar? ), larger-scale battles, and a persistent war zone (no instancing as in WT). There is only one flight model, rather than WT's arcade and sim.

There are some planes you need to "unlock" with Perk points, but they're the truly dominant planes and rarely seen. The reason is simple: it takes a while to get a sufficient quantity of Perk points to spend on a Perk plane/vehicle/boat, and if you make it back to base, you get them back. If you get shot down, you lose the Perk points you spent.

There are a number of planes of similar variety to WT, with some models having more variants and others having fewer. There are also a number of ground vehicles (tanks, anti-aircraft, personnel) and boats (patrol and amphibious). Some maps include a carrier group that has a limited number of planes that can take off from the carrier, but which can bombard a coastal base from the water.
I've been playing WT for a fair bit, but not tried the ground forces. I'm still hugely into WoT, and I'm a little unsure after hearing stories of gameplay involving driving for 5 minutes, camping for a further five minutes before being one-shotted by a tank you can't even see.

There's currently a mission on in WoT to win a SuperPershing which is due to finish at the end of the month so I'll probably give it a go after that.
I wanted to like WTGF, but I gave up after two battles for a couple of gameplay and garage/research UI issues. Don't play much WoT either these days
I played this a lot in the last few months. Was only playing as British, so I eventually got to Tier V and promptly decided to never fly a British jet again (the first Meteor is laughably bad). Since then I've been working on US and USSR, trying to get some big cannoned planes for when they start doing combined battles again.

Tanks are..... ugh. I had the closed beta and they were decent fun for a bit, but balancing issues really started to ground down my patience.
Quote from Crashgate3 :I've been playing WT for a fair bit, but not tried the ground forces. I'm still hugely into WoT, and I'm a little unsure after hearing stories of gameplay involving driving for 5 minutes, camping for a further five minutes before being one-shotted by a tank you can't even see.

There's currently a mission on in WoT to win a SuperPershing which is due to finish at the end of the month so I'll probably give it a go after that.

I've only played couple of days so far and I don't think the 5 minutes driving, 5 minutes camping and then being instakilled is true at all. I have only been playing the realistic battles and my impression is that in order to have a good game you need to get closer to the enemies to get clean shots. But if you just rush at the enemy they will easily kill you as well.

The best part is that the maps are not full of chokepoints like in wot so you don't ever get the kind of standoffs where both teams have big guns at both ends of a corridor and both are waiting the other one to make a move. It also seems to help that maps have multiple cap points instead of just one or two so the action tends to move around on the map as the tanks try to get control of all of the cap points.
That's a relief

As I said, I'll certainly give it a try, but I wants me my SuperPershing first. Only 150K xp to go...
What are the system requirements for tanks? Same for WT? And do I just need to download WT to play ground forces or something additional?
Quote from Sobis :What are the system requirements for tanks? Same for WT? And do I just need to download WT to play ground forces or something additional?

I think you can find the system requirements on the war thunder website. As for downloading there is one client that allows to play both tanks and planes.
ahh I forgot to add "as". I ment are the requirements the same as for WT? But I guess yes if the client is the same.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
I just started playing about a week and a half ago. My son kept bothering me to try it. He even gave me some modified controller - some PS 3 controller that does all this crap. It's real fun with LFS. So now I'm addicted. I only have the first two teir planes. I haven't played with the tanks, but for some reason, it makes me drive one in one of the missions in order to unlock realistic battles instead of arcades. I dunno. Not really a big tank fan. I guess if you like tanks it's OK, but I wouldn't know what to compare it to as far as game play goes.
It is almost funny how differently some of the tanks drive in wot and in wt. I just got T-50 and played couple of matches in it. That thing is kv-1 in wot. A very fast kv1. Also T34s for look like they have 5 metres of armor in every direction. Unlike in wot where they don't really have any usable armor at all.

Russians seem very op atm. They just more armor and better guns than the germans while mobility is the same for both...
Quote from Hyperactive :
Russians seem very op atm. They just more armor and better guns than the germans while mobility is the same for both...

I doubt this will be fixed, the aircraft have been the same since beta. 'Because avenge our grandfathers for glorious memory of Stalin.'
At last the t34 could not be more gloriously op...
I've played on and off for the past year or so. There's definitely a Russian bias going on in War Thunder. Afterall, they got their pride and ego to satisfy. But nothing is more satisfying to me than shooting their glorious UFO planes down.

Russian planes and tanks powerful and stronk! Made of stalinium and stalin wood! German 50mm and 75mm shells can into bouncing off armor!
Quote from hiroshima guy :I've played on and off for the past year or so. There's definitely a Russian bias going on in War Thunder. Afterall, they got their pride and ego to satisfy. But nothing is more satisfying to me than shooting their glorious UFO planes down.

Russian planes and tanks powerful and stronk! Made of stalinium and stalin wood! German 50mm and 75mm shells can into bouncing off armor!

What are talking about? The UFO plane nations is USA, then Germany, than UK, USSR. Plus you're getting permanent "stalinium brainless team" for soviets all the time. Soviet planes only rule at tier 1, but american planes can fight back greatly.

Tanks:
Tier 1 Germany > Soviets,
Tier 2 Germany < Soviets,
Tier 3 Germany = Soviets,
Tier 4 Germany = Soviets,
Tier 5 Germany < Soviets.

But "Soviet skill" can vary a lot.

Thats all about HB.
What you need to do is get the Yak-9K before the start doing combined tanks/aircraft again. It's got a 45mm that the call the fridge launcher and it absolutely annihilates tanks.
Nice little detail with the decals. You can earn some of them in battle and then use them for free. And national flag decals are free and you can scale and rotate them very freely. Plus you get to place the decals wherever you want on the tanks. Some people obviously have made their tanks look like christmas trees but I don't really mind. It just makes it easier for others to spot their tanks because bright red and yellow camo is not best forest camo.

Played my first simulation battle. Not sure if want. The battles seem to be a lot more long range which means you want high pen and high rof gun. Realistic battles seem like decent fun although there aren't that many maps. I have tried to get into few arcade battles but I always seem to get maps that don't have spots for tanks. Don't really care about the flying. Planes are a bit meh for me.

The driving physics feel more and more broken the more I play. The tanks can randomly rotate when you drive over parts of terrain that is not very smooth and tank collisions are just plain weird and make no sense at all... Overall the tanks just have too little grip, the tanks don't have any sense of weight and the way the suspension reacts to terrain looks very nice but it seems like the suspension can only pitch backwards and forwards and but not roll sideways when you take a fast turn or sit sideways on a hill side. When the tank lands a jump is just looks extremely wrong.

I like how the transmission is modeled in the tanks. Depending on the orientation of the tank (uphill, down hill, sideways in a hill or on flat ground) you need to use the wasd keys in a smart way to rotate the tank. Basically you want to always drive the tracks that have more weight on them. The tanks also have gearboxes which means when turning you rotation speed is affected very much at how high gear you are. You don't need to control the gears manually but it is still a nice touch and makes it more important and rewarding to position your tank when driving.
Quote from Rappa Z :What you need to do is get the Yak-9K before the start doing combined tanks/aircraft again. It's got a 45mm that the call the fridge launcher and it absolutely annihilates tanks.

It can only deal with planes and light vehicles, it has no armor-piercing ammo, 45mm high-explosives are useless even against Pz 2.

You can try attacking AI tanks in plane battles, they have the same damage model, its not that easy. The best planes against tanks are probably Ju-87 G-2 and IL-2. Me410 R6 is good too, but its hard to aim with it
What do you guys think of the matchmaking over the period of time since you started till the current guise? I feel that the Kingcobras are ridiculously under-tiered in this current patch for the amount of ass it kicks. While the first one in the line is relatively similar to the Airacobras, the other two with the better M10 cannon deserve a higher Battle Rating than just 4.0.
Quote from [RF]-art555 :It can only deal with planes and light vehicles, it has no armor-piercing ammo, 45mm high-explosives are useless even against Pz 2.

Crap, the it must be the Yak-9t I am thinking about. The 37 mm on that has armor piercing ammo.
The planes broke it. Like flying arty in wot
Quote from Hyperactive :The planes broke it. Like flying arty in wot

It will be a mess for a day or two, then it will sort out, I think.

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG