The online racing simulator
A whole decade
(202 posts, started )
Quote from col :
And why has nobody has mentioned MATH yet. When I started, he was the guy to beat. Even before Macest...

Ah yes, I remember MATH, from Apex Racing Team iirc, so fast in GT
when old enough, you would remember Cedge Dervo and Risto Junnilainen
when i was a young lfser the man to beat was biggie for me with over 100 wr's and when i beat him the first time i was super proud like superman !
Quote from dawesdust_12 :And I'm not even super old school.

I still think we qualify somewhere near that category!
Quote from Becky Rose :New tracks. I'm just bored stiff of the ones in LFS. I have a preference for short circuit racing and that limits the selection to a handful in tracks in three environments with some shared corners. Ugh.

In terms of physics, I don't care about tyres. LFS' tyre physics are good already. I think the aero physics are a little lacking but it's not the end of the world - what I would really like to see is an environment simulation (track and air temperature, localised circuit factors, moisture in the morning, local circuit nuances etc), but I've been over that topic to death and it transpires that I'm the only one who doesn't think tyres are the be all and end all of race sims.

For me to come back there needs to be enough "new" within LFS that I feel compelled to spend money on getting a new wheel and make time for playing/modding more games in my lifestyle.

Currently I get more joy making my own game (not a race sim).

Fully agree, weather, track temp, modded tracks, etc I'd love to see. LFS has the best driving 'feel' of any sim but ??????? That's not enough.

I'm really keen to see the next update but there's so much going on I'm really not holding my breath waiting. Hopefully it will be stunning.

In the meantime, liff goes on.
Insane, I am just realizing that the last day i was online in LFS was one single day in early 2009. The last actual race was in 2007 :P

What about Cedje Dervo and Devil 007?

I just realized that pretty much everyone I know in LFS is from that pre-2006 era

[EDIT]
we drove all night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6AMjQsAj7w
Hey everyone, it's been a while, just thought I'd drop by again.
I guess I never really said goodbye before I quit. I really enjoyed LFS for many many years, LFS used to be a big part of my life back then, but there comes a time when you've got to move on.
I doubt I'd be of much use right now, my steering wheel has certainly been collecting a lot of dust during the years. Some occasional karting laps are all that's left of my racing addiction
I've been playing a lot of Path of Exile and Wurm Online lately, as well as many other short-lived games in the years before. Also, Real Life has been keeping me busy.

That's just how life goes, you grow older and things come and go. Reminiscing about the good old times sometimes gives me a warm and fuzzy feelings, but some things aren't gonna come back. One of the big lessions in life

I'm well on my way to grandpahood with sentences like these, huh? :P
One of my earliest memories in LFS (prob 2003) was racing regularly on a server where there was one racer mostly winning all the time. Then one day after they left, someone said their username was Russian for Little Girl! She showed me up, can't remember the name though
lol, this thread makes me feel old, more than 10 years ago I was 15 and one of the youngest fellas around here.

My Racing started to stop somewhere around 2008/09 when I discovered poker and started working with all my heart toward the goal of becoming a good poker player. Have been playing for nearly five years now and still havent had to go to work ever in Estonia

Bought a new desktop PC sometime in 2012 and started to do a slow comeback with iRacing. OH BOY it took a while, but managed to become the Skip Barber Champion of Season 2013/02 in a 4way battle all the way up to the final GP at SPA. Coming out on top in that battle felt so great, reminded me of why I loved LFS so much, the feeling of accomplishment it provided me with !

Since I also have become successful enough with poker to spend some money, I also gave a shot at real life with Rotax Max karting last year. Did 5 Races and mostly last places so far, Estonia has pretty great drivers, The Rotax Max Champ came 2nd at the Grand Finals in New Orleans, so it's tough out there. But I was closing the gap with every race and my equipment wasnt the best last year.

Will be having another expensive shot at it this year with full season and better equipment and team support, will see how goes

Any of the oldies become very wealthy somehow, then PM me for sponsorship deals !
Very cool Rudi!

Is there a YT video of that iRacing final GP?
Quote from P1lot :One of my earliest memories in LFS (prob 2003) was racing regularly on a server where there was one racer mostly winning all the time. Then one day after they left, someone said their username was Russian for Little Girl! She showed me up, can't remember the name though

Might be Devushka (sp?) with that yellow / light blue GTI if i remember correctly
Quote from ORION :Might be Devushka (sp?) with that yellow / light blue GTI if i remember correctly

omg, I feel even older when I remind this too
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Very cool Rudi!

Is there a YT video of that iRacing final GP?

Many people were hoping for a stream that evening, but I think noone ended up doing it. The highest scoring race didnt go down that interestingally though.

There is basically a 1.5sec draft window, where You just cant pull away, cause of the insanely long straights for the Skip Barber and most races just go down switching places , cruising in the draft and being the most clever at the last lap.

But I remember I was in 2nd at an early lap and got a draft in a way that I pulled ahead and the 2 guys behind me made it just side by side with the guy who was in the lead, so I got into the 2nd sector in the lead while next 3 cars went into the following corners side by side and they were foolish enough to stay like that for too long and there was my 1.5+ gap to pull away and ended up something like 14 secs win. I also won the 3 other lower scoring races that night, so I didnt leave anything to a chance

We actually had a lot of tension trough midseason with a few guys, for that title battle, since there were some incidents and things were really heating up between us, it was actually quite stressful, but in the end we all shook our virtual hands and remained friends
Quote from Flotch :omg, I feel even older when I remind this too

Flotch the crazy Frenchman Ah the good memories of our hotlap battles. Do you remember the BF1 Rallyx hotlaps? You even dominated weird combos like these :P
Now I fear I would hardly get into the top10
Anyway, I would be ready to clean the wheel (my sidewinder precision racing wheel more exactly) from the dust to do some hotlapping frenzy (for some hours ... wife, child (-ren <= to come in few months) and the cat would not let me go mad like when youger :P ) again with the big updates promised
I am sure you too
Wow nice going Rudi, and nice to see you win on another sim, multi-talanted LOL

Flotch, I will take you up on that, dust off that wheel, and get ready for some "Old Skool Classic Combo's"

Orion if you look here, there is loads I have uploaded http://www.youtube.com/user/LFSFordman

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :...
Flotch, I will take you up on that, dust off that wheel, and get ready for some "Old Skool Classic Combo's"

Fordie

I just took the XR gt against AI on BL1... I have to admit that I had trouble to won (... to stay on the road in fact) ...
With the Turbo it was easier (bigger tires) .. but anyway, 3s slower than the WR ...
Quote from ORION :Might be Devushka (sp?) with that yellow / light blue GTI if i remember correctly

Yes, that's it. Knew I wasn't imagining it!
We invented driver switching !
#97 - Woz
<uncloak>I am still around</uncloak>
What impresses me most is that 10 years later (although I don't like driving LFS since a couple of years anymore) there is still no alternative to this.
Can´t remember really when I started with LFS 12-13 years ago now? Was part of some amazing teams, dE-racing, Boomerang Rapido, Cyber and SDRA. I retired in 2005-06 due to University studies and life in general. I did some iRacing for awhile but haven't touched my wheel in 4 years now. My own racing career stopped in 2005, was doing Formula Renault, and I started to be a race-engineer and driver coach for a number of young talents here in Sweden. Which led me in to Mechanical engineering studies and continued race-engineering at Volvo Polestar in the WTCC and STCC. My latest assignment was Prince Carl Philip of Sweden in STCC back in 2013. Since then life have slowed down and I have been working with Autonomous driving and Active safety development while I got married and had a kid. Going from little time to sim-race to none at all. If I get 5 minutes to game I prefer to mini-nuke Mirelurks in Fallout 4 nowadays.

Nice memories with all the people on the list that Fordie made. Best memories must be building setups with Sinbad and Lefty and the rest o the Boomerang Rapido crew on Fern Bay. Beating records, sharing setups, mutating them, breaking new records thinking one would be unbeatable on raceday, only to find that Vykos and the Ocrana boys was just as fast if not quicker.
Hey, great to hear from you Moby. Glad you are well and sounds like you've done some interesting stuff.

A whole decade
(202 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG