The online racing simulator
Maldo is a dick. Too bad, money talks.
But is a fast, rich dick, and Lotus need cash more than anything at the moment. Doubt he'll win again, but he could mature into a regular podium finisher if they can manage his head - and Enstone have a good record for nurturing 'difficult' drivers.
Quote from CSF :If its a choice between signing someone with talent who has no money and having problems only making the grid, and signing someone with talent, who is prickly as ****, but brings big cash to ensure they are on the grid, then there is only one option. It's the same one I would have made.

Talent? That's a bit generous. He's shown that on 1 occasion he was actually worthy of an F1 seat which just so happened to be a good enough performance to win the race. Every other race he's been wrecking people or been hopelessly shit.
Quote from BlueFlame :Talent? That's a bit generous. He's shown that on 1 occasion he was actually worthy of an F1 seat which just so happened to be a good enough performance to win the race. Every other race he's been wrecking people or been hopelessly shit.

You need to pay more attention. Yes, he's undoubtedly had shit periods. But he's had plenty of "wow" drives. People don't notice them usually if their not on the podium though.
Quote from tristancliffe :You need to pay more attention. Yes, he's undoubtedly had shit periods. But he's had plenty of "wow" drives. People don't notice them usually if their not on the podium though.

I forgot Australia '12 was going ok until he binned it.....

Lets not forget this is the guy who intentionally makes contact with other cars presumably out of frustration at himself for being so ugly.
Don't let the imbecile in you stand in the way of facts.

Australia '12. Spain '12. Singapore '12. Abu Dhabi '12. Plus a couple this year, but they're much harder to read as the car was so so bad at times. Yes, he's driven worse this year, but a lot of drivers over-drive when it's not going so well for them. Hamilton when McLaren were especially poor a few years ago could barely have outqualified Max Chilton
Alonso in 2009 also was dreadful at times. Bad car = demotivating, especially for a Grand Prix winner.
lil bit off topic... IM THE BEST!

on topic: finns ftw
It's not great that Maldonado is at Lotus, but at least he'll provide the money they need to keep giving Grosjean a shot.
Quote from tristancliffe :Don't let the imbecile in you stand in the way of facts.

I think he's one of these guys that actually has something there but is horrendous at communicating and setting up a car.
Quote from CSF :Alonso in 2009 also was dreadful at times. Bad car = demotivating, especially for a Grand Prix winner.

What? 2009 he was in the dog that was the Renault. He did the best he could in '09, even dragging podiums out of the thing. Meanwhile Piquet Junior is at the back not even getting points out of it and he had a year in F1 under his belt already.
Quote from BlueFlame :
What? 2009 he was in the dog that was the Renault. He did the best he could in '09, even dragging podiums out of the thing. Meanwhile Piquet Junior is at the back not even getting points out of it and he had a year in F1 under his belt already.

It performed well at Singapore yes, but look at the races it didn't perform at, especially Silverstone. Absolutely nowhere. It was certainly a better car than this years Williams. Piquet junior was dire, we all know that.
Quote from CSF :Piquet junior was dire, we all know that.

Talent wise before F1 he wasn't that bad.
And he's done well in NASCAR.
Quote from CSF :It performed well at Singapore yes, but look at the races it didn't perform at, especially Silverstone. Absolutely nowhere. It was certainly a better car than this years Williams. Piquet junior was dire, we all know that.

This logic assumes the car performs roughly the same at all tracks.
Quote from Mustafur :This logic assumes the car performs roughly the same at all tracks.

Yea well CSF doesn't apply logic unless it favours Herr Schumacher
lolz if you read my post, and Tristains, you will see that I was saying the Renault was shite, but that doesn't mean Alonso did much for most of 08/09. When the car was competitive he was competitive, this is repeated throughout history with World Champions, they respond to having the material underneath them that they can get a good result in.
so 2014 f1 cars are gonna be slower than GP2
Depends. GP2 are 5-10 seconds slower at the moment. It's not unusual for the lower classes to match back of the grid F1 pace in the past. I guess the real issue is how much slower they'll be compared to F1 from circa 2004
Quote from Bmxtwins :so 2014 f1 cars are gonna be slower than GP2

Quote from Enrico Scalabroni :I would not be surprised if a GP2 car is as fast as a F1 (car)

The two statements are not equivalent. The truth of the matter is that no-one will know for certain how F1 and GP2 cars compare next season until... <drumroll please> ... next season! Sure, Scalabroni is in a position to speculate, but it's wrong to say with certainty that GP2 cars will be faster than F1 cars next season.
I could definitely see GP2 cars running faster than the backmarkers. HRT was only a second or two faster than the best GP2 cars on some tracks.
......and a second or two per lap means what over a full race distance?

Formula 1 Season 2013
(1242 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG