The online racing simulator
Especially those two new tracks sounds very promising Thanks for posting this report Scawen!
please teasers of these fantastic tracks Erics been spending the last decade making.
Thanks for the honest update of what's going on
Love to hear news!

Quote from Scawen : I'm not sure how much it will benefit the Oculus Rift at the moment. I think that depends on a pixel shader to provide the proper distortion, which I think is not available in D3D8. Anyway, one of the output options will be non-squashed (full) side-by-side 3D, which may possibly make it easier to use the Oculus Rift. Anyway it is a step in that direction. It does appear that the current Oculus Rift's resolution is too low for a racing simulator at the moment. Anyway I should be able to post a 3d test patch in a few days, I'm guessing early next week. Some people will enjoy that, though I realise most people, like me, don't have 3d equipment.

Would it help if you had a Rift dev kit? I might be willing to part with mine to get LFS fully supported and ready for the consumer Rift version. Free of cost to you of course.
You did it Fordie
Thanks for that post, it gave me more hope about update
Thanks for the report Scawen.

Quote from Scawen :Eric has been working on new tracks. He slowed up a bit during some of the great English summer which we don't get very often. I have enjoyed test driving on two of his new tracks which look great and I look forward to the time when they can be released.

Are these laser scanned or fictional?
Good to read your message Scawen! I am not a frequent user of 3D-eqipment although I have the possibility to test via TV. Will be fun to try out though, and as the developer you are, I understand the curiosity and drive for implementing such a feature. Always learn something in the process that can be valuable further down the road. Will be great for those that enjoy it!

Interesting to hear a few(?) new tracks are underway. Will be a pleasant contribution to an already superb library of tracks!

Keep up the good work and good luck with the physics (and not just the cycling/running )!
Scawen, you have made my day by reading your "progress report". Glad to hear that LFS will have 3D support! I had a few opportunities to watch 3D movies and everything flies at you! Im also glad to hear that you are alive and still programming
Quote from Scawen :
Victor is still with us, although he has indeed got another job, which looks like a really good one, putting his excellent skills to more use. I'm pleased for him about that, as his job here wasn't often really full time, although he is an absolutely vital member of our team. He needed a job as well because our profit share isn't one third each and depends on our actual contributions to the project. Victor started later and never has so much work, so for that reason only, his profit share was a bit of a tight squeeze to live on, specially with the gradual reduction in profits while we are waiting for a serious update.

It's actually pretty fun to hear about some of his exploits from his new job, along with discussing the various tasks he's had to do. Being a web developer now myself for the last 4 years, there's these tasks that it seems everyone ends up doing at some point, so it's interesting to hear how Vic is getting on with some of it. I'm still astounded (and impressed) that he's done all the great web work in LFS without using jQuery.

Good to hear some progress Scawen. It's a shame that Oculus Rift support isn't in the cards. That said, people have gotten it to work with various workarounds (hacked d3d8.dll in LFS directory). The only thing that is truely messed up is that it's relied on Freetrack for headtracking, where native support would allow for auto-centering and such.
Quote from Scawen :Hello everyone!...

Well, now that is a nice surprise. Thanks for the progress report.
3D-support? nothing i'm interested in but surely great for others
new Tracks? do want
Good news (for us) that the money is drying up!
Quote from Scawen :You've heard it all before so I don't expect great enthusiasm.

About every year, it's almost government style.

I think the most people look out to these two new tracks (I suppose artificial onces) and I hope they can be released befóre tire physics. Or 3D support. Lots of buzz about 3D but in real it's more an hype then actual functionality.

If possible this year, people get fed up with waiting and hearing same stories over and over again.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Good news (for us) that the money is drying up!

Sadly but true, money pressure leading to a half (or is it almost) finished physics after this huge wait is not a bad thing for the community at all. I just hope that they are good enough to not be in the To-Do list for a few years so LFS can improve on other areas.

I'm still waiting for brake temps and other things that I think are easy to implement.
Thanks <33333333333333333333
Good to hear from you and the guys. Glad you decided to stick to developing the tyre model instead of release a development piece for the entire mass of users to betatest. Keep it up!
Just release the freaking open source already. Should have been done 4 years ago.
Let dedicated people actually develop this game.
Thank you for this report, Scawen!
Quote from Whiskey :Sadly but true, money pressure leading to a half (or is it almost) finished physics after this huge wait is not a bad thing for the community at all. I just hope that they are good enough to not be in the To-Do list for a few years so LFS can improve on other areas.

I'm still waiting for brake temps and other things that I think are easy to implement.

I would not say "sadly". Part of the human condition (it is certainly part of mine) is that deadlines are a great motivation to complete. "It's done when it's done" didn't do Duke Nukem any good, did it?

I doubt that the dev team would rush out any old rubbish safe in the knowledge that they could hoover up 3-5,000 S3 payments in a weekend. I think they have too much pride in their project for that.
Quote from LazLoW :Just release the freaking open source already. Should have been done 4 years ago.
Let dedicated people actually develop this game.

Yes, becuase we're all experts on tyre physics (and general car dynamics). Scawen, who has spent the last 10 years of his life (at least) studying tyre physics and associated things, knows nothing about it at all but we will be able to figure it out in a weekend.

Right?

No. LFS shouldn't be open sourced. We all knew what we were paying for from the start. If you didn't understand that, then you should learn to read, and then proceed to read the licence agreement you agreed to when you purchased LFS.

Scawen knows what he's doing. He's like Kimi, except with longer hair and a bicycle instead of Vodka.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Yes, becuase we're all experts on tyre physics (and general car dynamics). Scawen, who has spent the last 10 years of his life (at least) studying tyre physics and associated things, knows nothing about it at all but we will be able to figure it out in a weekend.

Right?

No. LFS shouldn't be open sourced. We all knew what we were paying for from the start. If you didn't understand that, then you should learn to read, and then proceed to read the licence agreement you agreed to when you purchased LFS.

Scawen knows what he's doing. He's like Kimi, except with longer hair and a bicycle instead of Vodka.

Seriously? You're gonna twist my words that hard?
Obviously it would be sorted out in a weekend if it was open source.
Wrong.
I don't expect anything to get done in a weekend buddy, but I don't expect any progress from a few guys that obviously don't care about the proper development of this game. Are you even all that interested in slightly tweaked tyre physics? I for one could really care less. They're good as they are. Add some tracks. Some content. Some proper updates that keep proper players interested. Weather, timecycle, and free-roam areas.
Tyre physics, a track or two. And that's S3? C'mon, where's your aspirations man. This sim won't become amazing because of a couple parameter changes. It needs an overhaul. Badly.

Never once have I had such a deep personal "irk" with development before. I love this sim so much. It deserves so much more. No matter how you see it, LFS is neglected.

P.S: telling us 10 months into a year that you "haven't really made serious progress this year." is sign that open source is exactly what this sim needs.
lol pff 3d, who cares about that !

Make it rain, make it dark, new tracks and cars and You can sell S3 for 50$

That price is ridiculous btw, it's like 10 years old ! iRacing rakes in 100$ for yearly subscriptions and stuff + like the price of LFS for a single car and a track.

Just trying to motivate You guys You do have a project worth millions in Your hands, need to price it right, need to sell it right, need to work on the right things. A stupid chatbox colouring bug or 3d stuff, is not what makes LFS.
Quote from Scawen :Hello everyone!

Thanks to hear you (at least one of you )

Note that we are ready to pay for your work , be sure of that , as the quality of sim has always been present, and will be !
:rally_dri
Quote from Storm_Cloud :I would not say "sadly". Part of the human condition (it is certainly part of mine) is that deadlines are a great motivation to complete. "It's done when it's done" didn't do Duke Nukem any good, did it?

I doubt that the dev team would rush out any old rubbish safe in the knowledge that they could hoover up 3-5,000 S3 payments in a weekend. I think they have too much pride in their project for that.

I agree with you, but I find it kind of frustating that after all the effort Scawen has put into looking for "perfection" instead of going for the easy way is going to (probably) turn around and make some compromises that would have speed up the release monthos/years ago...

Although reading Scawen's post makes me feel like the compromises that he needs to do are not that bad at this point, but only he knows the expected realism he was aiming for.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :No. LFS shouldn't be open sourced.

Yes it should be, apart from these track releases which shall give some boost, I don't expect LFS to have a long phosphorous life in the long run. Not enough is happening for that, that also isn't possible with a two men team.

Best possible thing is to open source parts and let the community do their creativity. The team also gets older, much older. Power decreases. It's a natural phenomenon which is not possible to fight.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Scawen knows what he's doing. He's like Kimi, except with longer hair and a bicycle instead of Vodka.

You worship too much, when you get a bit older you will understand that superheroes are temporarily and groups always move on to select a fresh one. Kimi will end his professional career in a few years, Scawen/Eric will do a shift in life goals aswell.
This thread is closed

Nobody has asked outright....so guess I will
(467 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG