The online racing simulator
Gran Turismo 6
(415 posts, started )
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :Thats pretty awesome. How did you capture that video?

I have a Blackmagic Intensity capture device on my PC, which has a pass through to the monitor - will only capture 720p though when taken from the PS3 at 60fps.
It's a bit fiddly and tempermental though - I don't update the software/drivers anymore less I break it, and have to bring up a backup of my OS install and restore it...

There are some other devices that can do 1080p/60 or take in 1080p60 but record at 30fps - massive file sizes though
So who's the boss of the game now, Veyron who throws burning tires at you?
Finally driving in a GT game felt good, as a matter of fact more than good. It felt right.

This info may not be pertinent, but...

Driving a Scion FRS with comfort hard tires around the Streets of Willow is almost exactly the same as actually driving a Scion FRS at SOW with some treaded bridgestone semi-performance tires. (no sarcasm)

I recently got to drive one at SOW on November 29th, albeit with traffic and passing only on straights, and got a time of 1:33.259 on a clear lap. Skip ahead to last Saturday, I obligatorily purchased the game not expecting too much from this GT title. After getting through the tutorial and messing around in some of the races, I hopped into arcade mode with the FRS, got a 1:25.xxx, and noticed GT was once again a POS. The car would not oversteer, there was way too much grip, the shift points were all off, and overall driving the same car just felt bad.

After some time, hating the game but still lapping SOW, I thought 'maybe these tires are just wrong.' I tried the comfort soft tires, nope not right. Tried the com/medium tires, nope not those either. Both just took way too much work to break the rear tires loose. Eventually, com/hard tires end up on the the car. At first, after having driven with so much grip, the car felt way out of control, loose on throttle and understeery; however, after a few laps and realizing I need to slow the car down to turn, a new sense of respect for this GT title came over me, and put a smile on my face. Finally driving in a GT game felt good, as a matter of fact more than good. It felt right. Exiting out of the skid pad on to the straight the car skirts over the bumps on the edge of rear slip, throttle pinned and a little wheel work to stay out of the landscaping. The brake points started matching up, as well as the drive in each gear. Where there were short-shifts, there were short-shifts. Where I had to feather throttle, I had to feather throttle. Almost quite literally spot on.

Eventually, I got a 1:32.9xx but averaged around 1:33.4xx. I'd say Gran Turismo 6 is pretty darn close to real life.

That aside, the steering is still not linear and brake feel is terrible. If they could just fix those two things, GT will be on its way to becoming the actual simulator it claims to be.
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :
.... pic of car jumping....

So... do we think that the camber curve throughout the range of suspension travel is only modeled visually or is it / has it always been part of the physics?
Quote from Mattesa :So... do we think that the camber curve throughout the range of suspension travel is only modeled visually or is it / has it always been part of the physics?

It was part of the physics in gt5 in my opinion. Each cars has different camber levels that maje it run well. Like a BRZ at 3 degrees can still set great times but a ferrari wuth over 1.5 slides in a corner. I wish they'd fix the suspension 3d models. Ebery car gets major tuck as you lower it. Wheel width changes would also be nice.
I got this from one Magazine writer

I will have to try GT6...

On a sidenote, the two new seasonal events have quite a nice payout, and they're pretty doable even for slowpokes like me.

Also, I really like that you see the driving line of the best friend in your list, that helps tremendously. So if anyone wants to add me, I'm ColeusRattus (d'uh) on PSN.

Might not be able to accept the request until tomorrow evening though.
Quote from ColeusRattus :On a sidenote, the two new seasonal events have quite a nice payout, and they're pretty doable even for slowpokes like me.

Also, I really like that you see the driving line of the best friend in your list, that helps tremendously. So if anyone wants to add me, I'm ColeusRattus (d'uh) on PSN.

Might not be able to accept the request until tomorrow evening though.

Also with the daily log-in bonus thing you could double the credits for those events (and any event come to that)....I quite enjoyed the lap with the Hudson, my kind of pace.
I will add you (no one on my friend list has GT6), would be nice to have a ghost to chase.....but I am only playing with the joypad so do not be to hard on me eh?
Can I buy that jacket and poster? Would look great in the man cave haha
After playing more I don't know if I ever will again. Driving a rwd car with a racing wheel is like cutting down a tree with your bare hands lol. It's like entering corner rwd cars all power slide even at off throttle lol.
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
The Hudson sounds are terrible and the interior textures look like something a 5 year old made in kindergarten lol.
-
Quote from brandons48 :The hudson isn't great, but you get a pretty awesome amount of money for the seasonal event.

The real cars are amazing. Ours was a Twin H

Wow that Hornet is really concours material, well except the engine bay..
-
If my memory serves me right it has always been like that.
anyone heard the Redbull Junior?

sounds like they may be fixing engine sounds as it sounds much better then anything else on the game.
-
Quote from brandons48 :I drove the X2010 in the Goodwood challenge, that sounded pretty insane. I'm guessing the junior sounds similar?

sounds like an air blower instead of a vacuum cleaner
Quote from brandons48 :I drove the X2010 in the Goodwood challenge, that sounded pretty insane. I'm guessing the junior sounds similar?

No the X2010 sounds too muffled, the junior sounds like a proper 4 banger with a straight pipe.
the sounds in GT6 are really crap BUT better than in LFS

LFS sound: (800 RPM) mmmmmmm....(accelerate) mmmmMMMMMMMMMM (shift in 2nd gear) mmmMMMMM...

GT6 sound is more: (800 RPM) brbrbrbrbr.... (accelerate) eeeeekkkkk (traction controll is off) brbrbbBRBRBBRBRBRUUUUUM tektektek (rev limiter) (shift in 2nd gear) brbrBRBRBRBRBRBRUUUUMBRBRBRbrbrbr (shift down) POW!!!! (backfire)

I have never seen such an eloquent post in my life.

Top notch, sir.
The onomatopoeia is astounding.
More fun in fotomode!
Attached images
Gran Turismo Arena (Layout A).jpg
Gran Turismo Arena (Layout A)_1.jpg
Gran Turismo Arena (Layout A)_2.jpg

Gran Turismo 6
(415 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG