The online racing simulator
Quote from abz1 :This just makes it a whole lot easier when your starting the game for a "kid", or maybe even a first time racer.

1. If the car is set to automatic gear change, we should have it so it automatically goes into 1st gear from Neutral

2. When restarting the car the car should start in 1st gear not Neutral.

3. When the brake is held and the rpm is 0 then the car should automatic reverse.

If you think the automatic gear change should be left as it is, i still think there should be another option beside manual and automatic in the menu.

[edit]

please note, this suggestion isnt really for you hardcore gamers but as a "kid/child mode" option.

1) In Auto mode i think the car should start in 1st gear, and you need to change down yourself to get it to N.

2) Yes

3) Like my first answer. You should have to go throu N to get to reverse.
I think we need full auto transmission simulation. Meaning, you have to press on the brake to go from "P"/Park to "D"/Drive. Also, DO NOT rev in neutral, and then slam it into drive. I guarantee that it will decrease the life of an automatic transmission.
Is it useful to use loads of time on automatic transmission when everybody agrees that manual transmission is the way to go? It's faster, easier, more predictable and rewarding. When I had my pedals fixed I had to use mouse and keyboard and using the manual box was still easy and way better than the auto, even with the improvements mentiened here.

WTF people? illepall

I am just so against this...
Quote from wheel4hummer :I think we need full auto transmission simulation. Meaning, you have to press on the brake to go from "P"/Park to "D"/Drive. Also, DO NOT rev in neutral, and then slam it into drive. I guarantee that it will decrease the life of an automatic transmission.

LOL I went to schoolwith this guy who did that. He called it "The Ultimate Weapon" lol. He'd rev the car up as far as it would go in Nuetral, then slam it into drive. THe car lurched and screamed and burned rubber all the way down the block! Then one day that car made this funky noise and could only travel in reverse
Its always better just to teach them. Knowledge is power.
Quote from Racer Y :LOL I went to schoolwith this guy who did that. He called it "The Ultimate Weapon" lol. He'd rev the car up as far as it would go in Nuetral, then slam it into drive. THe car lurched and screamed and burned rubber all the way down the block! Then one day that car made this funky noise and could only travel in reverse

Must have blown the planetary gear set. That's a bad thing to blow, since it puts the engine torque to the forward gears. Glad I've got a Honda Civic, the auto transmission is well near indestructible.
I think the neutral is for when you are in a trafic jam stuck for a while put it in neutral in stead of halving your foot on the brake
1 is it stay in first gear best for icy roads
2 dont no
3 dont no
the over drive button on the gear stick is the fourth gear
and drive for all gears
half on the subject does any other cars have a magic button uder the throttle when it is pushed it goes down a gear and your off like a rocket :]best for over taking
we have a relault espase
the car wont start if it is not in park
Quote from durbster :Kids are better than adults at picking up complicated cognotive systems. All you have to do is tell them, and they'll almost certainly remember for next time.

I'm sure GPL used to give you a little text hint if you were sat still for an unusually long time (just a little message that popped up - 'press F1 for help'). Something like that would be enough.

Kids are better than adults at picking up complicated cognitive systems.

All I have to do is just shut up, be intentional and watch. They will teach me a trick or two all the time.
Damn, look at all this dust!
Wow,someone pulled out of past darkness a live proof that this forum really existed before 7.5 years!
...and I had a Honda Civic at the time! Wow!

...I do miss that car, though...
I wasn't even a member at that time :o
Auto thread locking, we really really need it.
"I think the neutral is for when you are in a trafic jam stuck for a while put it in neutral in stead of halving your foot on the brake"

Close actually, the oil in the torque converter heats up when in D and it wastes little bit of fuel compared to neutral. That is why when you expect to be standing stil for long periodes of time you should select the N-position on your autobox.

But don't get too worried about overheating auto-trans unless your autobox is in bad condition. I have driven many cars for many years with autobox, never had any issue's with overheating. Just use common sense.

Ontopic: Good suggestion to have a "childs"-mode, any mode that would boost sales of lfs is good for lfs in general as long as it doens't hurt the hardcore drivers.
Quote from Impreza WRX :...and I had a Honda Civic at the time! Wow!

...I do miss that car, though...

You had a Honda Civic at the time?

Since the dead thread, I have had a Nissan Altima, Toyota Tacoma, Mazda Tribute bought and paid in full brand new with a 5 year loan, Honda Civic, VW Jetta, and a Toyota Rav4.

Between my wife and I, we've probably put 250,000 miles on those 6 cars since then.

I'm only here because I logged in after several years now and saw subscription notifications. Had to click the 3 threads I'm subscribed to and see what they were.
Quote from mrodgers :You had a Honda Civic at the time?

Since the dead thread, I have had a Nissan Altima, Toyota Tacoma, Mazda Tribute bought and paid in full brand new with a 5 year loan, Honda Civic, VW Jetta, and a Toyota Rav4.

Between my wife and I, we've probably put 250,000 miles on those 6 cars since then.

I'm only here because I logged in after several years now and saw subscription notifications. Had to click the 3 threads I'm subscribed to and see what they were.

You still exist!
so, this thread changed its purpose to "reintroduction for old-timers" ?
...although I was never that active, I think.

Hi.
Still, though, while it would be a good bit of work, having an actual automatic transmission in the game (NOT manual-shifted-automatically) would be a ground breaker, since there is literally no other game that simulates an automatic properly, with all advantages and caveats.
Quote from Impreza WRX :Still, though, while it would be a good bit of work, having an actual automatic transmission in the game (NOT manual-shifted-automatically) would be a ground breaker, since there is literally no other game that simulates an automatic properly, with all advantages and caveats.

OMSI Bus simulator is the only game that i can think of ^^
Quote from Feffe85 :OMSI Bus simulator is the only game that i can think of ^^

It seems upcoming offroad driving game Spin Tires will also have cars (trucks actually) with realistically simulated automatic transmission. Of course, being Russian transmission, it will probably make hammering noises when it changes gears.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG