The online racing simulator
iRacing - chapter III
(1141 posts, started )
Quote from sil3ntwar :They have set start times? You think they could stagger them a bit. $12 isn't a lot of money so I guess I should try it.

Not happy about paying for tracks and cars though!

Yea, start times are usually 1 or 2 hours apart from what I recall. It does suck a bit to wait, but you end up with people at your performance level, so the racing is usually good.

Also, if you're a lucky bastard, you may be able to run 2 series at the same time. Like, maybe Radical RS8s run at 1 and 3 pm, but IndyCars run at 2 and 4 pm. Races are almost always under an hour, so you can run both if you have the endurance.

And, ugh, don't remind me about cars and tracks. The nice thing about buying cars is that they are raced for a whole season, but seemingly always on tracks that you don't own. Meanwhile, the tracks you buy seem to always be raced in a season for a car you don't own. The double ****over is the fact that almost any track you buy now will probably be off 90% of the schedules in a year because of the new tracks that have been introduced.
Quote from Rappa Z :
But seemingly always on tracks that you don't own. Meanwhile, the tracks you buy seem to always be raced in a season for a car you don't own. The double ****over is the fact that almost any track you buy now will probably be off 90% of the schedules in a year because of the new tracks that have been introduced.

I only bought 13 tracks or so recently, which is just enough for a whole season (current season), and as the new Season 2 schedule got released, I got to say that PMD plus my subjective touch has a pretty good estimination of buying tracks. Running through the all of the series I'm interested in, I'm only missing 1-2 tracks and in any potential interested series I'm only missing 4 at max, which means I could probably run a full season in any given series that bothers my mind. I already bought COTA in my mind, which would reduce the 1-2 to 1 and 4 to only 3, as it gets featured in every single series, nearly. It's more about which tracks you get. I seem to have chosen perfectly. It's not forbidden to check all of the schedules when you decide to buy a track.
Just finished first race. Started 2nd on grid. Got into the lead within the first few corners. Made a mistake half way through and dropped to second. Got into first when the guy in front disappeared and then was suddenly in my mirrors. Held a 1 second advantage until the last lap when he divebombs me and nudges me out of the way. Last corner and I nudge his rear end and we both spin. I actually thought there was heaps of room...turns out there wasnt. I cross the line first and he has a cry and goes on about protests and blah blah blah. 10 laps in a slow car is fkn boring. Don't think I will continue past three months. Will probably get banned well before then anyway.
Here is a video of last half lap (no sound)
http://youtu.be/cQfzov-eyI8

Looks like I need to get used to the mirrors and how much car is in front of me. In my mirrors he looked much further back then he was and when he was in front I thought there was a lot more room than there was!
#630 - CSF
Quote from PMD9409 :You should pay the dollar just to laugh at the idiocy that exists in the forum over there. Its astonishing at times.

Oooooooooh thats so tempting.
Just got the 1 dollar offer, but for 3 months, I dont know if I should take it...
I bought the game for 1 month...I think it was 12 dollars, right? I sadly regret it. The MX5 handled like a bloody Reliant Robin, although it didn't exactly barrel roll for most of it's experience...more like had the will to spin in every single turn or suddenly have no grip in the front tires. It also had something magical about it...I mean, I was racing the other day when some guy on a straight away decided to just..ram me! Perhaps the MX5 truly has something unique about it!..
Quote from MousemanLV :I bought the game for 1 month...I think it was 12 dollars, right? I sadly regret it. The MX5 handled like a bloody Reliant Robin, although it didn't exactly barrel roll for most of it's experience...more like had the will to spin in every single turn or suddenly have no grip in the front tires. It also had something magical about it...I mean, I was racing the other day when some guy on a straight away decided to just..ram me! Perhaps the MX5 truly has something unique about it!..

Too bad iR scaring off so much people with this poor rookie content.

I don't really like the MX5 either, it's just spinning without reasons aswell as the Formula Mazda in C Class.
Apart from the races in rookie class & the safety rating iRacing making new customers ragequit and stop touching this sim because of this.

Had this experience exactly in the same way as you mate, but kinda could continue racing and reach higher classes where racing is really fun, especially with the better cars in their virtual garage.
Believe it or not, even though it drives really stupid, the MX-5 is surprisingly the one closest to the real life one, all the RL MX-5 drivers say it's very close to RL, but yeah it's not for everyone, needs a bit of wheeling.

Quote :Christian Szymczak IRL MX5 racer:
Thanks very much for checking out the video guys! I think that the iRacing version is pretty close. There are definitely differences in some of the behaviors but in RL we are also dealing with a track surface getting hot from the sun, tires wearing out because of doing so many laps, and setups that may not be drive-able in the sim In the fast stuff, there was no such thing as understeer on those days! Too much steering input would result in oversteer every time if you were on the limit! The car was on a total knife edge in the fast esses and turn 10 in particular was a little scary I must admit.

Quote :Elliott Skeer IRL MX5 racer:
OMG whatever you (and Eric) did, it is on another level.
Ive been doing a lot of laps at Sebring prepping for Rd1 and when I got in for the first time with the new build, I felt in the car. I would just go through corners yelling "Yes!", it just felt so right and was reacting to everything just as I would expect the real car to. The magic wand has been waved over the MX5, and I love it!
Now just do that with every other car and nothing will touch iR.

The MX-5 drives like shit in iRacing. Does that mean the actual MX-5 also drives like shit? Because I've heard it's a fun car to drive in real life.
Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :all the RL MX-5 drivers say it's very close to RL

Not sure if you could count two people as ''all mx-5 drivers''... In that case and from now on, MX5 is not fun to drive due to my experience in which I had the car pretty much sliding around like a donkey!
Yes ofcourse not, that was just a few examples I remember out of my head since this has been up before. I agree that it's stupid to drive, barely touched it myself since rookie days.

Bose you'd have more fun IRL with a MX-5 that drives like a turd, compared to sitting behind a screen at home, but appereantly it's not far from what it's like according to a teammate who has one IRL, so I guess it's just a matter of taste.
Just start racing the Spec Ford, really fun car and very competitive grid for rookie class.
The current MX5 handles quite well to be honest. Much better than the previous tyre models. Still some low speed corner exit issues where it wants to skid, but on the relatively fast corners it's pretty predictable.
Long time ago I drove with the MX5 last time, but I'm surprised about those reallife opinions there Teemu. Nevertheless I just can't handle that car, perfectly...
Does the SRF spinned that way, too? I tested it I guess a year ago and it was kinda undriveable for me back then.

But there's something I recognized in iRacing at my driving-style, it's the braking while doing slight turns, then braking abit harder in the middle of the turn which makes the car always oversteer and spin finally, in most of the iR cars. Happends often to me driving fast turns where slight braking is required.
Happend last time in the RUF Track at Turn 2-3 at Philips Island, I really had to slow down pretty much for avoiding spinning which caused people wrecking my rear in the mid of the corner because going so slow. What I'm doing wrong?
So I'm not the only one that can't drive the Formula Mazda... I thought it was me.
Quote from FireMike15 :Long time ago I drove with the MX5 last time, but I'm surprised about those reallife opinions there Teemu. Nevertheless I just can't handle that car, perfectly...
Does the SRF spinned that way, too? I tested it I guess a year ago and it was kinda undriveable for me back then.

But there's something I recognized in iRacing at my driving-style, it's the braking while doing slight turns, then braking abit harder in the middle of the turn which makes the car always oversteer and spin finally, in most of the iR cars. Happends often to me driving fast turns where slight braking is required.
Happend last time in the RUF Track at Turn 2-3 at Philips Island, I really had to slow down pretty much for avoiding spinning which caused people wrecking my rear in the mid of the corner because going so slow. What I'm doing wrong?

It has its moments but nothing like the MX5, I found it alot more stable. And my way to counter what you described is to throttle blip or hold it slightly.

Not sure if it's the right thing to do but it helps for me. Bit like the XRR I guess.
Quote from fwanky :It has its moments but nothing like the MX5, I found it alot more stable. And my way to counter what you described is to throttle blip or hold it slightly.

Not sure if it's the right thing to do but it helps for me. Bit like the XRR I guess.

Yes, it's due to the way the diff is in some of the cars in iRacing. Open diff = lift off oversteer, on power understeer. The fastest way in those cars is to control the oversteer with how much throttle you use under braking. I wouldn't really compare it to XRR, it's much more like if you drive a UF1 as that has an open diff.
Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :Believe it or not, even though it drives really stupid, the MX-5 is surprisingly the one closest to the real life one, all the RL MX-5 drivers say it's very close to RL, but yeah it's not for everyone, needs a bit of wheeling.

Jan/May of 2013. Let us remind ourselves how much the cars and the physics change each season.
Quote from IsaacPrice :Yes, it's due to the way the diff is in some of the cars in iRacing. Open diff = lift off oversteer, on power understeer. The fastest way in those cars is to control the oversteer with how much throttle you use under braking. I wouldn't really compare it to XRR, it's much more like if you drive a UF1 as that has an open diff.

Yes, it's exactly feels like driving the UF1. So just basically to avoid the lift-off oversteer / power-understeer by giving slight throttle while braking?

Correct me if I'm totally wrong.
Ah ok, I see!
Thanks for your help, guys.
Dammit I am actually enjoying this game.

Just had 3rd race. Won by 5 seconds even with a corner cut penalty. New best time of 1:53.334 in the mx5 around Okayama.

If you are having trouble with the MX5 then I would say you are over driving it. Minimal input at high speed to get the car turned into apex and then just carefully balance it through the turns.

iRacing - chapter III
(1141 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG