The online racing simulator
Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
Quote from (-Mark-) :Personally i felt GTA IV's physics were the best of the series.

Agreed. The physics of GTA IV are one of the things that make me still play it. It would be a damn shame if they would listen to people crying you can't go through a corner with 200mph or whatever.
Quote from Bose321 :Agreed. The physics of GTA IV are one of the things that make me still play it. It would be a damn shame if they would listen to people crying you can't go through a corner with 200mph or whatever.

Thirded. Stunt jumps and smashing cars about with a fire engine or a bus is always great fun, and a lot more worth it than going for 100% completion.
welp Microsoft just lost their entire community with the failure that is 'Xbox 1' so I think this game will be an excellent dying breath for this franchise, at least on consoles. I cannot believe Microsoft went so far away from what a game console is supposed to be...I'm not sure they even want people to play games on it, just wave their bodies in front of the Kinect like an interpretive dance which portrays a message of sadness and disappointment for the whole family.
Quote from flymike91 :welp Microsoft just lost their entire community with the failure that is 'Xbox 1' so I think this game will be an excellent dying breath for this franchise, at least on consoles. I cannot believe Microsoft went so far away from what a game console is supposed to be...I'm not sure they even want people to play games on it, just wave their bodies in front of the Kinect like an interpretive dance which portrays a message of sadness and disappointment for the whole family.

Kinect is coming to PC.
You shall not say its name!
Quote from Senninha25 :Thirded. Stunt jumps and smashing cars about with a fire engine or a bus is always great fun, and a lot more worth it than going for 100% completion.

Fourthet...

They even had some cars have locking diffs. Most of them where just open (wich was simulated pretty good with just one wheel spinning) but cars like the Duke (dodge charger-esque car) had a locking diff etc..
I still play it allmost every day. Just do dick around in cars and run over people.
Quote from Scrabby :Fourthet...

They even had some cars have locking diffs. Most of them where just open (wich was simulated pretty good with just one wheel spinning) but cars like the Duke (dodge charger-esque car) had a locking diff etc..
I still play it allmost every day. Just do dick around in cars and run over people.

Fifthet...

It's always fun to go through a mass of people and enjoy the ragdoll physics.
Quote from Scrabby :

Actually IIRC none of the original cars had properly locking diffs, but if you modified the physics and gave enough power the car would get two wheels spinning too.
Nothing is better than shooting stuff with the explosive rounds on the AA-12
Anyone up for some multiplayer fun? (EFLC preferred)
Quote from (-Mark-) :Depends what you mean by getting the physics right.

You can't expect the cars to handle as they would in a racing simulator, that would be a waste of resources. Personally i felt GTA IV's physics were the best of the series.

I agree that IV's physics were the best in the series, but they were just 'OK'. I think there's much room for improvement without making as complex as a racing simulator.
Particularly in the area of motorbikes. I want to be able to high side!
If they introduced high-siding 90% of people would get fired into the air every time they tried to ride one.
Seeing as even dedicated bike game devs have trouble getting it somewhat right/fun, there isn't much hope, sadly.

@Crashagte, then they shouldn't be allowed to ride a bike xD
Quote from BigPeBe :Actually IIRC none of the original cars had properly locking diffs, but if you modified the physics and gave enough power the car would get two wheels spinning too.

The Duke does, try it
I don't think it does, the handling flags for the cars don't suggest there's such a thing in the game.

<?php 
HANDLING FLAGS written HEX for easier reading of flags
;    1st digit    1SMOOTH_COMPRESN    2N/A                4NPC_ANTI_ROLL        8NPC_NEUTRAL_HANDL
;    2nd digit    1NO_HANDBRAKE        2STEER_REARWHEELS 4HB_REARWHEEL_STEER    8ALT_STEER_OPT
;    3rd digit    1WHEEL_F_NARROW2    2WHEEL_F_NARROW    4WHEEL_F_WIDE            8WHEEL_F_WIDE2
;    4th digit    1WHEEL_R_NARROW2    2WHEEL_R_NARROW    4WHEEL_R_WIDE            8WHEEL_R_WIDE2
;    5th digit    1HYDRAULIC_GEOM     2HYDRAULIC_INST    4HYDRAULIC_NONE        8NOS_INST
;    6th digit    1OFFROAD_ABILITY    2OFFROAD_ABILITY2    4HALOGEN_LIGHTS        8PROC_REARWHEEL_1ST
;    7th digit    1USE_MAXSP_LIMIT    2LOW_RIDER        4STREET_RACER
;    8th digit    1SWINGING_CHASSIS    2OLD_PHYSICS
?>

I'm pretty sure it is possible though. Some cars instantly have wheelspin when a tire lifts of the ground, but some only spin with both tires. I believe it's not possible with AWD cars though, only RWD.
There's no line in the physics file what would have anything to do with the diff, but it was simply the amount of power / grip what defined how the diff worked. Less traction = "tighter" lock. Maybe the duke then was powerful enough, shame I don't have GTA installed now so can't go and test it.
I think it depends on torque and not power.. There are more powerful cars than the dukes, but only the dukes is very tail-happy.
The reason why the more powerful cars didn't have a proper diff is because the Ferrari alikes and others had much more grip too (power versus grip like I was talking about).
Torque or power it doesn't really matter which term you want to use, you are still basically talking about how much force there is to brake traction.
Unless console is different completely, i remember both wheels spinning on the futo, and most of the luxury coupes/sports cars as i drove those exclusively when I was given the chance.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Unless console is different completely, i remember both wheels spinning on the futo, and most of the luxury coupes/sports cars as i drove those exclusively when I was given the chance.

Try to do donuts in them. IIRC that was the point when the diffs "failed" in the supercars and others like that.
The screenshots look fine, though I'm surprised that Rockstar would fall for the old 'forget to blur the background you can see through the car windows' thing (see below)
It really is Photoshop 101. Or, maybe a limitation with the in-game photo mode that may or may not exist?

Nah, it just happens in pretty much all current gen console games, even in Forza and GT replays.

It's a bit tricky to get the shaders to perform motion blur in real time through glass with such limited resources that the 360 and PS3 have.

Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG