Pit Stop?
(29 posts, started )
Pit Stop?
do you want a pit stop?

yes or no
#2 - Koopa
Yess and atleast 2 would be nice...

Good for the tactics...
Quote from Arrow. :do you want a pit stop?

yes or no

silly question :P the only thing we gotta do is to disallow pitting in the very last laps.. like if he have a 30lap race, u gotta pit before the 20th lap or sumthing.. i remember i got beaten by sum sert guy in apexi's event w that strategy
Quote from Koopa :Yess and atleast 2 would be nice...

Good for the tactics...

since we have 20 and 30 lap race, no need for 2 pits imo, but we should do a test race sum day to see how it works..
No, forced pitstops suck. There is no tactics with pitting in a 30 lap race. It´s to be done as soon as possible, usually after the first lap so there isn´t any damage that needs fixing and the pitstop takes as little time as possible. It´s not like your gonna change tyres or refuel. Might aswell give everybody a drive through penalty. Please don´t turn this league into a joke.
Quote from Kalev EST :No, forced pitstops suck. There is no tactics with pitting in a 30 lap race. It´s to be done as soon as possible, usually after the first lap so there isn´t any damage that needs fixing and the pitstop takes as little time as possible. It´s not like your gonna change tyres or refuel. Might aswell give everybody a drive through penalty. Please don´t turn this league into a joke.

pitting makes the race more 'realistic'. theres no fun doing it in the first laps dude, having 1 stop on a 60min race is fair i think..
Quote from RevengeR :pitting makes the race more 'realistic'. theres no fun doing it in the first laps dude, having 1 stop on a 60min race is fair i think..

How does it make the race more "realistic". Show me a league in real life where the racers do a pitstop cause it´s fun and not because they need fuel or new tyres. If you can´t finish the race without a pitstop then do it. Whos stopping you? You can make ten of them for all I care. Why force others to do that against their will?

And about the pitting in the first laps... It´s the best thing to do tactically. You loose less time cause there is less chance you have damage to the car. After half an hour there is more chance you´ve got some damage that needs fixing in the pitstop thus loosing you time. If there would be 2 forced pitstops like Koopa wanted then I would do them on lap1 and lap2. It´s "good for the tactics...".

I have my opinion and you have yours. Lets just see what others think cause right now only 3 racers have said their opinion. If the majority wants a pitstop I´ll have to accept it.
#8 - Koopa
Yeah right.... illepall

1 pitstop after lap 1 and before lap 20 sounds good to me...
Quote from Kalev EST :How does it make the race more "realistic". Show me a league in real life where the racers do a pitstop cause it´s fun and not because they need fuel or new tyres. If you can´t finish the race without a pitstop then do it. Whos stopping you? You can make ten of them for all I care. Why force others to do that against their will?

And about the pitting in the first laps... It´s the best thing to do tactically. You loose less time cause there is less chance you have damage to the car. After half an hour there is more chance you´ve got some damage that needs fixing in the pitstop thus loosing you time. If there would be 2 forced pitstops like Koopa wanted then I would do them on lap1 and lap2. It´s "good for the tactics...".

I have my opinion and you have yours. Lets just see what others think cause right now only 3 racers have said their opinion. If the majority wants a pitstop I´ll have to accept it.

true, true.. btw, we will think it over again. i still think that 1 pit is ok in a 1h long race
Quote from Kalev EST :How does it make the race more "realistic". Show me a league in real life where the racers do a pitstop cause it´s fun and not because they need fuel or new tyres. If you can´t finish the race without a pitstop then do it. Whos stopping you? You can make ten of them for all I care. Why force others to do that against their will?

I think the Dutch Supercar Challenge mandates one pitstop. DTM also mandates at least 2 pitstops, and they have to change at least one tire.
GP2 Series has a mandatory pitstop. A1GP has a mandatory pitstop in the feature race. Want me to continue?

I disagree on your vision about pitstop strategy, too.
I have setups that last 30 laps, and I have setups that last 15 laps, both fuel and tire wise. Of those setups, about 70% of the 15 lap setups are actually faster over 30 laps including a fuel and tire pitstop than the 30 lap pitstops, because of the tirewear. Whereas I can maintain a steady 1:35.0 average laptime over 30 laps on the 15 lap sets, I can only manage a 1:36.4 average with the 30 lap set (this is an example, not telling you how fast I actually am). That's 30 * 1.4 seconds per lap. That's 42 seconds to make a pitstop and still be faster.

Also, most damage happens in the first lap of the race. So if you're gonna get damage before your pitstop, it's most likely going to be there before you finish lap 1. It is a bit of a gamble, but I think it is a good gamble to wait at least 3 laps with pitting. If you're going to get damage that takes a long time to repair it will affect handling anyway, so it may even be better to wait with the pitstop until you're no longer in traffic. Just so that in case you do get damage you won't lose extra time having to make an extra pitstop.

Pitting after lap 1 will give you the advantage of not having traffic for a while. But being at the back of the field gives you added danger of running into stranded cars. Especially with the no shift-s or reset car rules, the amount of spun cars that will be limping to the pits will be high. If you're by your onesies running at full speed, you might get overlooked by someone, or simply miss that one spinner that's trying to get back on track, and you're damaged again. Add to that the fact that your free run will be over once the others start to pit, and you find yourself in traffic once again.
Ok, we have 2 options...

1. No Pits Stops

2. pit lane opens between laps 15 - 20

What do you recon?
How about 1 stop in the 30 lapper?
Quote from TagForce :I think the Dutch Supercar Challenge mandates one pitstop. DTM also mandates at least 2 pitstops, and they have to change at least one tire.
GP2 Series has a mandatory pitstop. A1GP has a mandatory pitstop in the feature race. Want me to continue?

No, silly me...:doh:

However if what you are talking about your pitstop strategy is true. That you´re faster while making a pitstop then doesn´t that give you an unfair advantage? I mean you were gonna pit anyway so this rule doesn´t effect you at all but it costs everybody else 20 seconds.

Looks like everybody agrees with the forced pitstop rule so I´ll shut up. I´ll only say that if the forced pitstop has to done between laps 15-20 then that doesn´t mean you can´t pit on other laps to fix damage that might happen while crashes. Right?
ok so ..

1 pit stop
pit lane opens between lap 15 - 20?
Quote from Kalev EST :No, silly me...:doh:

However if what you are talking about your pitstop strategy is true. That you´re faster while making a pitstop then doesn´t that give you an unfair advantage? I mean you were gonna pit anyway so this rule doesn´t effect you at all but it costs everybody else 20 seconds.

Looks like everybody agrees with the forced pitstop rule so I´ll shut up. I´ll only say that if the forced pitstop has to done between laps 15-20 then that doesn´t mean you can´t pit on other laps to fix damage that might happen while crashes. Right?

I never looked at it that way. Maybe it is an advantage, but I wouldn't say it's an unfair advantage. On some races I would've made a pitstop anyway, yes. But that's just how my setups work. If you need to make a pitstop, you could alter your setup so the tires wear more, or adjust your driving style accordingly. I'm not really bothered by a mandatory pitstop or driving 30 laps without it. Pitstops just add that little bit of strategy to the race which I find a lot of fun.

As for the pit window. Maybe it shouldn't be so confined to halfway through the race. But to have a penalty for trying to win the race in the first corner it shouldn't be between laps 1 and 29 either. I'd say it should be allowed to pit after the leader has completed 6 laps, and before the leader has 5 laps to go. So that would be between laps 6 and 25.
Quote from TagForce : As for the pit window. Maybe it shouldn't be so confined to halfway through the race. But to have a penalty for trying to win the race in the first corner it shouldn't be between laps 1 and 29 either. I'd say it should be allowed to pit after the leader has completed 6 laps, and before the leader has 5 laps to go. So that would be between laps 6 and 25.

I agree with the larger pit window. But I also think you should be allowed to pit anytime you want, it just wont count as the mandatory pitstop when you do it in first or last 5 laps. Suppose you have a crash on the first lap and then you have to limp with a badly damaged car for many laps until you can do the pitstop. That wouldn´t work well.

Yes I know I promised to shut up...
You shouldn't let damage or the fear of damage effect your pit stop strategy - it should be decided by speed. You should pit when you are loosing time behind another car and it's for this reason that I hate compulsory stops because I play LFS for on track action - but tactically it is better to pit when you are unable to pass someone.

Then again, i'm not in your league.
I think it would just mess up the field and the traffic and the fights.
Quote from Kalev EST :I agree with the larger pit window. But I also think you should be allowed to pit anytime you want, it just wont count as the mandatory pitstop when you do it in first or last 5 laps. Suppose you have a crash on the first lap and then you have to limp with a badly damaged car for many laps until you can do the pitstop. That wouldn´t work well.

Yes I know I promised to shut up...

That's what I meant... Of course you should be allowed to pit at any time, but you will need to pit between laps 6 and 29 for it to count towards the mandatory stop.

Quote from Becky Rose :
You shouldn't let damage or the fear of damage effect your pit stop strategy - it should be decided by speed. You should pit when you are loosing time behind another car and it's for this reason that I hate compulsory stops because I play LFS for on track action - but tactically it is better to pit when you are unable to pass someone.

Then again, i'm not in your league.

Damage should, because if you have damage that needs fixing it would ruin your race if you did not change your strategy to deal with it. Fear of damage should not, I agree. However, taking the possibility into account may work for you, as you'll know what's the fastest way of coping with damage if it occurs.

Why aren't you in our league (apart from the fact you drive the FOX mostly)? You race fair enough (the few times I've been on track with you).
i did tons of 30lap races on bl1, and if u drive careful (w/o getting damaged) pitting in the last laps is much shorter cuz of the amount of fuel. it can really ruin a close race...
#21 - Jakg
remember, pitting on the last lap doesnt work anymore anyway because of one of the patches (was it a test one?)
#22 - arco
Quote from Jakg :remember, pitting on the last lap doesnt work anymore anyway because of one of the patches (was it a test one?)

It was in one of the test patches. In the current patch - U, it's allowed. But in the next patch - V?, it won't be allowed to pit in the last lap.
ok sounds good
you may pit anytime you like but does not count you
must pit between lap 6 and 26
Could you make a nice fresh thread where the final official rules and information is?
Quote from Blackout :Could you make a nice fresh thread where the final official rules and information is?

Yep that would be nice and the pass 4 tomorrow...

Pit Stop?
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG