The online racing simulator
Quote from thatguy :I have to wonder what makes the project take such a long time to complete. rFactor and LFS have had driver swaps way before iRacing was even around.

There is a difference between being built from the ground up with driver swaps to trying to retrofit it into what seems like a very difficult engine. To be honest I can't believe they are carrying on with it considering the amount of work it's taking, it's another one of those features that everybody cries for and then it hardly ever gets used. It's going to be practically impossible to include it in official racing, so it's pretty much going to be the odd endurance league event.

Re: the new build, the V5 cars drive very well indeed, I'm very impressed especially with the C6R and the Radical SR8. The RUF gearbox is garbage but it's the same as the Macca so I guess I'll be putting up with it. I have to say that right now iRacing is #1 in my head ahead of AC, the tyres feel very good now, the engine is still getting me 124fps locked on triple screens with everything turned on, silky smooth and sharp looking, whereas AC runs like a dog with all the settings turned off and looks worse for it. The only time I've noticed it dipping below 120fps was at the start of the 2.4, on an admittedly graphically intensive night track with 40+ cars all around me, and even then it was back up to 120+ after T1. If I'm on track myself and spin the tyres up in AC too much and make a bit of smoke it drops way way down and starts looking like a slideshow.
It's going to be practically impossible to include it in official racing
na, add a signup as team function or s/t
Quote from Mustangman759 :It's going to be practically impossible to include it in official racing
na, add a signup as team function or s/t

I forgot they were doing the team stuff too, being able to officially join a team through the member-site then joining an endurance event as a team should work well actually, but again it's going to be limited to the few endurance races, 24 Daytona, Sebring, Spa, Silverstone, Petit, maybe even le Mans one day. I might need to find a team which will take me when it does get included though, can't imagine anything better than doing a virtual 24 hour race with a couple of other guys, as long as they don't crash it!
god. IndyCar SOF Q in 10 minutes and cant even get on the website...
Quote from DeKo :I forgot they were doing the team stuff too, being able to officially join a team through the member-site then joining an endurance event as a team should work well actually, but again it's going to be limited to the few endurance races, 24 Daytona, Sebring, Spa, Silverstone, Petit, maybe even le Mans one day. I might need to find a team which will take me when it does get included though, can't imagine anything better than doing a virtual 24 hour race with a couple of other guys, as long as they don't crash it!

The problem is how damage repair will be. They need to fix it so even if it takes 15-20 minutes to repair a wheel/suspension, at least it'll actually be repaired. LFS was popular because it was too easy to neglect the damage until it was severe. Severe damage in LFS is just minor in iRacing, so the damage repair system needs to be improved a bit before I see the whole endurance thing as functional.
I agree, even if it was something along the lines of 20 or 30 minutes for a new car just so it can be implemented easily. It's not too outrageous, unless the car has engine damage or is bent/twisted with chassis damage or the like, I reckon most of the Le Mans crews could pretty much spit out a new car in 30 minutes / 1 hour if they had all the bits lying around.

There I was praising iRacing too and the membersite has been down for at least the last hour and a half. I'm itching to do some driving, I reckon the next big project should be overhauling the piece of shit member-site and getting rid of all the bloat.
ffs
Quote from DeKo :The RUF gearbox is garbage but it's the same as the Macca so I guess I'll be putting up with it.

Both RUF Track and McLaren use fully automated sequential as it is used in GT3 series.
Quote from Porsche.com: 911 GT3R (type 997) :Morover, the transmission electronics, featuring an automatic throttle blip control, make it almost impossible to miss a gear and over-rev the engine.

Quote from muscimol :Both RUF Track and McLaren use fully automated sequential as it is used in GT3 series.

Yes I understand that, but if the real GT3 was constantly jumping from 4th gear into Neutral, they would pull it into the garage and find out what was going on. The Ruf does it constantly.
Quote from DeKo :Yes I understand that, but if the real GT3 was constantly jumping from 4th gear into Neutral, they would pull it into the garage and find out what was going on. The Ruf does it constantly.

I've got that problem with all cars when I downshift too fast.
Quote from DeKo :Yes I understand that, but if the real GT3 was constantly jumping from 4th gear into Neutral, they would pull it into the garage and find out what was going on. The Ruf does it constantly.

I've never experienced it in RUF nor McLaren. Maybe you're releasing the paddle to fast - after the gear disengages but before it engages next gear? There are definitely people who doesn't experience the problem so it's down to their inputs.
Quote from muscimol :I've never experienced it in RUF nor McLaren. Maybe you're releasing the paddle to fast - after the gear disengages but before it engages next gear? There are definitely people who doesn't experience the problem so it's down to their inputs.

There are a shit-load of people who all get the neutral problem too, mostly the fast guys, and I deliberately make myself wait before the next shift just to give it a chance. It is literally impossible for a fully automatic sequential to go into Neutral from 4th so clearly something is ****ed.
Quote from DeKo :It is literally impossible for a fully automatic sequential to go into Neutral from 4th so clearly something is ****ed.

You're right
Quote from Eric Hudec :It's a bug. Turns out we didn't have enough throttle blip with downshift attempts. The same problem could happen on the McLaren but was much more rare because of the characteristics of the driveline. Therefore there wasn't enough force to get the gear to change down. Fix will be rolled out asap.

good to read that, looking forward to the fix. Unfortunately, after bragging that everything was fixed today, it crashed again right before the 8pm GMT GT3 race, it's getting a bit beyond a joke.
just praying it stays up for indycar in 2.5 hrs...
Money well spent, right guys?

I can see how your subscription goes to having a rock solid server architecture.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Money well spent, right guys?

I can see how your subscription goes to having a rock solid server architecture.

I wondered how long before you started your shit again, when was the last time iRacing was down? It's a glitch in the servers, it happens, even companies like Google, Facebook etc don't have 100% uptime, shit happens in IT and we need to deal with it. Yes, that $0.10 i've lost by not being able to do a couple of races in the last couple of days is going to kill me.

They thought they had it fixed, turns out they hadn't. They're communicating the problems, and I'm sure they're not sitting in Boston having a right good laugh about the member-site being down.
It's not like this is the first time the service was unavailable in a short period of time.
Downshifting with Ruf feels very weird. I also managed to put it neutral while shifting. Otherwise the car feels great.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Money well spent, right guys?

if you follow your logic i assume you've never had a relationship with another human being because when it ends all your times been wasted, important question though, is your inflatable love life puncture proof ?

actually i stand by one of my earlier points, just as the majority of homophobes have strong latent homosexual feelings, does the fact that you make such a pont of publicly being an iracingphobe mean you're really desperate to get into it but are scared of coming out ?

only reason i ask is that you seem to be obsessed with something you claim to not like
Quote from tinvek :
only reason i ask is that you seem to be obsessed with something you claim to not like

Well it is kind of frustrating when you see innocent well-meaning people giving money to con-men.
Quote from tinvek :if you follow your logic i assume you've never had a relationship with another human being because when it ends all your times been wasted, important question though, is your inflatable love life puncture proof ?

actually i stand by one of my earlier points, just as the majority of homophobes have strong latent homosexual feelings, does the fact that you make such a pont of publicly being an iracingphobe mean you're really desperate to get into it but are scared of coming out ?

Actually I think he is married/engaged.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well it is kind of frustrating when you see innocent well-meaning people giving money to con-men.

Con-men implies they're taking our money and giving us nothing in return, which is clearly not the case no matter how deluded against iR you are.
At the same time though, we can't be naive. It's honestly been going from one problem to the next since 2011 or so. I know they can't make everyone happy, but the directions they go at times make me wonder who they are even trying to please.

iRacing - chapter III
(1141 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG