The online racing simulator
#51 - col
Quote from Fordman :
I / WE are not looking for details... just a sincere confirmation that LFS S3 will be, and is being worked on...

It would be good to know what's up. I sincerely hope everything is OK with Scawen and family, and with Vic, Eric and Geraldine. That everyone is in good health, and there hasn't been some sort of crisis.

I know it's none of our business one way or the other, so I'll just say - Keep on rocking Scavier.
#52 - col
Maybe a clue to the recent silence lies here.
will be nice if devs share some patch just to refresh the game because everything and everybody will "die"...
Quote from col :Maybe a clue to the recent silence lies here.

Well, Victor doesn't develop the tyre physics anyway. And as far as I know, he hasn't stopped maintaining the websites.
Quote from Flame CZE :Well, Victor doesn't develop the tyre physics anyway. And as far as I know, he hasn't stopped maintaining the websites.

Aw snap son. Victor doesnt work on LFS now, he maintains the websites. But he was working on LFS when making the sounds iirc.
As far as I know, he only made the music. The car sound algorithm was done by Scawen. And if you mean the in-game sounds, I don't know about it, but that must have been a one-time job, LFS didn't add new ingame sounds for a long time.

Plus he has been maintaining the LFS sites since ever, nothing new about it.
Thanks for refreshing my memories Flame. Now I know why I hear a strange voice in the song "nowhere" in the lfs music addon. Also theres ultra stomper which is my personal favourite song :3

PS: [offtopic] lol @ 2nd "hue" link in your sig [/offtopic]

All Victor does with LFS is maintain/develop the web services. AFAIK the web stuff runs fairly solid, and any "bugs" need LFS-side fixes as well.

Somehow I don't think Vic can justify drinking wine all day and going "well, the websites are all running!" as a full time job.

Although, he might wish he could. More GTAV time for him!
At the kart meet I think the general thing he was saying then though was the same lines that Flame posted, the physics are nothing to do with him and he's fairly limited in what he can do while he waits for that. The websites etc could be improved but it doesn't make or break the game, the game itself does that. I guess it's almost waiting for the right moment, there's no point to release something and it become almost instantly stale at the wrong moment, because people will end up complaining again before too long if nothing else follows it.

This thread is totally pointless btw. The choice of whether they should try to keep people in the loop or give them something to try to keep the game active and improving regularly(1 relatively small update per year, or security issue fixes don't really count) while the physics are waiting was something that if they were going to do should have been done years ago. If you're tired and bored, take 1 of the other games that are out there and play them, and enjoy LFS for what it was/is.
Quote from IsaacPrice :At the kart meet I think the general thing he was saying then though was the same lines that Flame posted, the physics are nothing to do with him and he's fairly limited in what he can do while he waits for that. The websites etc could be improved but it doesn't make or break the game, the game itself does that. I guess it's almost waiting for the right moment, there's no point to release something and it become almost instantly stale at the wrong moment, because people will end up complaining again before too long if nothing else follows it.

This thread is totally pointless btw. The choice of whether they should try to keep people in the loop or give them something to try to keep the game active and improving regularly(1 relatively small update per year, or security issue fixes don't really count) while the physics are waiting was something that if they were going to do should have been done years ago. If you're tired and bored, take 1 of the other games that are out there and play them, and enjoy LFS for what it was/is.

Well said m8
Plus being a member since 2003 does not give a person any more rights than a person who joined today, I reckon that S3 will be ready when its ready, it would be nice to no how scawen is getting on with the updates but i personally enjoy the game as it is and when s3 comes it will be a bonus.
Have a nice day to all fellow LFS menmbers.
#63 - col
Quote from IsaacPrice :...the physics are nothing to do with him and he's fairly limited in what he can do while he waits for that. The websites etc could be improved but it doesn't make or break the game, the game itself does that...

I'm well aware that Vic develops the website and not the core game (I've been here since the days when the forum was on racesimcentral, it would be pretty difficult not to be aware of the devs individual roles).
The reason I posted the link to i3D is because IMO there's a big difference between 'working on other projects' while waiting for the physics, and becoming an employee of another company. AFAIK this is a new development, and I wonder if it changes things. Of course it's possible that Vic is just working part time for i3D and has a 'return to LFS' clause in his contract.... who knows
Quote :

If you read Fordman's post properly, you would see that he isn't tired or bored, and he does seem to be enjoying KFS for what it is - he's recently been one of the more active racers and been hosting races. He is not asking 'when' or complaining, or telling Scawen how to do his job, or threatening to leave...

He's asking if LFS is still being actively developed.
(I guess this might be because he's itching to work on some more event hosting ideas, but knows this would be a waste of time and effort if the development of LFS is on hold.)

If anyone deserves an answer to this question it would be someone like Fordman who has been involved since the start, and has always been respectful to the devs, and supporting of the game.
IIRC, the loading/splash screen for one of the early versions of the game featured a car with FORDMAN on the registration plate ?!
I don't really see how the thread is that different from other threads. Most questions have been asked and answered before, or decided they can't be answered.

Is this still a full time job for the devs: Scawen is the 1 who is working on the physics, and guess what - https://www.lfsforum.net/showt ... php?p=1742751#post1742751

I'm pretty sure that post answers why this thread is pointless too. Maybe things have changed since then, it was a long time ago but he said he wouldn't check the forum once he went back to that stuff, so there isn't a reason to think otherwise
The problem is not in LFS itself nor its development.

PR is the problem. I guess everyone would act very differently if there was at least one person working as an employee in this section.
Quote from Scawen :It's like seeing a pothole in the road when I'm driving. I don't want it there, but I can just swerve around it and don't think twice.

One day you will find the road is nothing but potholes and have no choice but to go through some of them and face the inevitable. Sometimes taking some time to fix the potholes is worth it in the long run because if you let the road turn into nothing but potholes, nobody will want to drive down that road ever again. Sure you can make a brand new road, but it won't be the same after everyone has left town because they were tired of waiting on the repairman to replace the road or apply some temporary but necessary fixes.
To continue from my previous post. Yes you will have some people that won't leave town for various reasons and you will get some visitors that pass through still, stop and maybe stay a little while but it just won't be the same as before.
Since i picked up my S2 licence some time ago, I've managed to move house 6 times, get divorced, leave the armed forces and bury several family members.......

Same period of time LFS gets a couple of updates, there's only so many times you can run car x on track y before you can do it in your sleep.

Maybe my grand children will be playing S3.

I hope LFS isn't dead, or worse, becoming the driving equivalent of Duke Nukem but if it looks dead, acts dead and sounds dead.......it's probably dead.
Quote from col :If you read Fordman's post properly, you would see that he isn't tired or bored, and he does seem to be enjoying KFS for what it is - he's recently been one of the more active racers and been hosting races. He is not asking 'when' or complaining, or telling Scawen how to do his job, or threatening to leave...

He's asking if LFS is still being actively developed.
(I guess this might be because he's itching to work on some more event hosting ideas, but knows this would be a waste of time and effort if the development of LFS is on hold.)

If anyone deserves an answer to this question it would be someone like Fordman who has been involved since the start, and has always been respectful to the devs, and supporting of the game.
IIRC, the loading/splash screen for one of the early versions of the game featured a car with FORDMAN on the registration plate ?!

Thanks for that Col, and yeah your totally right, I am enjoying LFS,( due to having three screen working ) but yeah, after all these years, LFS is still the game I return to, every night and as much as time allows....still after 11yrs, but I know I am not the only one, and to be fair, it's not just me that deserve's an answer, its the whole (active or non active) community of LFS

As long as the master server is taking connections and people are racing.....I will still be here

Glad somebody took the time to read it properly
Quote from Fordman :deserve's an answer

but he did answer. he just isn't going to repeat his answer.
Quote from edge3147 :One day you will find the road is nothing but potholes and have no choice but to go through some of them and face the inevitable. Sometimes taking some time to fix the potholes is worth it in the long run because if you let the road turn into nothing but potholes, nobody will want to drive down that road ever again. Sure you can make a brand new road, but it won't be the same after everyone has left town because they were tired of waiting on the repairman to replace the road or apply some temporary but necessary fixes.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly..Scawen sounds arrogant as hell....

He is like: "This is my game, I will develope it as long as I want and everyone who asks about development = moaner. So I will just develop it and as long as I alone know whats going on = that's allright with me, he says..."
Quote : I really can't think of a better way to make a living than to continue on this. It's a good way to work and It's not finished yet anyway.

He forgets and oversees the whole community, meaning of pr and communication with comminuty, the ones who are providing him the living he is speaking about...

And what the hell is this:
Quote :If people want to suffer, that's ok and it's their problem, not mine.

Quote :Nothing I could do to stop that really. Even releasing a version of S3 wouldn't stop the moaners, three months later they'd be back saying the devs may be dead, or the devs now live beside a beach or the devs have taken up employment elsewhere.

what is that guy thinking
#72 - col
Quote from Californian :Yeah, my thoughts exactly..Scawen sounds arrogant as hell....blah... blah... blah

The whole point of this thread is to ask a simple question without complaining. You're WAY off topic.
It's not about putting the Devs down, it's simply asking, should we continue hosting, supporting, raving about.

Or, should we accept that LFS is where it is, continue enjoying what it is, but, put our efforts and future into something else.

I do a lot of RBR, do the original Dev's support that, DUH.

Does it's community keep it going, release new tracks, cars, physics etc. Yes they do.

Why, because its the best rally sim released.

The only reason people don't do the same with LFS is respect for the Dev's, if there is no further official support, then say so.
That's not an issue, then the community can then choose it's direction.

Sirocco, it's getting towards classic status already, who cares about yet another front wheel drive box.
Rockingham, well, cool. What that has to do with the tyre physics escapes me completely.

If Scrawen etc want to do something else, best wishes for the future.

But let the community loose with the project, you've made your money, you'll make more money from each licence sold, let the community carry out track, graphics work.

Lfs already deals with RW drive far better that RBR, so give the community a chance to put their expertise into the other areas.

Failing that, a simple 'I'm alive' post would be appreciated. As someone who runs an IT company, If I followed the Devs rules and feedback, I'd still be telling people that Dos 3.11 was the way to go !
Quote from col :The whole point of this thread is to ask a simple question without complaining. You're WAY off topic.

To col:

It is just conversation, the questions have not been answered before and if you are so naive that you are still believing into geting your answers from developers, please continue on that path....

It seems silly to "respect" devs when they clearly do not have any respect for the LFS community and the people who paid for their game and would most likely to pay for the promised future versions of it....or how should we adress this issue of silense?

Racer X NZ, you said it right...
#75 - col
Quote from Californian :To col:

It is just conversation... blah blah blah...

Total BS, What you did was not 'conversation', it was just a feeble attempt to turn a thread with value into another pointless 'lets attack the devs' slagging fest.
This thread is closed

Nobody has asked outright....so guess I will
(467 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG