The online racing simulator
Racing Legends
(39 posts, started )
Racing Legends
I remembered this game recently and found the old west-racing site, but the forums link is gone.
There used to be a few people who knew the two devs in person and saw the game in development every once in a while, and while they didn't break their informal NDA, they let people know in the forums that it was still coming along even after the live webcams stopped filming.

Did I miss the part where it was proven to be vaporware, or have the devs just gone into Duke Nukem Forever mode?
Well, when was the last website update? Oct 2003 isn't it? I'd say it's pretty safe to say that it is dead. Too bad - that Eagle they had on the welcome page was dead sexy
Isnt this like the duke nukem forever of sim racing? At least thats the feeling i get when people ask about it. I could never find some information or any decent answers about this game.
Quote :they didn't break their informal NDA, they let people know in the forums that it was still coming along even after the live webcams stopped filming.

Did I miss the part where it was proven to be vaporware

LOL - what a reliable source of information they turned out to be then ...
#5 - axus
Its not dead, take my word for it. I'm not saying how I have that information or anything more (not that I know much more).

Don't expect it any time soon though.
#6 - Krane
I saw this whilst looking through all the games on BHMotorsports website. Models look amazing so far. But as already said, can't expect to see it anytime soon.
Quote from axus :Its not dead, take my word for it. I'm not saying how I have that information or anything more (not that I know much more).

i seriously hate it when people do this. Why even bother telling us this when your not going to reveal your source when you know that is what everyone wants to know
#9 - axus
I really don't know much more than that its still alive. I guess that is the most important thing for people. But seing as I don't want to tell you my source, you can take my words as false.
Because the source is then a) bugged for more info and b) the announcement of the source might make the source be shunned from the link and no longer be a source. Keep it anonymous and everyone is happy.

Anton has already told me it's still in progress, and I have it from someone else too (except I actually can't remember who, but it was an LFSer, although I suppose they might have used the same source as Anton did).

my source is the horses mouth, i'll leave it at that, and yes, its alive and kicking. Rome wasnt built in a day, so relax.
#12 - axus
Yeah... and don't assume that I'll be revealing much more that I found out publically. - I see little harm in saying RL is still alive but I wouldn't say more.
Sorry if i sounded like an ass earlier

I think its best if i know nothing so i will be really suprised when i find this game one day
#14 - w126
Not anytime soon in this case probably means more than 5 years from now. In this period we may see great simulations built from scratch by larger teams and released. Just think of RBR as an example, which was released in 2004 and this is what Eero Piitulainen said in ASS interview: "Then, in the summer of 2002, I saw a job advert for a physics programmer at Warthog."
What I mean is that from our point of view whether RL is alive or not doesn't matter much.
I still remember when they announced the Racing Legends. Very soon stuff like key rings (stuff that can hold your keys... http://www.racing-legends.com/expansion_packs.htm) and cd-covers started appearing on their site. Which made me think at the time that are they really focusing on what they should be - modelling, coding and planning. Instead you saw 3d models of buses...

It seems though that they are still working with it, though the worst thing is to make the sim public when you don't have even any code written. The audience can't wait more than few months before it's waporware Maybe they just realised that they need to create the tools first

Racing legends was, however nominated as the "most promising sim" in 2002 by BHM (votes by "BHMS community" = us)
Quote from axus :Its not dead, take my word for it. I'm not saying how I have that information or anything more (not that I know much more).

anybody who followed your discussions here and in the gtr2 physics thread will have already figured out where you probably got that info

btw you mentions that youve found some good data in that gtr2 thread ... mind posting some of it ?
#17 - axus
Quote from Shotglass :anybody who followed your discussions here and in the gtr2 physics thread will have already figured out where you probably got that info

btw you mentions that youve found some good data in that gtr2 thread ... mind posting some of it ?

Sure:
http://www.ftire.com
It all comes from there.
Mission to get your head around though.
Quote from axus :Sure:
It all comes from there.

...and Todd what's his face, were the really early videos of his sim Racing Legends or a seperate sim?
#19 - axus
Quote from ajp71 :...and Todd what's his face, were the really early videos of his sim Racing Legends or a seperate sim?

That was his own sim.
Quote from axus :Sure:
It all comes from there.

bah i havent even got the time to get all the work i must do done
havent you got some real measurements at extreme slip angles by any chance ?

Quote from ajp71 :...and Todd what's his face, were the really early videos of his sim Racing Legends or a seperate sim?

if i understood him right its basically vrc with bigger cars and cockpitview
#21 - axus
Quote from Shotglass :bah i havent even got the time to get all the work i must do done
havent you got some real measurements at extreme slip angles by any chance ?

Difficult to get a hold of for high slip angles... although if you spend 3-4hrs googling, I'm sure you'd come up with something real. This FEM is properly accurate though and you can do many more other tests with it.
so i guess the curves look like the ones you did for gtr2 then ? dropping off slightly approaching 90 but until then pretty much constantly at peak ?
#23 - axus
Something like that. They look nothing like the longitudinal force curve.
sure they dont identical curves would be very very bad physics
Yeah, RL is alive. Instead of producing key rings, they now produce real cars as merchandise. See attachement.

(picture was taken at Oldtimer GP 2005 at the Nürburgring)
Attached images
oldie-gp2005 005.jpg

Racing Legends
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG