The online racing simulator
Meh
Hello,

We do not have release date for S3 yet. It will come out but not for quite a long time yet.

Thanks for your patience.
S3 will come out when it comes out, end of story i dont care if it takes another 5 years, ill stick to LFS because its the god damn best racing simulator ever!
5 years if we're lucky.
Here you go...

I went through high school waiting for scirocco (2008-2012).
I remember, being 14, in year 8 at high school, all my mates, I didn't have many so my circle of two other friends were all competing on who was the best at Nitto racing when one day one of them said something about LFS.

Curious, when I got home that night I searched it and downloaded, this is back in the days of S1, before car damage tyre wear etc etc. a year later I convinced my mum to buy me S1, and a year after that S2 when it came out. I even remember the leaked version of S2 with the LX8, I wish I still had it
I played the shit out of it on my Pentium II processor to the point I'd take days off school just to sit home and race.
It wasn't until about 2 years after that when I bought a wheel, a shitty little spring feed back180 degrees bottom range logitech. eventually upgrading to G25, G27 and a full race setup.

I guess my point is, I've grown up with LFS and it's always been the stand out game for me. it kept me entertained through high school, to getting a job, to buying a house, to amusing my self to watching first timers play.

Over the past few years though, I've come to feel sad for it, a bit like a depressed grandpa with dementia. Locked in an old persons home who you some times go and visit in the hope he remembers something from the good old days or just to hang onto something that once was.

I still think about LFS, and I come to these forums twice a month with the small hope that I'll see a thread with the title.

"S3 Alpha nearly here"

I'm really starting to doubt this though.

The Dev's say they don't see the point in announcing their progress, wind the clock back to the time between S1 and S2, there was continues updates and screen shots of what is to come
Quote from FPVaaron :I remember, being 14, in year 8 at high school, all my mates, I didn't have many so my circle of two other friends were all competing on who was the best at Nitto racing when one day one of them said something about LFS.

Curious, when I got home that night I searched it and downloaded, this is back in the days of S1, before car damage tyre wear etc etc. a year later I convinced my mum to buy me S1, and a year after that S2 when it came out. I even remember the leaked version of S2 with the LX8, I wish I still had it
I played the shit out of it on my Pentium II processor to the point I'd take days off school just to sit home and race.
It wasn't until about 2 years after that when I bought a wheel, a shitty little spring feed back180 degrees bottom range logitech. eventually upgrading to G25, G27 and a full race setup.

I guess my point is, I've grown up with LFS and it's always been the stand out game for me. it kept me entertained through high school, to getting a job, to buying a house, to amusing my self to watching first timers play.

Over the past few years though, I've come to feel sad for it, a bit like a depressed grandpa with dementia. Locked in an old persons home who you some times go and visit in the hope he remembers something from the good old days or just to hang onto something that once was.

I still think about LFS, and I come to these forums twice a month with the small hope that I'll see a thread with the title.

"S3 Alpha nearly here"

The Dev's say they don't see the point in announcing their progress, wind the clock back to the time between S1 and S2, there was continues updates and screen shots of what is to come

bravo +10 .
Yes, well said
Quote from FPVaaron :... I didn't have many so my circle of two other friends were all competing on who was the best at Nitto Racing when one day one of them said something about LFS...

Those guys?
Quote from FPVaaron :I remember, being 14, in year 8 at high school, all my mates, I didn't have many so my circle of two other friends were all competing on who was the best at Nitto racing when one day one of them said something about LFS.

"S3 Alpha nearly here"

Thanks for sticking around.

"S3 Alpha nearly here"

I'm basically the same. Started playing when I was 12 when I found it on RSC. Already had a crappy Madcatz wheel at that point. Got S1 sometime ago (March 25th, 2004) and S2 whenever it came out.

Nearly 10 years of LFS for me, and I still enjoy it. I won't give up hope that S3 will ever be released because it will, and it'll be great fun.
Quote from dawesdust_12 : I won't give up hope that S3 will ever be released because it will, and it'll be great fun.

Im not here that long but +1
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I won't give up hope that S3 will ever be released because it will, and it'll be great fun.

thats the spirit!
I love this thread sometimes. Nice post FPVaaron. I can relate to a few of the things you mentioned.
Even when the devs have said that we will inform you when S3 is released, go do something else in the meanwhile, there is still a implied promise that we should not give up on LFS. But the non communication from the devs is irritating nevertheless, the 5 years without new content and the first hourly, the daily, then weekly and then monthly visit to the forums has been for me wasted time. All for the promise "we are working on it". Would have been better to give it us straight "we are not really working full time on it so don't expect an update any day in the forseen future".

Forget the Scirocco, I doubt they have the license for it.
its good to see racers that have used for lfs for so long. i wish i had heard of it so far back.

on the matter of the s3 content we cannot miss what weve never had. but agree that if it was not to be then we should be informed.

i dont know scawen that well, and only have communicated over some matters through pm's but id say that he doesnt seem like the kind of guy to string people along for nothing. if s3 wasnt going to ever be released, why wouldnt he tell us?
Am i the only one thats not bothered about the new S3 content?
Quote from gazaweb :Am i the only one thats not bothered about the new S3 content?

When I was playing a lot content was all I cared about. I just wanted new and exciting track environments with great configs to learn and have great races on.

Now that I'm playing LFS far far less, and after a long hiatus, yes I still want to see what they do offer us when it finally arrives, but I'm probably more interested in the tyre model now than I was back then. Back then I just thought: "this is already great fun, just give me more places to enjoy it".
LFS is only facing what every other developer is facing - advanced tyre models are ****ing complicated. The only difference is LFS doesn't release a new graphic engine, or new tracks, or new cars to hide the fact there are still fundamental issues.

I am not sure I'd be overly happy for LFS to release a few new tracks and cars, with a slightly updated tyre model, just to please the masses and to earn a few extra bucks. It would be a betrayal of the developer's philosophy of 'it'll be done when it's done'.

When or if (does it matter?) LFS does release an updated tyre model you know fine well it will be market leading product. There's no subscription to LFS, it's not like iRacing when you have to constantly pay and the developers are pressured into putting out something, we're not losing out.

I kinda mental that if we all hypothetically are committed to buying S3, we've got some dude working his arse off with the pure motivation to get something right. If he is finding constant problems, and not releases rubbish, fair play. What is it gonna cost us? £12? mental!
Quote from gazaweb :Am i the only one thats not bothered about the new S3 content?

my post says the same, we cannot miss what we have not had and there is enough combo's to focus on for a while still
So, havnt read a single thing since last time i dropped by, except the rly nice post from FPVaaron.
Scawen is nowhere to be seen?
No news or updates?
Why not admit they are on a looooong hiatus?
Because, they might not be on a long hiatus. Scawen has admitted himself that he would've released everything a long time ago had he realized that it was going to take this long for the physics, but of course he never foresaw it taking this long. At this point, I'm sure he (rightly) realizes that if he were to release a half complete tyre physics just to get it released, a lot of the community would be disappointed. So instead, he just keeps plugging away at was has been called "the dark arts of sim racing" by other developers, people with teams of programmers and mountains of data to help them out. Scawen is doing it on his own, it's going to take a while to get right.

One of the things I think people do wrong when it comes to S3 is that they always expect it to be right around the corner. Fact is, it isn't. You ought to either play LFS as it is (still as fun as ever when you can get some numbers online) or move on with your life. Instead of expecting to see an update every time you visit the forums, just hope for it. You'll be much happier when one finally comes along.

The only thing I wonder is whether or not this is still a full time job for the developers. I mean, how many licenses are sold nowadays?
I can assure you that it's not their fulltime job anymore. Without going to details one of the developers admited that nowdays primary scource of incomme is by working on a bakery.

I am sure that Scawen works on the tyre physics, but if he is able to finish them, I am not sure anymore.

We allways hear that Eric is and has been working on stuff, but little has been shown on that front since Eric refuses to show pictures or stuff of his work before he is satisfied with it, and as far as I know that means when he has completed it.
Wheter or not he has LFS as primary anymore I do not know, but my best guess is that the 3 of them have other types of work, or they would not be able to feed their families.

If I belive if S3 is going to be released? - Not sure anymore to be honest, it just seems as Scawen has taken a little too big task, and now he is in a state where he struggles to progress but at same time canot release anything because it would let down the community.
The fact is however, no matter how good the tyre physics are, by the time they are relased the game will be 10+ years old, and even the hardest of the fanboys must admit the techology has gone forward. Now there are so many games to pick from, with excelent graphics and improving physics. And going online in LFS thesedays just makes me sad, there is 1-2 racing servers online with people on them, rest is either demo og cruise. In fact the best races I'v had this last year was on demo servers with demo racers, and I think that shows that this game is not doing well.

But who knows, maybe S3 is released this year, maybe the physics are spot on and in top of the field, but as time passes I think our immagination is making LFS bigger and better / the expectation for what's to come far better than what we actually will get. By the time it will be released there most likely will be other games that servers the same entertaining as LFS, alltho they might not have the same good feel as LFS. The physics alone is not going to keep this game continuing, the community will, but as long as the developers shut down their community - well then things starts to look bleak.

But again, I might be wrong, I might not, time will tell, but something must soon happend. 2008 was long ago....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG