The online racing simulator
Quote from Bose321 :No, I would buy an iPad for that.

Poor choice. The surface is 3 times as heavy as an iPad.

Not to mention the iPad would be in your hands more than weighing down paper.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Poor choice. The surface is 3 times as heavy as an iPad.

That might be, but the iPad would only be useful as a paper weight.

But wait, not even for that according to you.
Yeah, it's a shame that the iPad would be useful for so many other things that use as a paperweight wouldn't even come into play.
Quote from Jakg :
I don't really like tablets

I think this sums it up.
Quote from Jakg :
It's also nice that you get Windows "stuff" like networking, NTFS sym links etc.

That's great for sure. Especially in the Windows networks at my school for example. That should work great.
Quote from Jakg :However... it's a rubbish PC.

But it isn't a PC.
Quote from Jakg :You obviously can't run any apps on there

Can you run OS X apps on an iPad?
Quote from Jakg :iOS is still *the* tablet OS as far as i'm concerned.

I'd rather take Android, but that's my opinion.

I think the biggest 'problem' is that people expect it to be some kind of small PC/slate, but it isn't. It's just a tablet, but one that's actually useful. It has a brilliant design and I love Windows 8. When I'm on Windows 8 on my laptop I use the modern UI a lot, so I'm not going to miss to run apps on the desktop. Besides, I have a laptop and desktop for that.

For what I am going to use it for, it will be perfect I think.
Except for one of the largest Microsoft network features, Active Directory, isn't supported on the Surface.

Also, with the iPad you actually do have native, ARM compiled applications running. In Windows RT, you are only able to run HTML/JS apps. JS is fast, but it still pales in comparison to the speed of native code.

It's Microsoft's fault that people expect the RT tablets to be something that they're not. They propositioned it as a laptop with their cases, and then proceeded to leave in the Desktop UI. It's not a hard leap to assume that it should function as a desktop Windows machine.

Microsoft needed to either ditch classic UI entirely on RT, and actually buck up and make true Metro Office; or they needed to embrace the classic UI as a first class citizen and allow apps to be compiled and targeted towards it (and published on the marketplace).

Instead, in typical Microsoft fashion, they managed to do the wrong things for both. Leave in Desktop UI, Make Office the only non-OS application that can run there, and overall make the experience confusing and deceiving.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Poor choice. The surface is 3 times as heavy as an iPad.

The Surface is a little bigger, although no way is it 3x heavier

(of course, 10" and even 10.6" tablets are all way too big!)
Quote from Bose321 :Can you run OS X apps on an iPad?

No, but iOS has some apps at least.

A Microsoft rep was talking to me about Windows 8 (before RT was launched) - they know the app store sux and they don't care, Windows has the highest number of apps on any platform, the store is meant for only the highest quality apps and even if they only have 10 apps, they still have more than all the mobile platforms put together. Sound logic, but falls down on the RT front...
Quote from dawesdust_12 :
Microsoft needed to either ditch classic UI entirely on RT, and actually buck up and make true Metro Office

Bearing in mind the changes that Office 2013 came to bring it "in line" with the rest of their products, and that it was launched *after* Windows 8 and even excludes a lot of older OS', it's very jarring that you do everything in the Modern UI on the Surface, but the Office apps jump straight to the desktop and really aren't optimised for touch!
I've been using an iPad 4 at work all week and I still don't understand what they're for, or why people want them.

Plus they are shit slow.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I've been using an iPad 4 at work all week and I still don't understand what they're for, or why people want them.

Plus they are shit slow.

I use mine for a variety of (strange) purposes. I often use an app that will allow me to add my iPad as a virtual display, which is useful for when I am working and want a 3rd display.

Other times I use Prompt to make emergency changes to my server, or sometimes even put sites live for work.

I've come across Kodiak JS and Kodiak PHP which provide nice little test beds to write PHP or JS when I'm on the road/ferry and curious/bored and want to mess around.

Then there's Safari, the application that I use to execute most of my trolling plays.

Then Palaver for IRC (and IM as well using Bitlbee running on my VPS).

I've found a lot of various apps for different things. Then there's some games that are very fun as well. FPS games don't work too well, but it's good for playing the odd casual game while taking a dump.
Pad is like retarded laptop.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :... Other times I use Prompt to make emergency changes to my server, or sometimes even put sites live for work.

I've come across Kodiak JS and Kodiak PHP ...

Then there's Safari, the application that I use to execute most of my trolling plays.

Then Palaver for IRC (and IM as well using Bitlbee running on my VPS). ...

Yeah there are SSH terminal apps for Android but that doesn't make my phone a desirable device to use for remote server admin.

It seems to me the iPad is really just a browser. There's the occasional really nice, very specific app - like (for me) using it as a controller in Logic or using iRealB for jazz jams or whatever, but day-to-day it's a box with a browser in it.
Quote from thisnameistaken :but day-to-day it's a box with a browser in it.

Isn't that what most devices have become though? Short of developer tasks which require compilers/IDE's (and all the web IDE's suck) and real games, most
tasks have become browser based, or at least able to be done entirely in a web browser.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :most tasks have become browser based, or at least able to be done entirely in a web browser.

That's why I've been using an iPad at work - someone decided our product management web client should work on mobile devices. It does (although the UI could be improved a lot) but the iPad is still a stupid tool to use for it.

I suppose anything that involves input is a bad job to have to do on an iPad.
Quote from Matrixi :because mechanical keyboard addiction

*Cough cough* About that...

Duckys flagship, Shine 3 YOTS edition, white backlight/MX Blue switches. One of the 999 units made with aluminium body so it's pretty rare especially with nordic layout. Had to part with mucho dineros for this one.
The button between CTRL+ALT looks like a Hyena humping a chicken
I'm thinking about getting a Corsair Vengeance K70 Anodized Black. Does anyone know if they're any good?

I believe it uses red switches. I've been told they're good for gaming, but not so much for typing. I currently use some Logicrap keyboard with rubber domes, would it be any better?

http://www.corsair.com/en/gami ... ized-black-na-layout.html

I love the looks of it, and the backlight can be controlled for every key, which is a cool feature I think. I wish it had RGB LEDs, but you can't have it all. It's around 130 euro's here, which is a shitload of money for a keyboard I think, but would it be worth trying? I can always return it if it's crap.
dont get the "hype" about keyboards.
ive got a logitech keyboard which cost me 2,50€ brandnew...3 years old and still perfectly good
Quote from Bose321 :I'm thinking about getting a Corsair Vengeance K70 Anodized Black. Does anyone know if they're any good?

I'm using one right now, and I have to admit I can't stand the red switches. There's zero feedback when the contact is made, even rubber domes on flat scissor keyboards feel better IMO. Then again, it's a very personal thing which switches you like. Go try some mechanical boards out in a store if you want to avoid going through 4 keyboards like I did before finding the switch that you find the best.

My best advice would be this: wait for the K70 MX Brown version, those are the most beginner friendly switches.

Quote from [RCG]Boosted :dont get the "hype" about keyboards.
ive got a logitech keyboard which cost me 2,50€ brandnew...3 years old and still perfectly good

If you do a lot of typing or programming, or just work on your keyboard in general, then you'll love a mechanical. You also can't judge them if you haven't tried one live, the feel is completely different to rubber domes.
I'll have to find a store that still sells physical stuff then. All I could find in those large stores are the usual crappy rubber dome keyboards...
If you want to try MX Blues atleast (my personal fav) then check if there's any Razer Blackwidows around to test. It's a shit keyboard, but atleast they're pretty common for testing. Logi G710+ is also very common for MX Brown testing.
Quote from Matrixi :If you do a lot of typing or programming, or just work on your keyboard in general, then you'll love a mechanical. You also can't judge them if you haven't tried one live, the feel is completely different to rubber domes.

They aren't for everyone - I tried one but didn't really get on with it, lucky I had a go before parting with £££!

Having said that I think I personally prefer the cheap keyboards that come free with Lenovo / HP PC's etc!
True, then again there are kind of mechanical hybrids like Topres that are kind of a middle ground between rubber dome and your usual Cherry MX feel. There's pretty much a keyboard for anyone if you dig deep and do enough research.

But if you don't mind rubber domes, there's nothing wrong with that either. Even something like Logi Illuminated (rubber dome+scissors) feels pretty darn good.

No more having to use mouse or buttons to look around

Temporary music solution for the car
Two packs of these (similiar)

Already went through 7 of them, with these results..
Goddamn impossible i tell ya.

Post your Last Purchase!
(7003 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG