The online racing simulator
what is LFS for anyway?
(24 posts, started )
what is LFS for anyway?
since 2006 when the aero bug was fixed and the dev team gifted us with a replica of a real F1 car, LFS has not changed in the physics department.

for some people, that is a problem. but that begs the question: what the heck is LFS for? for people who treat LFS like a game, they want to be entertained and to be entertained they like new things. a lot of variety.

for people who treat LFS like a simulator, they want depth, they want realism, they want to know that time spent on it gives results, and most of all they want serious competition.

for all you doomsayers and naysayers, just suck it up: the last time someone uploaded a new world record hotlap was yesterday, 27 september, 2013. up to this very moment people are still improving their setups, their skill and their knowledge of combos to improve in the LFS world. the simple fact that LFS content has been the same for years does nothing to diminish its value for people who use it like it was intended!

the analogy with real life is pretty straightforward: some people like to go to their local track with the same car race weekend after race weekend. they don't want an endless selection of new tracks and new stickers and paint jobs on their car all the time, they just want to improve their skill at racing and have fun competing with others.
From your distinction analysis I guess I belong to the sim-department. That's were the entertainment comes from in my oppinion. So I guess we're on the same track ! (or did I only read that between the lines?)
I fired up LFS for the first time in years the other day and had a go with the TBO class at Fern Bay Black, it was much like returning to something that felt akin to my own home track, with a familiar car, within' a few laps I was back in the groove and driving the wheels off my car damaging suspension parts bouncing off curbs and flat spotting tires braking at the absolute limit into corners. The thrill of LFS will never fade. Pure sports turbo cars disappeared right around the time LFS got big, and it let me keep the thrill alive a little longer with my deep desire to feel forced air engines pulling at peak power.

Almost 10 years later I still find myself searching for that thrill, although in my personal life I found it through turbocharged motorcycles and big displacement cars, it still fed fuel to that fire that burns deep within' anyone who remembers the era around CTRA TBO racing...

I guess what I'm saying is that LFS is timeless. I'm off to get a Fanatec CSR and put my new to me gaming rig together with an actual cockpit with hand brake and all. Maybe try out some of those complicated looking insim and outsim programs I've seen here over the years and really get the immersion level as high as possible. LFS is still one of the best that will ever be this popular.

Another useless thread...
close this thread pls. there are millions others with the same topic
#6 - Gazzz
Years of absence, and I see nothing but whinging and closed threads.

There's fkn nothing else happening in the world of LFS, so at least let us get nostalgic, for farkx sake.
^^ indeed, people are whining too much
Real life motorsport is entertainment as well, for both participants and spectators. It's not very constructive to pretend that we're superior beings compared to arcade players simply because some of us understand more real life vehicle dynamics and/or racing strategy.

If people could afford to build 30 different race tracks with 100 layouts for one city in real life, people will. One of the good things about simulation is you're not limited by economical constrains unless people deliberately simulate economics in the virtual events.
LFS is a POS. Who the hell would be stupid enough to waste their money on this game that looks and sounds like it was made 10 years ago by a couple of scammers who have been promising updates that never come?
Quote from Jshort :LFS is a POS. Who the hell would be stupid enough to waste their money on this game that looks and sounds like it was made 10 years ago by a couple of scammers who have been promising updates that never come?

There are no words to explain the lack of intelligence that you have displayed.
Quote from Jshort :LFS is a POS. Who the hell would be stupid enough to waste their money on this game that looks and sounds like it was made 10 years ago by a couple of scammers who have been promising updates that never come?

6/10, althought that could improve depending on the next replies

A couple of scammers? Just... lol.

You speak for yourself, buddy.
You nab! How dare ya insult devs?! You twat...
Quote from dawesdust_12 :There are no words to explain the lack of intelligence that you have displayed.

That's rich considering you've displayed a similar level of intelligence in iRacing threads here. Pot, meet kettle.

Having said that, Jshort is a complete arse, both here and on the iRacing forums. Nothing but a massive troll.

The pair of you should get a room. You'd get on great.
Quote from The Moose :That's rich considering you've displayed a similar level of intelligence in iRacing threads here. Pot, meet kettle.

Right, I haven't bought into the brainwashing so the truths I say about iRacing must make me a mindless idiot.

How are driver swaps? 4 years after they were "gonna be in next build, we promise!"?
Guys, this thread started off well. Don't ruin it.
But it's still hinged on "some people" and really seems to trivialize content updates. Content updates made of the very stuff he pretends is "good" about LFS.
I find the scammer comment amusing (and somewhat misguided). Scawen is the most inept businessman I've ever come across - he's basically an outright communist. Despite how bright he is I don't think he'd be able to figure out how to do a scam, and if he did he'd find a way of not making any money out of it.
Brilliant post.
Quote from Becky Rose :I find the scammer comment amusing (and somewhat misguided). Scawen is the most inept businessman I've ever come across - he's basically an outright communist. Despite how bright he is I don't think he'd be able to figure out how to do a scam, and if he did he'd find a way of not making any money out of it.

Fantastic post Becky
I might be frustrated at LFS' development speed, but there is NO question of it EVER having been a scam...
Scawen and Victor are top peeps
Quote from Jshort :game that looks and sounds like it was made 10 years ago :

Statement One, correct well done on your ability to look up LFS Wiki

Quote from Jshort :couple of scammers

Statement Two, WRONG...it would be 3 scammers, you obviously didn't look at LFS Wiki to deep did you...

Quote from Jshort :promising updates that never come?

Statement Three, again incorrect. They are always releasing updates. Just read the Test Thread or here if you wish

Sorry Mod's, I usually keep quiet, but just could not help myself with this one

Fordie
Quote from dawesdust_12 :There are no words to explain the lack of intelligence that you have displayed.

Man that's pretty bad if YOU can't come up with a reply....
Lfs, unlike any other game, has managed to bring so much joy & entertainment into my life for years, online & offline though, that I can't find any words to discribe how glad I am to have had spent so much time with it. It is a Part of my life and part of my personal history that I'm locking back to gladly and proudly, because I was there, had a great time and met a lot of great people that embraced the same passion for this game just like I did. After all, I think, it has turned out to be something different, something unique, and thus, only those who really and fully understand all the reasons behind all that, mostly obvious or ecplained by the devs, are entitled to have the ultimate experience, everytime another major patch hits the fan =)

what is LFS for anyway?
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG