The online racing simulator
The Drift version of E30 was just released with the new 0.3 patch. I thought I'd give it a quick try on the new Vallelunga layout, and the good ol' Driftland.

Hope you like it, despite the few mistakes in my driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuOcsDoWxkw
Quote from BlueFlame :12C is most definately faster than the 458 though I think.

Yes, it definitely is. However, outright laptimes don't really mean much for high performance road cars (despite what Top Gear might want you to believe). What would you rather drive: a car with predictable handling, great front-end precision and sublime power delivery or one with a poor front-end, unpredictable high speed handling (ready to spin up that inside wheel even at 100+mph just because of the diff design) and peaky power delivery? Ultimately we may get the chance to race them against each other in AC and most people will pick the 12C simply because it's faster and despite the shortfalls in comparison to the 458. However, given the choice of which to drive a few laps on my own I know which set of keys I'd be picking up.

I really wanted to enjoy driving the 12C (because I think the road car is generally an interesting concept that's been executed well), but even from the first few laps it was clear something is wrong. I hope it's a problem with the simulation (I remain unconvinced that at least one of the systems in the 12C is actually simulated in AC) that can be fixed in future updates.
It was fun "grip driving" the drift E30 @ Imola
Quote from Kristi :The Drift version of E30 was just released with the new 0.3 patch. I thought I'd give it a quick try on the new Vallelunga layout, and the good ol' Driftland.

Hope you like it, despite the few mistakes in my driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuOcsDoWxkw

Good stuff man. What wheel are you using? Any settings recommendations if you on a G25/27?
Quote from jrd.racer :Good stuff man. What wheel are you using? Any settings recommendations if you on a G25/27?

I'm on G25, here are my settings:
Force 90
Filter 0
Damping 12

Kerb 60
Road 30
Slip 5

@McLaren, I tried the car on Silverstone and it's really fun, I don't understand how people get about 1 sec on me in mid sector and 0.2 in 1st sector, but I guess that's up to some practice. I set the car up so it slides a bit (with 4 wheels) in nearly every turn. I just didn't get the feeling most of you describe. I could catch every slide, and the accelerations didn't feel awkard. It's a solid version of 458 Italia, in my opinion.
@amp

Honestly, spend some time with the McLaren.. It felt fun but weird to start with to me, until i realised i was completely over-driving it.

Take it to Mugello, drive it really smooth, start by braking early,let it roll into the corners off the power, really gentle throttle control out of the corners... build up slowly over a few laps. When you drive it like it wants to be driven it handles wonderfully. Overdrive it a tad too much and it's horrible, Keep building it up slowly to its limits and it rewards you with massive laptime improvements and it feels great.

I wasn't sure about the MP4 at all to start with...it felt wrong. After 5 hours with it I'm convinced its one of the best cars in the sim.
Quote from amp88 :Yes, it definitely is. However, outright laptimes don't really mean much for high performance road cars (despite what Top Gear might want you to believe). What would you rather drive: a car with predictable handling, great front-end precision and sublime power delivery or one with a poor front-end, unpredictable high speed handling (ready to spin up that inside wheel even at 100+mph just because of the diff design) and peaky power delivery? Ultimately we may get the chance to race them against each other in AC and most people will pick the 12C simply because it's faster and despite the shortfalls in comparison to the 458. However, given the choice of which to drive a few laps on my own I know which set of keys I'd be picking up.

I really wanted to enjoy driving the 12C (because I think the road car is generally an interesting concept that's been executed well), but even from the first few laps it was clear something is wrong. I hope it's a problem with the simulation (I remain unconvinced that at least one of the systems in the 12C is actually simulated in AC) that can be fixed in future updates.

Actually I feel you could almost say the 458 was the XRR and the 4/12c is more like the FZR in the way that the FZR/McLaren is outright faster and harder to drive but the XRR/458 is easier to drive just as quick but not its not a quicker car outright.
Just fell in love with the MP4-12 and the Zonda. The MP4-12 does feel very similar to the 458, but yet the difference is it feels like its more planted and much more responsive under breaking than the Ferrari. The Zonda is just an outright monster!
Where are the Japanese Drift cars?

And when are we getting a dirft mode setup for the Lotus 49?
Quote from xtraction :Just fell in love with the MP4-4 and the Zonda. The MP4-4 does feel very similar to the 458, but yet the difference is it feels like its more planted and much more responsive under breaking than the Ferrari. The Zonda is just an outright monster!

Well the MP4-4 was an F1 car so I assume you mean the MP4-12c?

Anyways, even on iRacing that car is nice to drive. I bet it's awesome in AC.
Watching people going over fine details, I am beginning to think that the sim has set the bar too high for it's own good. I mean, come on, you know you can't find better overall physics out there. Simulating something as complicated as an automobile (a REAL automobile), well, I don't think it can get significantly better in the next years, given what happens under the hood every moment. I'd say we are approaching reality asymptotically, same goes for graphics.

Content wise, I am semi-dissapointed though, but this is so subjective I am not complaining. Hoping for some cool updates.
Quote from The Moose :@amp

Honestly, spend some time with the McLaren.. It felt fun but weird to start with to me, until i realised i was completely over-driving it.

Take it to Mugello, drive it really smooth, start by braking early,let it roll into the corners off the power, really gentle throttle control out of the corners... build up slowly over a few laps. When you drive it like it wants to be driven it handles wonderfully. Overdrive it a tad too much and it's horrible, Keep building it up slowly to its limits and it rewards you with massive laptime improvements and it feels great.

I wasn't sure about the MP4 at all to start with...it felt wrong. After 5 hours with it I'm convinced its one of the best cars in the sim.

Yeah, Moose... I strongly suspect this it the case driving the car for 1 hour today after work. First, I tried your 458 set, matched my laps with the first few and then realized if I pushed it hard enough I might get close to your time with the 458 at Imola - which I plan to try in the next week. However, that's the closest I've been to the neighborhood of your times in any sim, and I think it's because (humour me) AC rewards driving the cars like real cars for the first time in a sim (!).

So when I took that McLaren out tonight for a short bit, (despite being distracted a lot by the turbos and analyzing what was and was not happening with them) I could see exactly what you're saying - another level of depth. It's not as simple, from a sim-racer standpoint, as it is in other sims - jump in and learn the car in a few mins... there's far more nuance here and that's a good thing.

Looking forward learning more about this sim for sure - bright future ahead. Finally.
Quote from xtraction :Just fell in love with the MP4-4 and the Zonda. The MP4-4 does feel very similar to the 458, but yet the difference is it feels like its more planted and much more responsive under breaking than the Ferrari. The Zonda is just an outright monster!

Quote from BlueFlame :Actually I feel you could almost say the 458 was the XRR and the 4/12c is more like the FZR in the way that the FZR/McLaren is outright faster and harder to drive but the XRR/458 is easier to drive just as quick but not its not a quicker car outright.

That's quite a bad comparision to begin with. I wouldn't compare AC with LFS for sake, but if we take your standpoint, FZR is a lot easier to drive and is more rewarding thus Scavier not being able to balance 3 cars into the same category... The XRR is a lot harder to drive, gotta keep the momentum up with the turbos, gotta be a lot smoother going into the turns and is never gonna get the same pace as a mediocre FZR driver.
Quote from isamu :
And when are we getting a dirft mode setup for the Lotus 49?

This game has ruined my other driving games now be ause they just dont have the ffb that this does.. I played 2 hours on this then jumped into the v8 calcon for a race i waz doing last nighg and damn... Couldnt feel a thing..

Anyway.. Is there a way to completely remove shadows? Ive got them set low atm and just see massive triangles appear where shadows should be..

Cheers.
Silverstone makes me mad. Driving the McLaren for a while... 0.2s off in S1, 1.3!!! off in S2, then 0.1 off in S3.

Sector 2 pls.

Also, this Rivali Tempo timing app is pretty neat.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Silverstone makes me mad. Driving the McLaren for a while... 0.2s off in S1, 1.3!!! off in S2, then 0.1 off in S3.

Sector 2 pls.

Also, this Rivali Tempo timing app is pretty neat.

I agree. Rivali Tempo is pretty damn awesome to have. At least it gives some more mood to keep on driving and get that best time. Did you meet my time on that combo? I've been trying a few laps out there, last night.
Quote from Bmxtwins :Well the MP4-4 was an F1 car so I assume you mean the MP4-12c?

Anyways, even on iRacing that car is nice to drive. I bet it's awesome in AC.

Corrected my fail.

Its just a beast.
Quote from The Moose :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZmuY7UUZnI

Pity his FOV is wrong, but damn it looks awesome fun on three big screens and a motion rig .

His FOV does look a little wrong but not too bad. The triple screen app makes it pretty much impossible to have a wrong FOV, it's just a case of measuring screen width, screen angle, bezel width and eye distance from central monitor and the software sets the rest up absolutely perfectly, it makes trip screen setup a breeze.
Quote from Kristi :That's quite a bad comparision to begin with. I wouldn't compare AC with LFS for sake, but if we take your standpoint, FZR is a lot easier to drive and is more rewarding thus Scavier not being able to balance 3 cars into the same category... The XRR is a lot harder to drive, gotta keep the momentum up with the turbos, gotta be a lot smoother going into the turns and is never gonna get the same pace as a mediocre FZR driver.

Nah the majority of people are quicker in the xr than they are in fz. That's fact.

I'm not comparing LFS to AC just the relativity of the xr and fz compared with the 4-12 and 458.
I noticed there are some other cars with "stage" upgrades

Fiat Abarth 500 SS - S1 = chiptuning (more hp/nm) and coilovers
E85 Z4 - S1 = coilovers
Lotus Elise SC - S1 = coilovers, S2 = coilovers + 25% lsd

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG