The online racing simulator
I cant see how this could fix the lag.
Quote from hannu :im not sure if this has been notised already but is the start lag increased since test patches? or is it just me. And if it is caused by test patches then could it be fixed in future. i find it irritating when you have no time to react if the guy infront of you desides not to move when lights go green.

Yes, I had noticed the same thing in U19 (haven't try any earlier U test patches) When green light comes on, the car in front don't move and I always drive to side because I think that the driver in front is afk. Then (LAG x.x) shows and a while later this car is moving ahead.
I have been noticing start lag too lately, hadn't twigged that it 'might' be test patches though...
Quote from BurnOut69 :I cant see how this could fix the lag.

The lag doesn't happen if the cars all go of their own accord. It only seems to happen when the start lights go out.

Try this: Start a race with 6+ people. Tell everyone NOT to go on the green light, but to wait for a chat message instead. When you send the chat message and everyone goes, there's no lag. It apparently has something to do with everyone being "allowed" to go at once.
I just read the thing about the start-lag and something came to my mind: Sometimes, one person on a server is afk, several people join, the start the race, and because the person wasn't pitting, he/she is in the starting grid, maybe ruining the start of other people and/or the rest of the race, because he/she stands anywhere near the start on the track.
So my recommedation would be, that people, who hadn't touched their controls for x seconds wouldn't be included in the starting grid.
I don't now if this post would be better in the Improvment-Suggestions-Fourm, but it just came to my mind reading the posts.
Quote from herki :I just read the thing about the start-lag and something came to my mind: Sometimes, one person on a server is afk, several people join, the start the race, and because the person wasn't pitting, he/she is in the starting grid, maybe ruining the start of other people and/or the rest of the race, because he/she stands anywhere near the start on the track.
So my recommedation would be, that people, who hadn't touched their controls for x seconds wouldn't be included in the starting grid.
I don't now if this post would be better in the Improvment-Suggestions-Fourm, but it just came to my mind reading the posts.

Or, before the lights turn green, the driver has to confirm by a keypress or smth, that he really is on the starting grid (press one of the pedals for example or turn the wheel slightly).
Quote from Cue-Ball :The lag doesn't happen if the cars all go of their own accord. It only seems to happen when the start lights go out.

Try this: Start a race with 6+ people. Tell everyone NOT to go on the green light, but to wait for a chat message instead. When you send the chat message and everyone goes, there's no lag. It apparently has something to do with everyone being "allowed" to go at once.

Hmmm then my money goes on that its not latency what its causing the delay at starts. I mean, what causes lag is having so many cars so close to each other, all of them starting to moving at the same time, and most probably not in straight line and at different speeds. The host trying to sync all this madness is overwhelmed and this causes start-lag.

Not having it going at a chat message instead of green makes me think its not connection related, but somehow I doubt its fault of the test patches.
Quote from BurnOut69 :Hmmm then my money goes on that its not latency what its causing the delay at starts. I mean, what causes lag is having so many cars so close to each other, all of them starting to moving at the same time, and most probably not in straight line and at different speeds. The host trying to sync all this madness is overwhelmed and this causes start-lag.

Not having it going at a chat message instead of green makes me think its not connection related, but somehow I doubt its fault of the test patches.

maybe that problem will solve itself when cars arent "locked" in position untill the green light is on. Once theres the ability to make false starts there wont be that "synch burp" when all cars is released.
Invisible Car Bug
Scawen, i think i found the way to reproduce this bug, please read my comments on this bug report -> http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=185362#post185362

it seems to happen when the server is under "some stress", to test it:
- join to the AutoX Compo Test Server (seem to be the most affected server -> see InSim considerations in the liked post)
- let other 15 or 20 be in the server (the more people, the more frequent)
- spectate/join/away commands will trigger this bug after a while
- verify yourself ISP has nothing to do with it

hope it helps, cheers!
Quote from Sp3cTr3 :maybe that problem will solve itself when cars arent "locked" in position untill the green light is on. Once theres the ability to make false starts there wont be that "synch burp" when all cars is released.

well, thats curing the symptoms, not the "disease"... Why would you want that?
Quote from PLAYLIFE :Why would you want that?

1. It's a much wanted feature anyway.
2. The only symptom of "start lag" is... well start lag. If you cure that, there is no more... start lag.
wonder if there be test patch 20
@Faster:
That's Scawen's business. You can rest assured that he's working on improvements, but how and in which way he releases his work is his matter as he is the one who knows what he has on the sheet. Just rest assured that improvements are coming.
Also, please keep this thread free from request and chatting. If you need to reply to this try doing it in a different thread or via a personal message.

About the testpatches:
- The first post doesn't state the availability of a /wait or /sleep command. Is there something like that or is such a command hazardeous to the scriptengine (e.g. because it's single-threaded)?
- Is there a script that gets executed upon each race start? I wasn't able to find anything like that.
- Will you create a script-documentation in the LFS programmer-forum after the final compatible patch was released?
- Is the script-engine likely to see improvements during the current phase of improvement? It is currently very hard to bind commands to a button on the controller (You have to bind the controller button to CTRL+F8 and then make CTRL+F8 say the command). That makes it practically impossible to just copy a script over and run it, as two scripts immediately become incompatible when they use the same CTRL+F-combination for command-calls or script-calls.

Vain
The new track selection is brilliant!
Quote from RAYfighter :.. all noobs hurry to follow with 10 lines of !top plus your newbie questions as well.

Which, in my opinion, is a whole lot better then alot of people not knowing which commands are available.
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :That is why we have welcome messages and !help command . If users only see others typing !this , they usually don't see results, so it doesn't help them much anyway..

And when they can't see people typing !help either, a lot of users still won't understand.

There's no point in having public commands and extras available if the majority of people can't use them, both of you are basically pointing out that alot of people notice new stuff by seeing others use it, which is a good thing, in my opinion.
Too many offtopic posts already, moving this to PM communication.
I am having a problem; I execute LFS and the windows error box pops up saying: "could not initialise graphics".

Crap.

*EDIT* Works fine now.
autoX has no minimap => sux illepall

everything else is quite an improvment!
Quote from jayhawk :I am having a problem; I execute LFS and the windows error box pops up saying: "could not initialise graphics".

Crap.

*EDIT* Works fine now.

I don't know what that error means, but it's fixed when you restart your computer
3 more chars for 3g_ob_marsh
Scawen, can you please add three more characters to the string 3g_ob_marsh ? I just noticed that it's not long enough for the word Streckenposten.

Edit: Another request: There are reports in the german forum of start lags since the addition of the script system. I think this could be caused by harddisk access when LFS searches for the script files. Would it be possible to add a switch to enable/disable the system so we can test if this is the cause for the lags?
I noticed in U19 (I don't think it was in U18) that the 'result table' wasnt showing up after the race or when a time has been set in Qualification.
I search about this, but never found anything similar. So is this a bug or did I accidentally changed a setting?
U19:

U

screenshot was taking offline, but the same happens online.

cya
Quote from FireFox86 :So is this a bug or did I accidentally changed a setting?a

Ctrl-Tab ?
Quote from filur :Ctrl-Tab ?

ah crap
although i havent seen the "CTRL+TAB-Hide results" message!
Quote from GP4Flo :Edit: Another request: There are reports in the german forum of start lags since the addition of the script system. I think this could be caused by harddisk access when LFS searches for the script files. Would it be possible to add a switch to enable/disable the system so we can test if this is the cause for the lags?

Start lag can't really be anything do with scripts. There are no scripts run when the light goes green. You could try putting an echo command into all the script files and I am sure you will see that the running of a script does not coincide in any way with start line lag (which has always been bad).
Must admit, I've found the start lags worse recently, I'm also using the test patch.

-----
In fact, I've just made a second LFS install using patch "U" to check if it's in my head or not. It isn't.

Here's an example, try watching it from onboard with patch U and then with patch U19.
Attached files
rallyxgreen.mpr - 819.7 KB - 310 views
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG