The online racing simulator
Quote from Jakg :
EDIT - and on the subject of PC's, yet another laptop - this time a 13" MacBook Pro Retina to replace my 2011 13" i7 MacBook Pro.

Another day, another laptop...

2013 13" MacBook Pro Retina, this time with a Haswell i5, 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. Depressingly I had the last one 11 months which is actually a record for me...

The records now 10 laptops in a shade over 4 years
But I've heard you never need to upgrade Apple hardware because it's so superior.
Quote from Bose321 :But I've heard you never need to upgrade Apple hardware because it's so superior.

You don't. But when it breaks...

EDIT - 2nd faulty MacBook so far.
when a PC breaks...:rolleyes:

spoiler alert: they dont unless you physically BREAK it
Quote from P.Derast :But apple devices don't break, that's why they cost more then their windows counterparts.

1. If Apple devices don't break, why does he have a "2nd faulty MacBook so far"?
2. Did you know there are more PC operating systems, not just Windows?
Quote from Vojta7 :2. Did you know there are more PC operating systems, not just Windows?

Did you know that nobody uses them?
Quote from E.Reiljans :Did you know that nobody uses them?

Depends what demographic you refer to.

Hipster Architects - Mac

Reasonable Lawyer - Vista or 7

Graphic Designer - Forced to use Mac by company.

etc
Quote from BlueFlame :Depends what demographic you refer to.

Hipster Architects - Mac

Reasonable Lawyer - Vista or 7

Graphic Designer - Forced to use Mac by company.

etc

Thanks for the intelligent input there.
It's true though...
not troll....what pc operating systems are there? linux? anything else?
Quote from logitekg25 :not troll....what pc operating systems are there? linux? anything else?

OSX is a "PC Operating System".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems

Thousands of flavours of Linux (Ubunutu, Knoppix, Linux Mint, thinks like XBMCbuntu, and Unix (i.e. OSX is a derivative of Unix, also things like BSD, Solaris OS).

Theres a very good graph somewhere which shows the heirarchy (i.e. nodes linked to predecessors) which is very interesting but now I cannot find.
oh my never even....lol
Checking in a number of years since my last login...when you guys can, read through the first couple of pages. Makes for an interesting read to see what once was bleeding edge tech!

Here's my system, even though LFS never ran there:
http://www.sysprofile.de/id142352
My Italian only runs to wire colours for Italian vehicles, wonder why ?, but if I'm right, you may get a better OC if you just run the 2 4 gig ram simms.

Nice system though.
Quote from Racer X NZ :My Italian only runs to wire colours for Italian vehicles, wonder why ?

Wut?

Quote from Racer X NZ :
but if I'm right, you may get a better OC if you just run the 2 4 gig ram simms.

Nice system though.

Nope, tried that. Originally the system had just the two 2GB sticks, and the best reasonable overclock that I was able to obtain was the same 3.8 GHz.

4.0 was possible but I would have needed to up the voltage quite a bit.

Later last year I decided to upgrade to 8 GB of RAM since it was needed for a flight sim I use. This is when I decided to try and see if the system would run fine with both kits installed, and to my surprise it did, so I kept this rather odd but working configuration in place.
After having a Guzzi, with all it's electrical issues, I had learned enough Italian to sort out the electrical challenges. Namely, the wiring diagram.

The 4 gig sims have a higher speed, perhaps the board will pick that up and be faster, either way, it's a great setup. Both kit's will work, more than 8 gig, you may not notice the difference.
Finished my new build a little while ago. It's my daily 'work horse' machine, so it's not the prettiest thing on earth. I thought about going with a closed loop water cooling kit, but decided to stick with air cooling as I'm super sensitive to noise.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-4770K (Currently running at 4.2 GHz)
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H
RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 1600 MHz CL9
GFX: MSI GTX 780 Ti Twin Frozr
SSD: 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro
HDD: 2x 3 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
PSU: Corsair AX860
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

That looks fantastic!

EDIT - Any excuse for a (terrible) picture... now with added H100i after my H100 died. Shame I can't compete on the cable management front!

Is there no room for the cables or something?
Quote from Racer X NZ :After having a Guzzi, with all it's electrical issues, I had learned enough Italian to sort out the electrical challenges. Namely, the wiring diagram.

Makes sense now!

Quote from Racer X NZ :
The 4 gig sims have a higher speed, perhaps the board will pick that up and be faster, either way, it's a great setup. Both kit's will work, more than 8 gig, you may not notice the difference.

More or less: while both kits are made to run at 1600MHz, the 4GB kit has a lower latency, so when running both together I'm forced to go with the higher latency of the 8GB kit, but considering that I'd have to run both the 8GB configuration and the 12GB one at the same speed and latency, 12 makes sense.

Quote from wildstyle :Finished my new build a little while ago. It's my daily 'work horse' machine, so it's not the prettiest thing on earth. I thought about going with a closed loop water cooling kit, but decided to stick with air cooling as I'm super sensitive to noise.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-4770K (Currently running at 4.2 GHz)
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H
RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 1600 MHz CL9
GFX: MSI GTX 780 Ti Twin Frozr
SSD: 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro
HDD: 2x 3 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
PSU: Corsair AX860
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21012705/DSC_0037.jpg

That's got to be one of the tidiest systems I've ever seen!

Quote from Jakg :
EDIT - Any excuse for a (terrible) picture... now with added H100i after my H100 died. Shame I can't compete on the cable management front!

http://i.imgur.com/smSxfLM.jpg

What's your opinion on the H100 (and H100i) all-in-one solutions regarding cooling ability and noise/vibrations?
Quote from Fabri91 :What's your opinion on the H100 (and H100i) all-in-one solutions regarding cooling ability and noise/vibrations?

Performance - good

I had an H100 and was happy (...once I fixed the mounting bracket with some washers - without that it's rubbish). It broke (not happy), got a Coolermaster 240M - not as good. Then got an H100i - better still.

Noise of a cooler *should* be down to fans - but unfortunately both the H100 & H100i make a "humming" or "rattling" noise the 240M didn't. Not pleasant, but not annoying enough to make me go out and buy a new one.

I would of preferred to of gotten a Swiftech H220 / H320 though - but these are much much cheaper.
Quote from Jakg :Performance - good

I had an H100 and was happy (...once I fixed the mounting bracket with some washers - without that it's rubbish). It broke (not happy), got a Coolermaster 240M - not as good. Then got an H100i - better still.

Noise of a cooler *should* be down to fans - but unfortunately both the H100 & H100i make a "humming" or "rattling" noise the 240M didn't. Not pleasant, but not annoying enough to make me go out and buy a new one.

I would of preferred to of gotten a Swiftech H220 / H320 though - but these are much much cheaper.

The humming/rattling sound coming from the pump was the exact reason why I decided to stick with air cooling. Hopefully it's better on their new H105.
My H100 had a cavitating (noisy) pump aswell, but this H100i pump is dead silent. I can just barely hear an audible buzz when I literally stick my ear right on it.
Same here i have had a H50 wich rattled to (im sure its a bearing problem in the pump) Now i have a 2nd H110 wich is nice and silent. But the first one died in 5 minutes. (the h50 still works and is about 4 years old it ran 24/7)
When they work they are great

Post your "LFS" rig..
(3080 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG