The online racing simulator
Quote from Hyperactive :Mardenborough is born in 1991 while reip is born in 1987 and ordonez in 1985. Redbulls wants them young. Even Mardenborough is already 23 so he has a lot more time left than 27 year old reip or 29 year old ordonez. F1 teams won't get ordonez no matter how good he is if he is now 29, after a season of gp3 will be 30. Even if goes to do a season of gp2 he will be 31 at earliest when he can get into F1.

Lets be honest, he won't make it to F1. It's just typical Red Bull, sponsor anyone.
Quote from BlueFlame :Lets be honest, he won't make it to F1. It's just typical Red Bull, sponsor anyone.

...but this topic is about the 2014 F1 season?

I expected to look at this thread and find out about the current testing?
I heard that Vettel had a fire yesterday with little running...today has (apparently) been better...but they must be a long step behind at this point?
Quote from Anthoop :...but this topic is about the 2014 F1 season?

Well I didn't post it. I just have an opinion on it.
So magnussen just set a time 2.6 secs off last years pole time at Bahrian(and only 1.2 secs down what Button did in qualifying at that race too).

Considering the downforce loss the engines in theory should be faster.

Lol @ everyone doubting the engines.
Both Hamilton and Button in the 34s today
They had warmer temps and harder tyres at last years race so it's not a like for like comparison.
Quote from Intrepid :They had warmer temps and harder tyres at last years race so it's not a like for like comparison.

All compounds are significantly harder then last years equilivents.
FIA really under estimated the power of whats possible from the turbo engines combined with ERS, considering the extra weight they are definetly pulling more power then with the V8s, 800-850hp is around whats happening now.
That's so FIA, giving out rule set and having no clue what can happen.
More power is no bad thing. We don't really know what the fuel consumption restrictions will do though.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :We don't really know what the fuel consumption restrictions will do though.

Make the racing shit. That's a given.
Quote from BlueFlame :Make the racing shit. That's a given.

So true. At other times in the past when there have been fuel restrictions the racing has always been shit. That's a given.

edit: The above is an attempt at sarcasm.
Quote from Mustafur :All compounds are significantly harder then last years equilivents.

But weather, time of day, and we don't know the exact specifications of the tyre. It's not as simple as soft vs hard.

Also, In 2013, despite more development and showing their full hand Barcelona test times in March were faster than the qualifying times set during the GP weekend.

Add in the restricted fuel rate the cars are still going to be pretty slow. Especially compared to 2004.
Quote from amp88 :So true. At other times in the past when there have been fuel restrictions the racing has always been shit. That's a given.

it's always been part of endurance racing, and IMO it makes racing more thrilling. More tactical thinking and variation on track, not just in the pits.
Quote from ACCAkut :it's always been part of endurance racing, and IMO it makes racing more thrilling. More tactical thinking and variation on track, not just in the pits.

Yea, well since when was F1 endurance racing?

EDIT : and also with no pitstops all this means is that at some point they will all be driving on fuel save.
Quote from ACCAkut :it's always been part of endurance racing, and IMO it makes racing more thrilling. More tactical thinking and variation on track, not just in the pits.

Oh, I was trying to be sarcastic in reply to BlueFlame's post. Sorry for not being obvious enough.

When there were fuel limits in the last turbo era in F1 it didn't really do much to dampen the racing, so I think BlueFlame's assertion that fuel restrictions will "make the racing shit. That's a given" is totally ridiculous.
I think 2014 F1 is going to be awesome in every way - retirements, mistakes, managing tyres and fuel rather than girly sprint racing, crazy KERS leading to strategic passing/defending, and a far better noise than the daft screams of recent years.
Quote from amp88 :Oh, I was trying to be sarcastic in reply to BlueFlame's post. Sorry for not being obvious enough.

You were definitely not obvious enough....for a moment I thought you had lost "it".
I think this will be a very entertaining season.
Quote from Anthoop :You were definitely not obvious enough....for a moment I thought you had lost "it".
I think this will be a very entertaining season.

+1 @ both.
Some teams won't have to bother with fuel, because they won't finish 10 laps.
Quote from tristancliffe :I think 2014 F1 is going to be awesome in every way - retirements, mistakes, managing tyres and fuel rather than girly sprint racing, crazy KERS leading to strategic passing/defending, and a far better noise than the daft screams of recent years.

As oppose to manly endurance racing ? By the way KERS is no more. I don't even think they have the boost button. The ERS is integrated into the power management.
do they have a turbo boost adjustment like in the old days?
Quote from Shotglass :do they have a turbo boost adjustment like in the old days?

I think its fixed boost.
Quote from Intrepid :But weather, time of day, and we don't know the exact specifications of the tyre. It's not as simple as soft vs hard.

Also, In 2013, despite more development and showing their full hand Barcelona test times in March were faster than the qualifying times set during the GP weekend.

Add in the restricted fuel rate the cars are still going to be pretty slow. Especially compared to 2004.

Temperature makes a big part, however everything your saying sounds like someone who is trying to hate everything about these cars.

It's been a damn while since F1 has been given a new set of regs where engine competition is now back on the agenda.

not to mention they are all at early development and the engines are already pulling much more HP then expected, Alonso hit nearly 340km/h at Bahrian which is around 20km/h higher then what they did maximum last year there.

of course it depends what setup they are using but its not like they where just doing a straight line test and that speed difference is quite huge.
Quote from Intrepid :As oppose to manly endurance racing ? By the way KERS is no more. I don't even think they have the boost button. The ERS is integrated into the power management.

No, just back to the good old days of drivers having to look after cars, rather than 100 minutes of qualifying laps. And not just because of tyres.

KERS for 2014 is up to 161hp for up to 33 seconds per lap. It will still be deployed in attack and defense, but stands a chance of fending off a DRS-only pass.
This thread is closed

Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG