The online racing simulator
My test FRAPS Single Player replay file "lfsbench.iron.eu.org_6B.spr" Test 1920x1200x32 AA8 AF16

2014-01-20 18:40:18 - LFS
Frames: 5803 - Time: 117547ms - Avg: 49.367 - Min: 29 - Max: 73

2014-01-20 18:44:23 - LFS_6E12
Frames: 7437 - Time: 118608ms - Avg: 62.702 - Min: 37 - Max: 88

27% more Avg FPS

AA - Works OK
AF - Work OK

Limit fps - Work OK
V-Sync - Work OK

Win7x64 bit. Nvidia Cards

Regards
FPS thing was what I expected

Thing is that DX8 is very badly supported under Vista and later OSes, and FPS goes down (I tested some old DX8 benchmarks on both OS). Untill now most of problems were solved by simply moving back to XP, but now doesn't matter
That FPS improvement is good, but interesting as well. One would think you get less FPS with newer DX versions. Or I have no idea what I'm talking about. Yes, probably the last one.
I'd expect better performance from a newer DirectX version always, since its better fitted for newer hardware. Running DX8 on 2010+ hardware feels a bit like running a Nissan GTR on 1970s tires. Sure it might work, but performance wise ..

edit: I got this error trying to start a race in single player, instead of the race grid screen. Ingame I only see the background pic. Clicking it won't close the error, keeps reappearing.

Attached images
ddd.jpg
Quote from cargame.nl :I'm using Flame's LFS benchmark instructions; http://lfsbench.iron.eu.org/?c=instructions

And I measure a big big improvement concerning framerates (in full screen mode of course). Can somebody acknowledge this?

Difference: +36%

Starting grid: 65 FPS instead of 50 FPS

I must say I didn't have any framerate improvements at all. I guess it depends on the PC specs

Here are my results:
Quote :2014-01-20 19:24:36 - LFS
Frames: 5616 - Time: 107953ms - Avg: 52.022 - Min: 32 - Max: 72

2014-01-20 19:28:14 - LFS_6E12
Frames: 5510 - Time: 107797ms - Avg: 51.114 - Min: 31 - Max: 72

Quote from dawesdust_12 :I noticed that V-Sync is active in windowed mode (even when disabled). Full Screen allowed my GPU to flex its muscle (400 FPS!).

Normal behaviour if you're running aero in windows 7, because it also enables vsync for desktop.

Edit: Running LFS windowed at 60 FPS does seem to have quite a bit of microstuttering though...
Quote from ACCAkut :I'd expect better performance from a newer DirectX version always, since its better fitted for newer hardware. Running DX8 on 2010+ hardware feels a bit like running a Nissan GTR on 1970s tires. Sure it might work, but performance wise ..

edit: I got this error trying to start LFS. Clicking it won't close the error, keeps reappearing

Same here though I do get it to start but when I load up the track (SP) it doesn't give me lobby view, just the background picture with nothing else. When I minimize the LFS, I get the same message.
Quote from Matrixi :Normal behaviour if you're running aero in windows 7, because it also enables vsync for desktop.

Edit: Running LFS windowed at 60 FPS does seem to have quite a bit of microstuttering though...

But that doesn't happen in 0.6E.
Quote from Flame CZE :But that doesn't happen in 0.6E.

You're right, looks like DX8 somehow manages to avoid the 60 FPS aero limiter.
Quote from Matrixi :You're right, looks like DX8 somehow manages to avoid the 60 FPS aero limiter.

Probably because Aero requires DX9 hardware - it probably has to run DX8 stuff in a limited mode.

From my limited subjective testing so far, I seem to be able to get better in-game framerate now, while recording 1080p30 fullscreen in OBS, than I did before with no recording at all.
I haven't had any bugs/crashes as yet.

Win8.0
Radeon HD4890 (DX10.1 hardware)
EDIT : This seems to be solved now. This happens when you disable Haze.
See below : https://www.lfsforum.net/showt ... php?p=1842029#post1842029

Quote from ACCAkut :edit: I got this error trying to start a race in single player, instead of the race grid screen. Ingame I only see the background pic. Clicking it won't close the error, keeps reappearing.

That is definitely the strangest thing so far! Why would it be invalid data on yours but not others? Does that happen every time, or can you get in sometimes? Which version of Windows are you using?

Quote from Sobis :Same here though I do get it to start but when I load up the track (SP) it doesn't give me lobby view, just the background picture with nothing else. When I minimize the LFS, I get the same message.

Same questions for you, is it always the same? Which version of Windows do you have?

P.S. I noticed the frame limitation in a window as well, seems limited to desktop frame rate. When I used a debug version with a lot of AI cars, it was limited to 30 instead. So somehow it does work like vertical sync, and it's not related to Aero because my computer is XP.
A small feedback:
- When I start the exe, my mouse sticks to the left-upper corner of the screen. It should stay where I left it, nope? Or at least centered?
- The exit screen (credits) has no background, only a black one.

(see my spec in my sig.)
(my GPU is DirectX 10.1)

EDIT: Just tried, all of the test versions did the mouse thing (from E6 to E12)
EDIT2: Added a pic of the rolling credits screen having no bkg.
Attached images
black.png
Quote from MandulAA :A small feedback:
- When I start the exe, my mouse sticks to the left-upper corner of the screen. It should stay where I left it, nope?

(see my spec in my sig.)
(my GPU is DirectX 10.1)

Yes, same thing here.
Tried 3 times, 2 in SP, 1 in MP (WS Metropolis). Again, it seems that everything loads up and then bam, something happens. Same goes for MP - I actually even saw the server greeting message and then nothing - black screen (with the messages still visible IIRC - so it was a freeze).

Now I just tried with NDR server - my LFS connected to the lobby, got the server messages and nothing else (I did see bkg_setup.jpg in the background, not a black screen). Tried pressing H and other buttons - nothing happened.

I hope you understood what I was trying to tell.

E:
- When I start the exe, my mouse sticks to the left-upper corner of the screen. It should stay where I left it, nope?

Same here
Attached files
DxDiag.txt - 31.5 KB - 554 views
I got a freez when disabling Haze and try to run a replay

replay loads but nothing is rendered but a black screen and replaytransportbar

i get the same Error popup+freez like ACCAkut and Sobis when starting single player

I am on a Win7 interprise 64bit 1920x1200

same thing happen when in windowed mode
OK! That's the answer! Disabling Haze causes the error!

I can reproduce it so that should not be a problem!

EDIT : I've fixed that one in my code. Good bug finding, thanks.
Just tried the latest mpr on my laptop,I also see noticable FPS raise - in 15 car grid when looking from last car in E stable I got 35-40FPS,while in E12 it raises to 40-50 FPS,thats in full screen mode. But I usually use windowed and it was also limited to 60FPS. (W7 64bit).

PS. Yes - switching off haze effect causes that error.
Quote from Flame CZE :I must say I didn't have any framerate improvements at all. I guess it depends on the PC specs

FWIW (also using http://lfsbench.iron.eu.org/):

0.6E Frames: 16442 - Time: 108608ms - Avg: 151.388 - Min: 87 - Max: 206
LFS_6E12 Frames: 18937 - Time: 108514ms - Avg: 174.512 - Min: 102 - Max: 238

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Total Physical Memory 16,0 GB
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Quote from sicotange :I may have found a little oddity. The FOV in helicopter view seems different with 0.6E12. Anyone else noticed this?

I'd better stop for the day and release a fix for these bugs tomorrow.

- When I start the exe, my mouse sticks to the left-upper corner of the screen. It should stay where I left it, nope? Or at least centered?

(see my spec in my sig.)
(my GPU is DirectX 10.1)

EDIT: Just tried, all of the test versions did the mouse thing (from E6 to E12)

I get the same thing with the mouse, but my credits screen (with the scrolling credits) does have a background.
Quote from felplacerad :FWIW (also using http://lfsbench.iron.eu.org/):

0.6E Frames: 16442 - Time: 108608ms - Avg: 151.388 - Min: 87 - Max: 206
LFS_6E12 Frames: 18937 - Time: 108514ms - Avg: 174.512 - Min: 102 - Max: 238

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Total Physical Memory 16,0 GB
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Yes, I guess I can't expect any more improvements out of my AMD Athlon II X3 455 and ATI Radeon HD 5770
Quote from Flame CZE :Yes, I guess I can't expect any more improvements out of my AMD Athlon II X3 455 and ATI Radeon HD 5770

I have quite similar specs, I'll do some tests tomorrow and see if I am more fortunate than you
Short report about FPS gain and one unwanted graphic effect.

Setup is Win7 64-bit, all graphic driver settings are identical (application preference) as are in-game graphic settings (full screen 1366x768) including FOV; 19 AIs and myself as 20th on the grid.

GPU activity (GPU-Z application)
LFS DX8 (attachment 1):
intel4000 ~30% average

AMD 7670M 0%

LFS DX9 (attachment 2):
intel4000 ~13% average

AMD 7670M ~33% average

Don't know why they aren't at 100% (in either case) or close to it as there wasn't FPS limitation of V-sync. Perhaps 19 AIs bottlenecked the CPU.
Subjective experience is that DX9 is more smoother, managed to get FPS to low 30s without loss of smoothness. Whereas on DX8 there was barely noticeable micro-stutters bellow 40 FPS.

The unwanted graphic effect i mentioned, is clearly noticeable when comparing the two screenshoots. Manifestation is exactly the same as raising the "Mip bias" setting before. If i remember correctly that got changed, so todays 0.0 was roughly the same as -1.0 before and raising it to 0.0 looked like dx9 looks to me now. It looks like a poor-mans anti-aliasing, or like it's not running at native monitor resolution. I had exactly the same result by using the dx8->dx9 converter.
For the laughs i deleted the DLL and ran LFS to see if anything changes but same deal again
Anyone else having this as well?
Attached images
LFS DX8 FPS.jpg
LFS DX9 FPS.jpg
Did a benchmark (do not laugh on the framerates, just check the difference . And yep, as you can see, there is a lower avg fps):
2014-01-20 21:37:31 - LFS
Frames: 1877 - Time: 108186ms - Avg: 17.349 - Min: 10 - Max: 25

2014-01-20 21:40:38 - LFS_6E12
Frames: 1813 - Time: 108140ms - Avg: 16.765 - Min: 10 - Max: 24

Maybe it's the max performance I can achieve on this config.
Strangely it seems that LFS think I have a 120Hz monitor as V-sync limits my FPS to around 120fps.. :/ Only bug I can find
Quote from MandulAA :Did a benchmark (do not laugh on the framerates, just check the difference . And yep, as you can see, there is a lower avg fps):
2014-01-20 21:37:31 - LFS
Frames: 1877 - Time: 108186ms - Avg: 17.349 - Min: 10 - Max: 25

2014-01-20 21:40:38 - LFS_6E12
Frames: 1813 - Time: 108140ms - Avg: 16.765 - Min: 10 - Max: 24

Maybe it's the max performance I can achieve on this config.

Maybe your CPU does not catch up with your GPU . O have the same problem.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6E8 (now E14 - DirectX 9 + 3D / VR support)
(405 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG