The online racing simulator
No one is stopping them from creating some synthetic sound and sampling it... They should be able to sample the really thing easily though.
Interesting(ish) latest tweets about beginning multiplayer testing and working on AI, and no multiplayer demo.

AI is there for when there is no online racing available, or worth bothering with. The fact they they're only just testing the multiplayer is not filling me with optimism and I think it shows a real lack of confidence in the product to not release a multiplayer demo, it's what we all want to try. If I had made a brilliant online system, I would say "AI can wait, online is what we're about, and this is how good it is, try our demo". Pretty much what LFS did.

I don't see why you wouldn't release a demo of it if it's good enough to impress today's sim racers.
Or maybe it's like "trust us, there's no need to test it". I've heard all kinds of horror stories about nKp's multiplayer but a friend of mine is reassuring me that the netcode is great.
It's funny how ahead of time was LFS, looking back now.. with it's MP, the LFS world, the setup sharing, LFS viewer, etc..
Quote from sinbad :...AI is there for when there is no online racing available, or worth bothering with...

Don't be so sure, I personally play alone 85% of the times, 10% against AI and 5% online. In generally I don't like people's attitude when gaming, is hard ro find a proper racer, so I rather play against the AI. I know we' re a minority though, but we can't be ignored.
Quote from NitroNitrous :In generally I don't like people's attitude when gaming, is hard ro find a proper racer, so I rather play against the AI.

So basically you'd race online if the racing available was "worth bothering with"?
I don't deny that people would use the AI (if it's worth bothering with ) but most of them are like you, or all of us in fact, and only resort to that if there is no easy, fun, accessible and dependable online racing available. The more that people find themselves racing AI, the more indicative that is that the multiplayer element is not good enough, for whatever reason.
Focus on the multiplayer.
Sorry Nitro but AI racing in 2013? There's nothing like good online race, prefferably a league or something, with qualifications etc.. If i'm in the mood of driving alone then I will Hotlap, i just can't 'race' the AI.
Quote from Boris Lozac :...There's nothing like good online race...

Theoretically that's right, but in practice you don't find proper racers. Maybe in iRacing thanks to their points and penalty systems, but the game itself sucks.

Quote from sinbad :...for whatever reason...

It actually depends on the reason. If the problem is how people play, there is not much they can do...

I'm not against multiplayer, and I hope the game comes with a proper code and online system, but I lost hope in peoples attitude online long time ago, not only in racing sims but any kind of game.
Then you went to some really shit servers.. Every decent team has it's own server or two, admins almost always online, no idiots etc..
Quote from Postman Pat :Is anyone a bit disappointed with A.C's graphics?

One of the first driving games I remember playing:

Even by those graphics one was blown away when the previous "best graphics" few years previous was from PONG.

So no, I can't say I'm disappointed at any thing I play today when it comes to graphics :geezer:
Attached images
104621-stunt-track-racer-atari-st-screenshot-getting-closes.jpg
I loved Stunt Car Racer. Because of it I AM disappointed by modern games a lot of the time
Never completed it though. AI got too good, and car got too fragile (and I was/am rubbish), but played it for several years virtually non stop. A lot of racing games could learn a lot from it.
Oh god yes, that was an amazing game. How moddable will AC be? Could someone put a modern version of those tracks in there?

One thing I never worked out (as I had an, ahem, 'aquired' version, so no instructions) was what the black circles that appeared in the damage meter along the top indicated. Anyone know?
The cracks were slight damage, the holes were major damage (effectively an inch of crack in one hit). Mainly received from falling off the circuit.
Ahh, Stunt Car Racer on Amiga 1000... the first touch to sim racing!

The physics were so damn far ahead of their time in that game compared to anything else.
Proper offline mode means little more than just having an ai. You need a system to manage the races and competitors somehow. GT5 for example has over thousand cars and tens of different tracks but as offline racing sim it is very limited in many ways. You can make it do things it is not meant to do (I just had 4 lapper race in rain in nordschleife in slightly tuned merc e190) but it requires lots of luck and some planning.

You only get decent opposition if you handicap your car and even then the races have maybe one or two cars that go really fast while the rest go really slow. No multiclasses and no control at all over what kind of opponents you have. Which restricts a lot what kind of cars you can drive in the first place...

So simply having ai is not really enough for an offline experience. You want to adjust their speed so they can be made faster or slower than you and you want to be able to make the races configurable in some ways as well.
Quote from Hyperactive :Proper offline mode means little more than just having an ai. You need a system to manage the races and competitors somehow. GT5 for example has over thousand cars and tens of different tracks but as offline racing sim it is very limited in many ways. You can make it do things it is not meant to do (I just had 4 lapper race in rain in nordschleife in slightly tuned merc e190) but it requires lots of luck and some planning.

You only get decent opposition if you handicap your car and even then the races have maybe one or two cars that go really fast while the rest go really slow. No multiclasses and no control at all over what kind of opponents you have. Which restricts a lot what kind of cars you can drive in the first place...

So simply having ai is not really enough for an offline experience. You want to adjust their speed so they can be made faster or slower than you and you want to be able to make the races configurable in some ways as well.

How you handicap them, or yourself is crucial.
No matter what you do in gt5 you never get anything resembling a proper race. A fast car being driven erratically and slowly is not entertaining opposition for a fast driver in a slow car. The a.i has to be capable of a very quick pace whilst maintaining a good spatial awareness or it's hopeless. Turning their "level of attack" down or up to match your own lap times in a realistic way of being slower is far more preferable to slowing yourself with car and tyre handicapping.
Easier said than done, no doubt.
Proper (automatic) racing management, SP or not, can be done easily if the system is extendable. LFS's scripting+InSim is a great example.

Proper AI is way harder.
Quote from sinbad :How you handicap them, or yourself is crucial.
No matter what you do in gt5 you never get anything resembling a proper race. A fast car being driven erratically and slowly is not entertaining opposition for a fast driver in a slow car.

Do they still drive around on rails and smash into you as if you're not there? The last Gran Turismo game I played was gt3.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Do they still drive around on rails and smash into you as if you're not there? The last Gran Turismo game I played was gt3.

Pretty much yes
Quote from Crashgate3 :Do they still drive around on rails and smash into you as if you're not there?

That said, it's still not that different to public multiplayer....
Any suggestions with the force feedback settings with a T500RS? Decided to give it a go and to be honest I'm kinda dissappointed. I don't feel when the car is losing traction in the rear like I do with LFS (best FF ever IMO) or even GT5, and when it does, the second countersteering is just as bad as GT5, or even worst, while in LFS is lovely, extremelly intuitive and precise... help?
Quote from NitroNitrous :Any suggestions with the force feedback settings with a T500RS? Decided to give it a go and to be honest I'm kinda dissappointed. I don't feel when the car is losing traction in the rear like I do with LFS (best FF ever IMO) or even GT5, and when it does, the second countersteering is just as bad as GT5, or even worst, while in LFS is lovely, extremelly intuitive and precise... help?

That's exactly what I get on the G25, tried many settings and all of them felt way disconected from the car reactions.
G27 here. I think it might be the car? It seems to have a lot of grip and is not very easy to get the tail out anyway. I think I'd need to try more car types to pass judgement on the the FFb/handling. At the moment, I think it it's very good (using LFS as a reference).

You can see pretty similar characteristics in this vid (damp track too). Lots of grip but when it goes, it looks a bit unpredictable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESwFWlAIpgs

ps, I am aware they are slightly different models, 111r/SC
I don't have problems when I want to make the car slide, I just don't feel it coming, I don't feel the weight transfer that people talks about, not at all...
Good to know I'm not the only one Whiskey, hopefully is a problem with the TP version and will work fine in the final one.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG