The online racing simulator
How are we supposed to protect our hosts?
(55 posts, closed, started )
Quote from kingwalter :Muhahahaha omg what an so apaling call for knowledge. Tomorrow you will probably state the opposite, like last time i read about things like this : ignorance was cool, and sharing knowledge with other people was terrorism

...and u will want to answer there is good knowledge and there is bad knowledge, or something like that... c'mon do it, that'll be fun.

bla bla bla bla ... long live Beaver, Bamse and WKD, because it takes that kind of stupidity level, to wake up a stupid forum community

lol sorry no idea what your on about and i guess you have no idea either. its called logic - if you ignore a problem it gets worse - true or false , and what do you care about the lfs community if thats your logic

@vic thanks for giving some info
Vic was the one that posted info.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Vic was the one that posted info.

thanks for correction i was distacted while laughing at kingwalters post
Here (attached file) is an example of ddos attack with IP spoofing (syn flood)
in this file I have put a small part. Because the server is bombarded with tens of thousands of false IP address.
Attached files
ddos.txt - 63.2 KB - 289 views
-
(bdog922) DELETED by bdog922 : No Need
bdog moving and not facing the issue is not going to do any good for future problems,take your time and read the post and see we are on about the issue in general not just the recent attacks

also its not a playground argument where one needs to stay away from eachother if only it was a problem that easily resolved.
The devs really can't do anything to prevent this from happening. All they can really do is ban the user/users that are responsible for it when given enough proof. Even then that does not work cause all they have to do is buy another s2 account or make a new demo account. The first step to slowly stopping is doing what they suggested not to long ago about limiting demo. In my eyes I think that would a step closer to some what fixing the issue at hand. As for what bishtop said I'm with him on that running away and ignoring this will not make it better like you suggested bdog. Show me a time in the pasted where running away came out on top instead of meeting the problem head on and facing it.
I agree with daniel, the devs cant do more then what there doing already, the only way to prevent it is to pour huge amounts of money into a security system and limiting demo as dan said. But whats the point of pouring thousands of dollars into a DoS prevention system when really the people that are causing the issues are just childish idiots that have nothing better to do other then wreak other people's entertainment.

All of this was caused by jealousy, the way i see it is WKD were trying to dominate every cruise server so they could always be number one hoping they would never get caught, truth is i knew they were killing my server, i just kept quite about it.
Quote from sloan1233 :truth is i knew they were killing my server, i just kept quite about it.

Thats exactly the point, we KNOW they are responsible. The proof is out there too. You just have to look at encounters on lfsw to prove who's involved. I've also noted Victors words on monkey fecies and those who throw it, this is where the politics comes in, if its a thread thats liked, the fecies gets removed by one of the lfs zoo keepers, otherwise, it gets locked. Basically, if the topic suits, the thread is saved.

I've seen people banned just for being associated with trouble. It really does feel that bureaucracy and lfs politics get in the way of progress too often.

I've tried all kinds of software sollution, but they don't work (I ignored most of those posts as they seemed inconstructive) and I've also paid for cisco guard ontop, which makes little difference.

I am glad that this thread didn't get locked. I've managed to finally get some information on what I need.

Banning users who cause a problem does seem to stop one method of obtaining an IP. WKD admitted a vendetta against ICE, so at least now I know if they want my IP, they have to sift through every single IP on the master.

Banning all of them may not stop the problem, but its the best hope ICE has.
The best way to deal with these wankers is to setup the server so it's not visible on the master-list. Then use a third party mechanism to distribute server address to trusted parties.

It's a hassle, but that's what we used to do years back when you got idiots trying to upset a race.
Quote from bdog922 :cruisers need yo just cruise and stay the heck away from other servers while racers stay the heck away from cruise servers and that would solve some big issues right?

Not really since apparently, the cruisers hate each other. Why? I have no idea.
Quote from zeugnimod :Not really since apparently, the cruisers hate each other. Why? I have no idea.

It's the community where they are in, makes them hate or like other cruise servers , dont ask me, I never kept myself thinking about hating other Cruise / Drift or Race communities, hell no its better to accept eachother than hating.
Quote from holy mate :It's the community where they are in, makes them hate or like other cruise servers , dont ask me, I never kept myself thinking about hating other Cruise / Drift or Race communities, hell no its better to accept eachother than hating.

I agree.
Quote from Victor :hush hush

The problem here is that in every thread about WKD, it turns into a room full of monkeys throwing fecies at each other. So these threads are closed. That should not be seen as shoving things under the carpet - it should be seen as keeping the room slightly sanitary as opposed to applauding the monkeys ruining the place.
Another point is that people want revenge on the remaining WKD members. But as with the ones who have been banned now, I need proof to take away access to their account and license for which they paid. If I start doing that without knowing for sure who is in voilation of the agreement, I myself am in violation. Diligence is required. I can't blindly and / or out of rage start banning people.

help the community help us

You say we don't want the community to come together and fix this problem. Well, all I can say is that of course I want the community to come together and solve this problem! It didn't really seem possible so far though (see the monkey reference).
If a normal discussion about how to deal with these attacks can be held, then great.

so how to deal then?

This is the problem that has already been touched upon by several others. DoS attacks (specifically the types where the sender's ip address is faked) are hard to deal with, if the attacks are bigger than your internet connection speed. For this reason we have moved to another datacenter so we can deal with bigger attacks. Our old host couldn't provide the capacity and in fact were affected by the attacks as well. They did eventually place some filters on their edge routers, but a SYN attack for example wouldn't be stopped by them.

In the case of people who rent a host somewhere, you will probably not have access to the firewall, so you must contact the host's support and see if they can help out. Most UDP floods for example can easily be blocked by them and is the least they could do. If they cannot handle that (the UDP floods I've seen weren't that enormous) then maybe it's time to look for another host.

I think this is also one of the reasons why with the big games, you cannot run your own hosts. They need to be run by approved and contracted game host providers who are setup to deal with these things (you don't think LFS is the only game where this is a problem do you?)

For the rest .. there isn't much else you can do yourself though. Even when you identify culprits and we ban them, it doesn't mean they can no longer run an attack on you. The experience is that they continue as long as it's enjoyable to do so. This is why some people and me included advice not to make too much noise about it. They feed on that.

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that they only have interest in dosing the immature cruisers. (of course some mature servers are being hit by this as well, but yeah).
It's a shame that this has happened, and that it has accumulated so much time from the dev's that it has delayed the release of new tyre physics once again by another 3 years.
Quote from Bmxtwins :Am I the only one who finds it interesting that they only have interest in dosing the immature cruisers. (of course some mature servers are being hit by this as well, but yeah).
It's a shame that this has happened, and that it has accumulated so much time from the dev's that it has delayed the release of new tyre physics once again.

Maybe it's you who is dossing everyone now since you have such a problem with cruiser's
Lets just go all American and go "DDOS IS AN INSIDE JOB!".

:eyeroll:
Quote from edge3147 :Maybe it's you who is dossing everyone now since you have such a problem with cruiser's

Immature cruisers. Yes, I have a problem with them polluting our forum with thousands of WKDEEE threads.
may i remind that wkd is finished
may i just remind to those who still do not get it!

WKD IS FINISHED!!! we have kicked bamse out of our ts and banned him. at this very moment i can tell you beav horn kerser fluff and a few others have decided to move onto ARMA2. they have moved on from wkd/lfs incuding myself because i was a super admin there.

if you are still getting dossed please stop accusing us for it. for all i know it could be bamse still who is doing it if not it could be some disguntled crusier who got banned.

for the last time we are not doing it.

Harley
Quote from harley a :may i just remind to those who still do not get it!

WKD IS FINISHED!!! we have kicked bamse out of our ts and banned him. at this very moment i can tell you beav horn kerser fluff and a few others have decided to move onto ARMA2. they have moved on from wkd/lfs incuding myself because i was a super admin there.

if you are still getting dossed please stop accusing us for it. for all i know it could be bamse still who is doing it if not it could be some disguntled crusier who got banned.

Harley

Why don't you just stick to the WKD TS and leave us be then.
Quote from Bmxtwins :It's a shame that this has happened, and that it has accumulated so much time from the dev's that it has delayed the release of new tyre physics once again by another 3 years.

That's why we have moderators, Have you noticed most these threads go ignored by Victor and Scawen?

Don't blame this on the delay of updates, that is just part of the process with this game, even you should know this.
Quote from harley a :may i just remind to those who still do not get it!

Harley

well beav and horn are going to wreck arma2 as well shame that is actually a good military game. but back on topic no one gives two shits about wkd members and what they are doing now so move on stop obsessing over the past....

on another note yea going to private server would help a lot by only letting trusted users on but one that is a pain too. also how are you suppose to grow your team/community if you don't open up and let people in. it is a catch 22 so to speak damned if you do damned if you don't
Lol
.... Not sure why i'm even bothering to write this post......

Simple facts are - most WKD members are so ****ed off with all the slander and verbal abuse from all this DDos malarkey that they don't bother with this game anymore, myself included.

Its a real shame people don't have the maturity to deal with these attacks on a case by case basis without just using the default - 'DDos attack AAARRRGGHH must be WKD' button.

I know a lot of you still have some growing up to do, hopefully you'll do it in here, In the real world if you were to go around slanderously blaming people you'd likely regret it!

anyway peace out everyone - who ever is behind these attacks might just get bored, but as you all like to blame WKD the attacker/s are probably reading these forum posts and laughing at how there getting away with it!

Quote from Bmxtwins :Immature cruisers. Yes, I have a problem with them polluting our forum with thousands of WKDEEE threads.

In actual fact, cruisers are not against cruisers, racers or drifters. For the best part we're all happy to co-exist. Sadly LFS has another style of user, its called the anti. Only people causing problems are those who can't co-exist. Can I also point out that ICE isn't running a cruise server, its a race server, and I believe this is the same of MRc (I could be wrong) so stop trying to play the 'cruisers' card. This thread wasn't a flame pit until an anti-cruiser showed up.

Finally, if a ZOO KEEPER could report to the monkey cages, this thread isn't about slandering WKD, its about how we protect ourselves against DDoS attacks. If that involves excluding individuals, then so be it. If your not happy about it, not my problem or fault, go complain to your leader.

I'd prefer if this thread gets cleaned up rather than locked as its actually been a constructive help.

One final thought, if all the WKD people have moved on, why are they bothered whats being said? and why are they bothering with the forums? Isn't that ironic or something?
haha
Lol I have a job! When i'm sitting at work installing a new server or rebuilding a raid array I browse the net.
LFS forums is on said internet!
Your tag seems to say a little more than about you.... your just another hater who needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Banning all WKD members wont help, but hey then you could start banning all RC members too as they have been know to DDos, but that wont help so maybe then start on the LTC members? or TC? or CLC? how for do you want to go??

My point is YOU! have turned this into slander! YOU have the tag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor
In any case I hope people will not start blaming the remaining WKD members for something others have done. It was a tight group of 5 people who caused disturbances.
Clearly not the case. We've no choice but to protect host and ban all wkd's until this is all resolved.

So there you go.

Lets also realise one more point!! There are NO WKD members ITS GONE!! deal with it
Ladies! Put away the handbags.

We know that a specific set of WKD people were responsible for the attacks. There's no need to drag the rest of them into this debate.
im was from WKD to, am i a ddoser to?
#50 - CSF
Love it.
This thread is closed

How are we supposed to protect our hosts?
(55 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG