The online racing simulator
Quote from R3DMAN :had to shut it down, but i can re-open it if you want to rotate the tracks, you will just have to tell me which cars you want.

That was hate towards AC , i've meant when the race is over, server shuts down..

edit: nah, this is just so i*iotic, i really can't hold back the hate. You miss that booking window and now there's only one guy on the server doing quali and race by himself..
Quote from Eclipsed :I wonder where you get that optimism,considering what you think about their previous product and how similar this one is.

Well, towards the end netkar was actually ok to race online, you could switch sessions on the server and kick/ban people, it still was missing a lot of stuff that would make life a lot easier for hosters and players tough. But I guess we're also used to features other titles do not have because we come from one of THE online sims, makes you appreciate the work scavier put in over the years to make it the complete package it is today.
This might be Scavier's favorite thread right now :yipee:
Quote from fatalunfair :This might be Scavier's favorite thread right now :yipee:

It should make Scawen happy to see how he is the only race sim developer who has built a good engine that can swap assets on the fly, along with a great MP system
Quote :Troy -Kunos hasn't learned a single bit (or just doesn't think it needs priority

I am so surprised, there is no way on earth that any Dev / game developer has not tried LFS. to see the online system, the way the skins work, pick up racing the way a dedicated server works..need I go on to find out why LFS is / was so popular...LFS is so simple, and its freely available for anybody to test..so there is not excuse.

I guess Kunos wanted it his way....and yeah...it failed...yet again

Fordie
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It should make Scawen happy to see how he is the only race sim developer who has built a good engine that can swap assets on the fly, along with a great MP system

It shouldn't to be honest, as AC is/has a lot more to offer than LFS....I know joining a server is a balll ache...but that is at the moment...that can change rather quickly...Scawen has alot to worry about, trust me, and you know I am a LFS fan and have been for years....

If this is not a wake up call, then nothing will be. Apart from Joining a AC server, the rest makes LFS look old...very old, and i hate saying this, i really so, but for the first time....LFS is now playing catchup, and I hope it does

Fordie
the amount of retards on the servers is incredible. its almost impossible to find anyone decent to race with or any competitive servers and when you do, there is usually one or two retards that ruin it for everyone else. I didnt expect this many kiddies to be playing tbh..
Quote from Fordman :It shouldn't to be honest, as AC is/has a lot more to offer than LFS....I know joining a server is a balll ache...but that is at the moment...that can change rather quickly...Scawen has alot to worry about, trust me, and you know I am a LFS fan and have been for years....

If this is not a wake up call, then nothing will be. Apart from Joining a AC server, the rest makes LFS look old...very old, and i hate saying this, i really so, but for the first time....LFS is now playing catchup, and I hope it does

Fordie

That's the thing... It can't change quickly. Kunos is in love with the idea of launcher and game engine being separate. For the issues that AC has, that concept needs to be scrapped, along with tools for controller setup et all being built into the game engine itself. Realistically, it would require Kunos to effectively start on another game to get to the same place LFS is in terms of everything being accessible at all times.

Of course, quickly is all relative. If AC managed to get the required rewrite to be exceptional for online sims, it still might be quicker than waiting for LFS.
So you reckon we might never see skins downloading automatically, sharing of setups in-game and stuff like that?
Quote from Boris Lozac :So you reckon we might never see skins downloading automatically, sharing of setups in-game and stuff like that?

Well, unless Kunos actually changes how the engine is structured, I foresee weird shit like how my game kept crashing when I tried to load because my controls.ini got magically corrupt.

The engine is just really restrictive like the NKP engine was. You can't change any settings without leaving sim and re-entering. Maybe we will get it one day, but it seems very low on the priority list.

Which is a shame, as it's these exact problems that made NKP MP such a pain. Although at least NKP MP had some of the features that are missing. Maybe they'll be added, but the fear is that NKP MP will have been a more complete experience than AC MP...
Quote from kars19 :http://www.assettocorsa.net/fo ... dschleife-by-snoopy.9846/this guy is fast

It's good, there's some invisible barriers and walls once you leave the tarmac and you can't get back on the track.. Not sure if i should mess with the mods or just wait for the official version.

@ dustin

Skins and setups aside.. i hope atleast the engine can handle people getting in the server during practice or qualifications..
I think there's some ways to make it less terrible. The game knows all the cars the server has to load... just load them all and let people join the server. NKP used wireframe boxes to prevent join lag. You could just load <server max> of the cars, and players that join get assigned one.

It's still no LFS, but it'd make it a little less retarded.
Quote from Boris Lozac :So you reckon we might never see skins downloading automatically, sharing of setups in-game and stuff like that?

currently you can download other people's skins (manually), they just have to get installed as the same folder name in your skins folder. Its possible with use of an app similar to what iRacing has in tradingpaints.
I hope all "shareable" assets, except setups, are sharable through Steam Workshop.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :That's the thing... It can't change quickly. Kunos is in love with the idea of launcher and game engine being separate. For the issues that AC has, that concept needs to be scrapped, along with tools for controller setup et all being built into the game engine itself. Realistically, it would require Kunos to effectively start on another game to get to the same place LFS is in terms of everything being accessible at all times.

I would argue that a modular system in this case is more flexible IF the two components talk to each other via a well-designed, feature rich, openly documented interface.

If Kunos decides it's better to keep everything to himself in a messy way then it doesn't really matter whether it's modular or not.

I would love to see stuff like LFS's commands, scripts and InSim, allowing an external program to manage the race control and let the core system worry about the physics/graphics. But it doesn't look like AC is going this way.
Quote from Franky.S :the amount of retards on the servers is incredible. its almost impossible to find anyone decent to race with or any competitive servers and when you do, there is usually one or two retards that ruin it for everyone else. I didnt expect this many kiddies to be playing tbh..

To be honest I didn't expect anything more. This is a simulator distributed on Steam, what do you think?

@dawe, I also fear the fact that they are the same guys who made NKP and looks like they didn't learn much from past mistakes and as I can recall I still prefer NKP's physics over this one so I consider this a step backwards. We'll see how they feed up from the community response and either abandon, rewrite the whole thing or leave it as it is.
The big difference with this Steam crap is that you now have shiploads of kids whining about what is all wrong. It's entertaining for some minutes, just as this thread is but eehh.. Yeah.. Serious racing can still only be found on Iracing I'm afraid.

Or here, when you tune in on the right time of the day (/your morning or night)
It's hilarious, the minute i opened the server browser i saw: "CRUISING".
Alright, goodbye.
Im going to be putting my server up tonight for a couple hours.. Anyone got ideas for cars they wanna use? Otherwise it will just be random.
Quote from R3DMAN :Im going to be putting my server up tonight for a couple hours.. Anyone got ideas for cars they wanna use? Otherwise it will just be random.

ktm@NS p4/5@NS e30(std)@NS 2/11@NS
The ones you had on Saturday were quite good I thought. Slightly longer races than 4 laps though. Just use standard tracks at the moment please.
Oki. Will chuck some of them on.

I know the gtc lotus, both gt3's and the p4/5 make for an excellent field.

Edit: tristan, i only use official tracks, what do you think a decent number would be? 6laps? Bearing in mind id like to try get a race every hour at least from booking to booking. Keeps people interested that way. Thats one reason i had only 3/4 laps before, so a session took approx 30 mins.
In ACSGT we usually run longer races, and we're a mature crowd. Currently moving to a new website so there's only the 40's club thread at AC forum to organize stuff right now. We had a great race in the GrpA E30, 15 laps at Mugello. The short races and constant restarting was and is my major gripe with LFS MP, so a little longer races is a welcome sight.

I'm trying to keep a server up from later tonight, theserver name will contain ACSGT and the pass will be "the40s" for my server (the one in Norway).
Quote from R3DMAN :Oki. Will chuck some of them on.

I know the gtc lotus, both gt3's and the p4/5 make for an excellent field.

Ohh I will try and join tonight..About what time?

Fordie

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG