The online racing simulator
Lx8
(479 posts, started )
I think the LX8 totally works without the wings. It just needs slicks!
For making the video, I drove it with the current 0.6E physics. And it is totally driveable, but challenging. Perfect fun.
Quote from Kid222 :Only possibility for LX8.

Hardtop and spoiler = could solve the problem below
Normal road tyres = loss of grip mid-corner

Does that Caterham have a 3.0l V8 like the original LX8 (seen from pictures of it)?
here is an article about the rst caterham v8: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreview ... views/49734/caterham.html
this car has no "real v8" but a v8 made of two bike engines.

here is a video of a caterham v8 in motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNDGx8NNP4

does not look to be uncontrollable, but has a tendency to power oversteer...
which is no surprise considering the power to weight ratio...

and as an addition to my open letter from above - the wish for something new to drive is just a hint at the developers that they already have some nearly finished things in the drawer that they might give to us while we are waiting for a really big update.
those cars were nice to play with for a while, but the thing needed the most is something "new" to drive on, like that nearly completed "industrial area" in south city.
but i´m afraid to ask for new tracks, because if the new tire physics are done, then maybe scavier notices that the tires are in contact with the road surface and that surface must be also simulated physically correct to reflect the connection between the tire and the road...
so what about road physics? what about different kinds of tarmac? what about gravel? what about dirt and rubber buildup? and finally, how does that all change if the track gets wet?

so the new tire physics alone will be a big step forward to a realistic feeling of the tires, but then we need the road physics updated as well... and the chassis flex, and more aerodynamics that change if parts of the car get damaged or fall off... so there is a lot to do to get to that goal, but let´s not forget the fun on the way there!

so again scavier: how do you think to get to that goal? and why is it soooo hard for you to accept any help that is offered? if it is just because of your proprietary tools and the structure of the lfs engine that makes it hard for others to contribute to your program? why not let the people do at least a little bit of modding, coupled with really tight (forum) preselection?
so the people can make cars and tracks and then submit them to a special part of the forum where a really strong preselection is done (maybe coupled with a voting from the community) and then the top track and the top voted car only will be passed on to be reviewed by the devs. this will take way less of your time than to develop a car or a track yourself while maintaining the high quality standard of lfs.
depending on the abilities of the community we could get one new car or one new track once a month, but we would also be glad to do this only once as a "forum special edition" to finally get something new to play with.

peace, mo
here is another video of a caterham with a real v8 (driving starts around 1:40): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_fsjeJViSo

again only slight power oversteer, with no wings and only semislicks...

there are a whole lot of caterham / lotus super 7 out there with engines way over 250 hp, some even go over 500 hp with a car weight of under 600 kg!

and there are real people in the real world driving those things, so who can be harmed if we try to tame that beast inside our most loved simulation?

and cars of that type do exist in other game platforms, so even with the current physics of lfs those should have the best feeling and thus be best controllable in lfs as it is as opposed to all the other game platforms! and all this with the option to get even better in the future!

and one more suggestion at the end: why not just mirror all the lfs tracks to expand the driveable configurations? even if this is highly unrealistic (but then again - what is reality on a fictional track?) it offers the fastest way to some "new feeling" corners, as it does not need any new track or textures at all. just like the "open track" configurations, that should be an easy one to do.

@scavier: do you see how hard i try to pave ways for you to finally give something to the community without having to spend to much time on it?

or do you want some new competition on the sim market? then maybe i have to look elsewhere for some developers who really want to fullfill your dream and build the ultimative modular virtual racing platform? and by that i do not mean to find some shiny graphics and lots of new content - no, the first and foremost goal then would be to beat the lfs engine physics capabilites and get the graphics engine to display the track as smooth as lfs does.

you see? many of the groundbraking new developments in any area came from people who were not longer satisfied by how the status quo was or how things progressed, so they decided to try it on their own. (does that sound familiar to you scavier?) so it would be really sad if lfs development comes to a state when this will happen as the devs should know better, because they went down that exact same road in the past.

but as i still have a lot of faith in scavier to finally get their act together and progress in lfs development i won´t do that! in fact i would hate this to happen, because then ten years of lfs development would be wasted!

and now i will go out and do some real racing with a real car on a real racetrack, because there is such a lovely weather here in germany today that you just can´t justify to play a stalled game in a dark room...

peace, mo

Lx8
(479 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG