The online racing simulator
GT World Series 2014: Round 5 Race Discussion

Round 5 of the 2014 GT World Series, the 24 Hours of Kyoto National Reversed.

Race Date: 8-9 February 2014, 16:00 UTC
Official Circuit Diagram
Spotter's Guide, courtesy of Stuart "Bean0" Baker (Should be ready by race day)

Tribute to Tomek "IMOL" Nogieć

To honour our old friend who tragically lost his life mere hours after leading Nitor Velox to a 3rd place, we'll do a few gestures during the race.

The skins rules have been modified to allow the following:

-Nitor Velox shall be permitted to run any skin they so desire, and shall only have to run the numberboard and none of the class identity markings.
-All teams may exercise the option to replace the newdimensionracing.com class coloured sunstrip with a solid black sunstrip without penalty.
-All teams may exercise the option to replace their team name / team tag on the numberplate with the text "RIP IMOL" without penalty.

We will perform a tribute lap prior to the race proper. On green light, each class will be dispatched close together. They shall remain in double-file formation, leaving P1 open for a "missing man" formation. All cars shall maintain a speed of 90 kph / 50 mph, with their headlights illuminated. Once completing the lap, all cars will stop on start / finish, using all the track width to align side-by-side, where we will do a few moments of noise, then a moment of silence, before /restart to start the race.

Car 30 Nitor Velox will be allowed a representative to pace the GT1 class if they choose to send one.

Please use the indicated sectors of track when you are filing protests, or other reports to officials. The administration will use those sector names to indicate incident conditions.

Wind Forecast
I'll again be using Weather Underground's forecast page for Kyoto, Japan this time.

Test Race
A Test Race will be provided on Thursday, 6 February 2014 at 19:00 for the benefit of teams who wish to have assured multiple car practice.

Discuss!
Without trying to be disrespectful(anyone who has seen my facebook or my sig will know that i wouldnt do that) but not sure that the extra formation lap is a good idea. A minutes silence would be sufficient(and involve drivers who are in ts but not doing the start) and the extra pace lap on speed limiter other than the fact everyones tyres will get cold, seems a bit "for show" rather than sincere respect, especially when youre adding it to the "imol themed skins and number plates" race. It would be better to pay our respects before the race, then let the racing get underway without mixing the 2 imo. But if the guys over at nv want this and think this is the best way ill happily go along with it.
If you are going to do a formation lap then doing it before the official start of the race will be a better idea, so people wont have cold tyres etc.
I will consider doing the one tribute lap separate of the real race, but that would require an earlier arrival time for everyone. The initial thought of doing them continuous without a restart was to save a few moments and not have to move up the arrival time.

I can also increase the safety car pace for the first two sectors of the pace lap so that you can have more momentum for tyre scrubbing for heat.

I did discuss this procedure with Mr. Lind shortly after the news of the death, and he did not express any disagreement with the idea. I will check again with him.
Just use the lap as a lag lap, and /restart after the lap is done

Shouldn't require anything else then people being there on time and gridding starts as pr usual.

It takes about 3minutes(+-) to do the lap at 80kmph.
Quote from Dennis93 :Just use the lap as a lag lap, and /restart after the lap is done

Shouldn't require anything else then people being there on time and gridding starts as pr usual.

It takes about 3minutes(+-) to do the lap at 80kmph.

The start of the race proper will not be delayed. I will do the tribute lap as a laglap plus a little bit (the /restart will be masked by a graphic on the screen, as it looks incredibly naff). I'll move up the server arrival deadline to 15:45 UTC instead of the 15:50 UTC it would otherwise be.
1) Don't forget, there is a test race Thursday at 19 UTC.

2) I'm very disappointed in the low attendance for this round, but expected it. It's a shame that what will in all likelihood end up being the last GT/GT1/GT2 World Series event period, will be more of a whimper than a bang. Unless something drastically changes in this community for the better, it will never again support long endurance races - it won't happen. Why am I this pessimistic? EVERY event/series in the last year has had declining participation numbers, and most significantly, declining QUALITY of participation. I'd have no problem with a 15-car grid of great racers, but I don't really foresee that happening unless something changes that re-ignites the community.

At this point, I do not plan on running another team-based endurance series with races longer than 6 hours in Live for Speed until something changes. It's not worth my effort, your effort, or any effort to do this series when the result is not a decent product.
I don't think its pessimistic, it's realistic. Everyone I have spoke to has that same feeling from this race, with AC potentially around the corner, LFS wouldn't really stand a chance. But who knows how it will really end up, only time will tell.

However you can't blame anyone for struggling to put a team out this race, a 24hour race requires atleast 4 drivers really, all the other races this season were manageable with 2. In reality it's more of a miracle that this season hasn't been more of a failure in terms of number of cars on the grid, single driver leagues have been struggling to get over 20 cars, and in a league where you need atleast 2 drivers per car, the grids have been fairly full all season, with some of the best drivers that have been around in LFS for the last 3 years competing in a fair few races.

If the 24hour race was in the middle of a school holiday, I think the potential hype for this race might have been greater - but generally it's just the way LFS is now. I'm just hoping that we enjoy the race, and if it ends up being the last 1 like a lot of people expect, that I can take it all in and enjoy it . Sometimes life can be shorter than you expect and it's better to try and enjoy this sort of thing
Format for today's test race:

19:00 UTC: 20 minute ALL CARS qualification
Followed by a 5-10 minute break + gridding
Race 1 hour, rolling start.
Sorry Kevin #56 for bumping you off in SC2 during the 4th hour, misjudgment of closing speed
yaaay #78
i wanna thank all gt1s for being fair and square while lapping so far, no divebombing / wiggling etc.
Congrats Conquest on the champ
Not mathematically, but probably done so if they don't fail catastrophically.
2 disconnection and one computer frozen, hopefully 2nd half will be more lucky...
The broadcast from race on simrace.tv is not working... For about more than a hour now...
Yes, I've just had someone arrive back from the sleepland who has free messaging on international numbers; I don't so I didn't send the provider's owner an SMS. we just did, hope something gets sorted soon. I can't remote connect to the broadcast PC, and to be honest there's not been anything worth streaming anyway since it went down.

It annoys me that it went out, I have no idea why. It just sucks, totally sucks.
Sorry to Mafia Racing.
Let's get this fight for the win get started
I'm (#62) really sorry to #29 Valtteri "Emyn" for that hit while he was overtaking me at S/F line. I was talking to Nojus and didn't notice that you were approaching. When you actually came close to me I got terrified by your sudden engine noise and I panicked a little so I didn't know where to go.
Very good job from the admins and from the racers.Was a good sprint, now pls 48h

I really cant hide my smile.I am so happy with our performance this season.This was our first appearance in GTWS and what a great one.I cant count the sleepless nights we build setups and many hours on the training track.Finally all came together.About this race this was also our first 24h race.With no big expectations we rolled up our sleeves and got to work.It was extremmly hard to keep 5th position from WCL and acex.I want to thank Dustin who helped us in the early stints and all drivers in FNC / Simsports who helped us finish so high in the standings
Just felt like should say some words that I didn't mention in the post race aftermath on the stream.

Appreciate the effort that goes into these races, almost nobody has the same passion and motivation that they used to, but the way that when there is something needed to help make the race happen, people always make themselves available even after so long, it's really good to see.

I had been looking forward to this race, but somehow the news about IMOL last month kinda took the excitement away. Even though the strength in depth of competition in LFS hasn't always been the best, rivals like him made it fun still, and helped me to be the driver I am now. There are others too obviously but yeah.

So I guess that I would like to "give" the win, or atleast my part of it to the guys who were closer to him than I was, because surely then you played a part in him being who he was and that helped make LFS fun for me for 4 years. I know that it's pretty corny, but I don't care. I felt like that I was practicing this week because he'd have wanted me to, so it seems somehow right. It's the time to move on now, but would have felt wrong to post without saying something.

As for the race, well it was great that what will probably be my last proper race in LFS went so good on a personal level. It should have been a lot more boring than it was at the end, but I guess that it was always meant to be like that...somehow that seems to always happen .

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. So thanks for the race and seeing as in some ways it seems like a bit of an end for more than just myself in the near future if there won't be other endurance series, and a few drivers moving on etc, hopefully everyone will enjoy what they choose to do in future and meet again in future on the track

If this post seems retarded/sissy then blame my lack of sleep. I'm sure I will man up soon
Quote from kochomoch :Very good job from the admins and from the racers.Was a good sprint, now pls 48h

I really cant hide my smile.I am so happy with our performance this season.This was our first appearance in GTWS and what a great one.I cant count the sleepless nights we build setups and many hours on the training track.Finally all came together.About this race this was also our first 24h race.With no big expectations we rolled up our sleeves and got to work.It was extremmly hard to keep 5th position from WCL and acex.I want to thank Dustin who helped us in the early stints and all drivers in FNC / Simsports who helped us finish so high in the standings

+1
Big thanks to Dustin who show great racing.Also thanks to Misho too, he help us in all 5 rounds for making a setups and driving like a machine

Thanks to all racers and to NDR admins.

GT World Series 2014: Round 5 Race Discussion
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG