The online racing simulator
New to LFS and Oculus Rift
(20 posts, started )
Hi to all,

i found this game on the oculus rift forum. I can only say awesome! It blew me away! I never had a better VR experience before. It feels like you are sitting in that fuxxx race car. It is hard to explain. This game is absolutely perfect for VR glasses.

Is this game still in development? I hope so! Is it possible to create mods for the game or add new cars and features for us developers?

Thanks
NoQuarter
#2 - Be2K
Hello and welcome to LFS

This Game is still in developement since 2003 and is still ongoing

Scawen promised a new Tire physic, the first real Track, and the VW Scirocco for LFS but this was early 2009

Dont hope for much activity in LFS. The golden age of lfs has passed away a long time ago.

Mods aren't allowed this includes Cars, Tracks and anything within the coding for LFS.

Only external Programms are allowed.

One good counsel - Enjoy what you got and dont ask for more
Quote from Be2K :...
Dont hope for much activity in LFS. The golden age of lfs has passed away a long time ago.

I would say that Scawen looks like motivated (again) recently. No-one knows what will be the result I agree . Let's hope for some improvements soon.

Welcome No_Quarter. Glad to see someone seduced by the graphics part of LFS , usually not the strength of it (even if I like it anyway)
Glad to hear you enjoy LFS. It's a real gem in terms of online racing. Welcome aboard!
The VR support was just added, although Scawens longer project aims to refine the tyre physics. We've played this game for 10 years and hope for another 10 to come. The glory days were probably around 2005-2009 (for me), but with some updates in the tube we hope for a strong comeback.
-
(easyed) DELETED by easyed : wrong NoQuarter me thinks :)
the statement about activity is based on one persons perception,its true that there may not be a big choice of servers when looking for s2/s1 servers but the servers that are used have plenty of racers on them and if you look at demo servers they are close to full a lot of the time
No_Quarter, you are not the first one that comes here saying the very same thing you said. So clearly LFS has great potential to impress people using the Oculus.
But I have a doubt: is LFS that much better and well done than other games, or are the other games the ones that are poorly adapted?
Hi Whiskey, thats easy to awnser:

Three things:
1. Less than 60fps you get motion sick when playing games with the oculus rift. Live For Speed has on my old computer about 80fps and i play in full hd with all detail maxed. The framerate is total konstant. So there is no lag turning your head back. That’s perfect! Normally I have about 20-48 FPS on other Oculus Rift games. The Framerate varies a lot so you feel dizzy.

2. In Live for speed the physics feel damn real. It is a big difference playing a fun car racer or a simulation with the rift. Your brain feels more comfortable on a simulation.

3. The current Oculus Rift has a low resolution. When playing a high end graphics game on the Oculus Rift all textures in the background are fuzzy. When playing LFS then all the graphics look good in the rift! Also the background and other cars. Turning on antialiasing blows the immersion to a new level!

It is hard to describe, but I can only say, you feel like you are sitting in that race car. I can play hours without getting motion sick.

More player reviews: https://developer.oculusvr.com ... 2&t=5335&start=80
@No_Quarter: That is a very inspiring (short) review of LFS + Oculus Rift.
I hope Scawens work will reach more people like you, introducing more sim racers to LFS!
Probably another factor is you are sitting in a seat, simulating sitting in a seat, instead of sitting in a seat, simulating walking, running and jumping around.
Thank you very much for the explanation. I've read the thread, and see that many others also pointed out that the key factor is the FPS. So... this could probably be a factor when I upgrade my PC, as I'm pretty sure that eventually I'll have an Oculus (not the devkit).
Yes you need a good pc for the occulus rift. The FPS is mostly 30% lower with Rift Support. If the framerate gets lower under 30fps i get motion sick.

My mini Pc:
Athlon X2 6000
AMD Radeon 7750
4GB DDR2 Memory

This configuration is ok with the rift. All my games run smooth on the rift. The dev kit is worth buying for 300$. You will have a lot of fun.

I think it will be the next generation of gaming and will help LFS to come up again
I know the dev kit is ok-ish, but I can wait to buy it (plus I would need a whole new computer :schwitz until the 1080 version. Crystal cove looks like it's gonna be 10x bettet than the already awesome OR.

Once I make my final decision on when to buy it all, I'll look much closer at the actual needed specs.
Hi all,

No_Quarter has sayed almost everything about the rift yet. Anyway here is my opinion in two words what lfs feels with the Rift:

FU%#*&$ AWESOME!

Ok now calm down myself
Really, for every sim racer the consumer version of the Rift is a MUST BUY. No joke.
Forget all your 3 monitor setups or projector setups (like me i used to play in front of a 2.5m projector screen)

It´s nothing in compare with the Rift. I even can´t imagine to play old school wise with with monitor/projector again. The rift spoiled almost all classical games for me
Yesterday for example I drove 7 hours just because it´s so much fun and feels so real (only miss some G-Forces). And this is still the devkit which can make you sick in the beginning, has a low resolution, an ugly screendoor effect and some kind of motion blur.

I´m more than happy to have a devkit, but my advice for all sim racers is to save your money and grab the Rift consumer model as soon it comes out.
can you get > 100fps? instant buy if so.
Quote from CarlLefrancois :can you get > 100fps? instant buy if so.

Yes almost, when there is nobody on the track I have some constant 100fps with a resolutution of 1920x1200
(1920x1200 is only for downsampling reasons, the rift devkit itself has a resolution of 1280x800)

My rig is also quite old -> Intel Core 2 Duo + Geforce 9800 GT
I still think something is limiting my max fps to 100. Don´t know what it is, lfs or the graphics card
Quote from just2fast :I still think something is limiting my max fps to 100. Don´t know what it is, lfs or the graphics card

that is in LFS. You can change it in your settings
weird i thought the rift was built using standard lcd panels. almost the entire industry uses 60fps hardware at least for desktop monitors but i guess smartphone/tablet tech is better? does anyone know if the rift itself can do say 144 hz?
Quote from CarlLefrancois :weird i thought the rift was built using standard lcd panels. almost the entire industry uses 60fps hardware at least for desktop monitors but i guess smartphone/tablet tech is better? does anyone know if the rift itself can do say 144 hz?

No, the devkit´s panel is limited to 60Hz or something. What the consumer version on the other hand will be able to do is still unknown.
As I doubt that my laptop would manage 1080p and 60 fps for the consumer version would it than be more sensible for me to buy the dev kit for playing LFS?
No. Nothing stops you from using a lower resolution on the consumer Rift if you must and with that the screen door effect wouldn't be as horrible. I'd rather turn down the graphics in order to get 1080p 60 FPS than use a lower resolution with VR. Having owned the devkit, 800p is NOT a way to go unless you want blurryvision and no idea where the braking zones are.

The devkit also doesn't have 6 DOF which the consumer model will most likely have.

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG