The online racing simulator
British GP [F1]
(136 posts, started )
I... I liked it.

I know that exploding tyres are a safety issue, but they brought back the uncertainty of reliability that you had in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Combine that with a very well timed set of safety cars and you got an action packed last stint.

Would watch again.
Given that they were all left rear tires and 4 of 5 were at the same point on the track, I'm guessing it was indeed a curb that was at fault. But I guess we'll have to see what happens this week.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Given that they were all left rear tires and 4 of 5 were at the same point on the track, I'm guessing it was indeed a curb that was at fault. But I guess we'll have to see what happens this week.

3 of 5 .

FTFY
Gutierrez was a front failure which wrecked the front wing according to Teds notebook on Sky.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Given that they were all left rear tires and 4 of 5 were at the same point on the track, I'm guessing it was indeed a curb that was at fault. But I guess we'll have to see what happens this week.

None of the other 6 support series' had any issues with tyres, Gp3 and Gp2 were using excessive kerbs and the kerbs havn't actually changed since last year. So in my opinion the blame lays firmly on Pirelli's shoulders, plus the body language and general tone of voice when talking about Pirelli from the drivers and teams makes me think they agree.
But Phil, when Perez' tyre went on practise, Pirelli immediately said it was a slow puncture / debris to blame and we won't be seeing any of that again. Come race, 5 failures of the same type, I honestly don't believe anything Pirelli says any more - they're simply trying to cover their tracks and escape unscathed.
Of course they arent going to come out and publicly say admit they screwed up.

Plus we have seen the same thing happen at previous races/tracks already. Are the kerbs there to blame too?
I was just posting the link James, I don't really have an opinion on it.

Random observation: Noticeable difference between DIR's blowout in Spain compared to here, in which it completely disintegrated. In Spain it simply got 'cut' and didn't disintegrate hardly at all. Could be the speed at which it let go, or the part of the tire that actually let go (sidewall vs surface).
Quote from PMD9409 :I was just posting the link James, I don't really have an opinion on it.

Random observation: Noticeable difference between DIR's blowout in Spain compared to here, in which it completely disintegrated. In Spain it simply got 'cut' and didn't disintegrate hardly at all. Could be the speed at which it let go, or the part of the tire that actually let go (sidewall vs surface).

They are totally different failures. Previous ones it was only the rubber thread separating from the steel belt, they called it delaminating. This week end it was always the belt&thread separating from the sidewall except maybe the Gutierrez one which we didn't see.
Gotcha.
Quote from BlueFlame :I'm gonna say for some reason Vettel gets a retirement. It's been a while since he's had one, he's definitely due one.

Called it
Quote from BlueFlame :I'm gonna say for some reason Vettel gets a retirement. It's been a while since he's had one, he's definitely due one.

Got something right for a change!!
Quote from BlueFlame :I couldn't find a bit where it specified they were the same as F1 tyres or not, it only said the compounds used were the same..

"Just as is the case for Formula One, the P Zero Yellow soft and P Zero Red supersoft tyres have been nominated" That means the same tyres.
The compounds in GP2 are different because FIa allows teams to test with GP2 spec tyres.

Even if they are different size, if the contruction is the same then it would be very benificial to test with them regardless.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23118249

BBC F1 technical analyst Gary Anderson went down to Turn Four, close to where two of the blowouts occurred, and found that the ridge of the kerb was "razor sharp".

FIA race director Charlie Whiting, who admitted he considered stopping the race, said he had not experienced such a problem before.
"I can't remember anything like this," said Whiting. "Four catastrophic failures is a first. It was quite close to being red-flagged."
Sneak preview of the next race in Germany:

pump it up!
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Lots of analysis here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108479

That's interesting but the main problem still remains: huge parts of the tyres are flying through the air and that's obviously very dangerous. Alonso was very lucky to be on the right side when it happened:
http://www1.skysports.com/form ... erstone-amid-tyre-fallout

I don't remember other cases of pieces of tyres flying like that and even 20 years ago the tyres had a better behaviour in this case than current Pirellis do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mjebghIy8&t=90
Pirelli blames teams over tyre failures:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23155008

Quote :Pirelli attributed blame to the teams mounting the rear tyres the wrong way around, running low tyre pressures, using extreme cambers - the angle at which the wheel is mounted on the suspension - and what it described as "high kerbs" at Silverstone.

:rolleyes:
If they are using the tyres in a way that is not the proper way, then it is their fault.

Simples.
Well, Bridgestone never had this problem.....

It's almost the equivalent of Renault saying to RedBull "your engine blew up because you were running it to 18,000rpm, really you should keep it below 15,000rpm for maximum reliability"

You can't have an F1 tyre manufacturer seriously saying the tyre explodes because the teams are exploring pretty reasonable setup procedures on a normal track. And why say it now, why not before? All the cars obviously have varying geometry and set up, yet still suffered the same problem.

British GP [F1]
(136 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG