The online racing simulator
iRacing with offical Oculus Rift support?
(17 posts, started )
Just saw this post on reddit.

https://pay.reddit.com/r/oculu ... cial_oculus_rift_support/

Can somebody confirm this?
If this is true, i think it should be clear for everybody how important this device is.
When the high res prototyp or at least the consumer version comes out, all 3 monitor setups can be thrown away.

Oculus Rift is not a gimmick, it seems to be the future for games! Pls devs spent 300 bucks for a Rift and implement native support!

Thank you.

P.S.: There are rumors that the rFactor devs ordered a Rift too (sorry can´t find the link)
Assetto Corsa also will have native Oculus Rift support as well.

The only thing that (for some people, myself exempt) sucks about the Oculus Rift is it only has rotation support. Currently there are devices (TrackIR) that support true 6DOF (x/y/z rotation and translation in x/y/z space). The Rift doesn't have any reference points, and is unable to do translation.

As such, you would never be able to (for instance) turn your head and body around to "look over the back seat" when reversing, or move your head closer/further to the side window to adjust your view angle. That said, it's a bit of a moot point when talking about a race car where you're strapped in so solid that you cannot move your body.

It would be interesting, and some people have already gotten some LFS support via some DLL's in the Oculus Rift thread that's started in this section.
I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard for the Rift to have some sort of translation support with a simple 3 axis accelerometer and some thought. If it knows rotation (via yaw sensors?) then it's a similar process? Maybe it's just a cost thing - the straw that breaks the camel's back?
It's more about not knowing what "centre" is. The TrackIR has a better idea, but the Rift doesn't.
With some clever algorithms I'd have thought it would be vaguely possible, as from acceleration you know speed, and from speed you know position. Filter the noise (carefully), and have a very slight centering 'rubber band effect' (so that in the event of no further movement it slowly bleeds back to zero displacement)... And I'm a dunce, so I'm sure the clever people behind Rift would come up with a far better, working solution.

I agree the TiR system is 'better' in so much that it can 'see' where it is, but of course the downside is that you have to be looking at the reflector on your monitors. So the advantage is also a disadvantage.

I still maintain that not being able to see the gearstick or the keyboard or whatever is a far bigger problem in real use, once the gimmick of simply playing with it has worn off (which admittedly might take a few weeks).
It's actually a bit worse than that even Tristan, I've looked at the SDK and you don't even get access to the data to deal with translation. The Rift (being proprietary in software) exposes an already processed set of data, as such.. you don't actually get the raw gyroscope data, it just tells you "yup, looking here".

That said, I don't feel yaw to be super important, and to emulate the "look over shoulder" feeling, have an animation, if you're looking past 130° (for instance), translate to left/right while doing rotation. Which makes sense rather than doing an "owl" and spinning the head right round.
What's the consumer version supposed to cost - is that vaguely decided at this point? I guess I better start saving now. 3D Vision alone is a big step in the right direction for gaming, I can't imagine it taking up my whole field of view etc - that's going to be amazing.
Oculus plans to keep the price as low as possible. There are even rumors it might be for free, but i don´t think this will happen. I expect a price around the devkit, which is 300$.

This is the offical statement from their FAQs:
"We haven’t announced the price of the consumer product, but our goal is to deliver the highest quality virtual reality experience at a price that everyone can afford."
One other sim, not a racing sim, but a vehicle sim, that is including Oculus Rift support is BeamNG.

This is all very exciting to me, finally having a reasonable way to use VR in gaming is truly revolutionary. I wouldn't mind paying $30-$100 for something like this, but a free one sure would be nice.
Euro Truck Simulator with OVR support is cool too
Ah, found the link regarding rFactor
@Tristan & Dustin

Consumer version of Oculus Rift will have sensors for translation.
This is just a 1st dev kit (early one with low resolution screen).

2014 should be a good year I think. =)

Edit: As for the price, I think the plan is to keep it around current dev kit price ($300) or lower if possible.
If the worst comes to the worst, just wear both TrackIR and OR at once..
Quote from BlackEye :@Tristan & Dustin

Consumer version of Oculus Rift will have sensors for translation.
This is just a 1st dev kit (early one with low resolution screen).

2014 should be a good year I think. =)

Edit: As for the price, I think the plan is to keep it around current dev kit price ($300) or lower if possible.

Hmm, if that's the case then I'm extremely interested in it.

Quote from Crashgate3 :If the worst comes to the worst, just wear both TrackIR and OR at once..

Which would be insanely awesome, albeit confusing visually
Early 2009 maybe. But 8:35 in that video, that looks freaking amazing.

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG