The online racing simulator
Okay indeed...

Quote :I need at least 60fps to have smooth gameplay.

Unless you have a 120Hz monitor, more than that does nothing for you
Any S3? why nobody news about S3? no coming no update?? Is coming end in 2013@ LFS news say end in 2012? what fake?
Quote from GT4_PL :Any S3? why nobody news about S3? no coming no update?? Is coming end in 2013@ LFS news say end in 2012? what fake?

Eric is working on new tracks, which scawen enjoyed driving
Quote from vipex123 :Really?

I drove the entire GT1WS season with less than 20 FPS.

yea right....
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :

Unless you have a 120Hz monitor, more than that does nothing for you

Untrue. Your eyes do not see a difference but when you have an interactive image that ultimately you dictate you notice a big difference in control input latencies etc.
Quote from vipex123 :
I drove the entire GT1WS season with less than 20 FPS.

Wow so awesome! May I have your autograph? (not really needed if you can only draw a X).

Thanks for promoting 20 FPS, thats extremely helpful.
Quote from BlueFlame :Untrue. Your eyes do not see a difference but when you have an interactive image that ultimately you dictate you notice a big difference in control input latencies etc.

This. Wouldn't say a big difference though, but it doesn't have to be a big difference for you to notice it if you don't have it.
Real men only need 20 FPS......

And talking on this subject, real men can deal with lag, which, coming from lag city down under, it would be great if you euro people could accept as being our reality.
And, FYI, many of us drive accepting this reality.
This means that we give extra distance, and try to race cleanly, giving extra space and time to those around us.
Shame we get banned simply because of our location.
Yes indeed a shame that there is no redirection possible to a different server which has better network characteristics. Could go on for hours what is missing to fix these kind of problems but luckily we now have 3D so it's now possible to experience a lag hit in depth

You exaggerate a bit Racer X NZ, if you drive sensible and are extra careful you don't get any ban. Like you haven't any (don't know about other servers)... Anyway, without redirection it's very difficult to setup more/other servers in other parts of the world because people tend to connect to busier servers. It also prevents LFS to get a more global popularity in my opinion.
Quote from Scawen :Test with a multiplayer replay - is the frame rate a lot higher when you press pause? In that case maybe the physics is the problem and you don't need to reduce the Graphics Options.

When I pause, FPS @ MPR replay is slightly higher (by ~ 20-25). By the way, thanks for the reply!
Quote from vipex123 :Are you trying to insult my intelligence?

Again assumptions, for some reason trolls are really good at making assumptions. Good luck with that

Quote from vipex123 :
https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=82243

Saw that one coming from miles also. One or two people from another continent is less of a problem then when you get ten of them. Problem is I need to explain -everything- again and again for people like you. Disappointing.

* But I don't like to do these extreme measurements, however I was forced to do so because there are no other solutions. Is that logic understandable? Sadly I only know Dutch, English, German and French but luckily we now have vipex123 which can voluntarily communicate Spanish and Portuguese explaining that some individuals are causing a problem because of their geographic location. Great guy

Quote from [Audi TT] :
You turn off the your server for one day.

already did that for a full week earlier this year, it wasnt a success. Try to keep up with developments. Thanks.
Honestly, must you all continue to ruin a nice ****ing thread!
Quote from Flame CZE :He said he'd tested "two of his new tracks", so I assume there are more than 2 new tracks, but I can be wrong

I like your thinking.

Good to hear that stuff is still being done, picking LFS up again when there is some new content.
hats off, Fordman! it made my day to read Scawen's post and i'm glad i was wrong that he wouldn't repeat his message

regarding open source, there only needs to be 1 open source racing simulator??? everyone just develop that. i was going to mention TORCS which btw has been forked a few times so i fail to see the advantage to be gained with LFS. Dave has the most realistic suggestion of doing some smaller improvements but i'd be afraid of the lost control.

regarding fps btw in case you don't know LFS input processing is not affected by your fps. 120 "fps" on a 60hz monitor is 100% no different than 60 fps! sorry this is logic haha.

regarding 3D: having done the shutter glasses, it was cool but honestly we all need to wait a little longer for the hardware to catch up. imo rift will change the market after becoming a big hit and forcing a hardware technology rev.

as for your news, Scawen, it's good to hear you've made a choice about the future of our sim. it must have been hard to give up the quest for the holy grail of "total realism", at least for this next version i guess. having been late to the LFS party, this is my first experience with hearing from the developer of something i really care about in a forum that feels a bit like home. it's really cool congrats on kicking the smoking habit, that makes two of us!

i'm with a bunch of others here in saying "take my money" for the next version.

LFS is dead! long live LFS!
Quote from CarlLefrancois :
regarding fps btw in case you don't know LFS input processing is not affected by your fps. 120 "fps" on a 60hz monitor is 100% no different than 60 fps! sorry this is logic haha.

I don't know about the inputs, but the outputs are affected for sure. I can tell you when the framerate is below 30~35 just feeling the force feedback.
Quote from Whiskey :I don't know about the inputs, but the outputs are affected for sure. I can tell you when the framerate is below 30~35 just feeling the force feedback.

you're right. when i put too many ai cars the steering feedback can be sluggish ... my bad!
oh and anyone saying the graphics need to be updated, make sure you updated your textures. with a community-made high res texture pack, there really isn't anything missing detail-wise from LFS compared to iracing for example.
Quote from CarlLefrancois :oh and anyone saying the graphics need to be updated, make sure you updated your textures. with a community-made high res texture pack, there really isn't anything missing detail-wise from LFS compared to iracing for example.

High res textures are one thing but it would by also nice to see good shadows and lighting system and other DX9 / 10 feutures, not saying about DX11 (tesselation etc.).
Looks like I'm going to limit my FPS to 20 on LFS.
Never noticed any difference in any game with any controller as long as frame rate is above about 20fps. Never noticed any controller lag in any game ever either.
Makes me happy to see that LFS isn't actually dead, as we all thought.

However this is one of the things that make me prefer developing companies over "private" projects like this. Things are done faster, usually.

Anyway, looking forward to the new stuff. As always, great report Scawen
This thread is closed

Nobody has asked outright....so guess I will
(467 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG